Stubborn Pudelpointer

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Stubborn Pudelpointer

Postby Doc E » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:35 am

As WillieT said, "I would go back to the yard and revisit obedience. Give the command once and only once. Insure compliance. Then I would add distractions and proof it."

And then de-chase.
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1500 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:50 am

Doc E wrote:As WillieT said, "I would go back to the yard and revisit obedience. Give the command once and only once. Insure compliance. Then I would add distractions and proof it."

And then de-chase.

I would do the above as well. Assuming the dog is thoroughly trained on a Whoa command I would work the dog on birds in launchers in a cross wind. The moment the dog turns to the scent cone, I would launch the bird if the dog does not slam on point. Having dechased the dog you can issue a whoa and stimulate if the dog gives any chase when the launched bird flies away. Most dogs through repetition and a pointing instinct will start consistently pointing vs roading in. Then you can launch and shoot the bird and give the dog a positive reward for its pointing behavior. As others have said, the dog gets its own strokes from chasing so you stop that using a known/trained command of Whoa and then teach the dog it will be rewarded with a retrieve only through pointing vs advancing into the scent cone.

When you dechase the dog, do it using only the visual of released birds down wind of the dog with no scent or pointing involved. I Whoa my dogs, then have an assistant releasing downwind pigeons at a distance. As the dog learns to stay standing with no movement the assistant moves closer. Only after the dog has learned to make no movement with birds being thrown all around them do I go to upwind birds set on the ground and pointing. And then I am using launchers so I can control against any advancing into the scent cone on the part of the dog.

Hopefully this makes sense. PM me if does not.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:10 pm

Great post, thanks. Well you have trained lots of dogs, and pointing dogs too, so what is the problem? You have a very good dog so that's not it.

I'm not sure I can add much to some of the excellent advice but I have two thoughts, along the lines of what Willy T has said. I use the huntsmith method with multiple whoa posts and can recommend it without reservation.

The second point, and this is new. Do you miss a lot of birds when shooting? I think that your dog figures that you shouldn't miss any. The idea of getting him steady will come with time but you can test my theory, take a couple of friends, but you just hold the collar controller, no gun. Get friends that are the best shooters you know. We have a guy in our club that doesn't miss, that's how I did this.

When he locks up, stand beside him and don't move, let the friends flush the birds, don't let him break, finger on the buzzer.

If you try it, tell us what happens. My dog knew where I was, saw the bird hit and stayed until I sent her. An editorial comment on how well I shoot, I guess.
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Training