Overly Shy Pup

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Overly Shy Pup

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:12 pm

I can tell you what my experiences have been with those dog's. I have never been able to cure one of them. It is a genetic defect. Were I you, and I know it would be very hard to do, I'd return him to the breeder and try a different pup. You'll hopefully have this dog a long time so you want the best dog you can get. Good luck with him because I don't think you'll ever fix him, but I realize your family may make you keep the pup. Tough situation. All dog's are different but I have never seen a dog like you describe ever really made into a socially functional animal.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bwjohn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:07 pm

Orhunter,
No need to get a different breed! The vizsla is a fine breed with plenty of good to great examples. All breeds are capable of producing a dog that has theses issues. I have a dd right now that has some high anxiety issues, does that mean The owner should drop the dog and go with a different breed?
I just so happen to have the aforementioned dogs brother from the same litter. They have been together since birth, and side by side or even in the same kennel for a lot of their lives. The other is completely well adjusted and a sound temperament. Sometimes these things just happen!

Brandon
bwjohn
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Kiger2 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:31 pm

BWjohn,

You'll have to forgive or hunter, he is without question the most breed blind person on the inter web!
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RedBird » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:52 am

Thank you all for your replies. Kids & life took over the weekend but intended to get back here to respond, starting with AG, sooner.

No one has said anything I haven't thought or considered; however, my heart won't let me send the pup back at present. The kids would be so upset & call bunk on lessons/values we try to teach re: commitment etc. The pup isn't the temperament hoped/asked for, but it's what I got. There were no signs of shyness when visiting or on video, but here we are w/ a few glimmers of hope. He is a fun loving boy at home & outdoors. Biddable aside from shyness.

Ran the pup under Duke power lines (wildlife pathway) this weekend & he was free and bold in spirit. Powderkeg. Using his nose to find some birds to boot. Splashed & waded much farther in cool creek water on his own accord. My 12 y/o had a friend over (pup met once before several weeks ago) & greeted her like a long lost buddy. Several leash walks through the hood, and although you could tell Boone wasn't relaxed (ears half cocked & furrowed brow), he was moving w/ the flow & tail was half mast not tucked. Husband thinks he's just slower to mature/come into his own commensurate w/ other pups of similar age. I realize we may be just looking through rose colored glasses, but I'm not ready to give up yet. It would take a turn on the kids, visitor, or innocent stranger for me to say adios w/out question. We shall see.
Last puppy class is tonight :crazyeyes:

Again, thank you all for the input & advice! 97% of the folks here at VD know &/or have more experience w/ bird dog training, so I do consider everyone's feedback.
RedBird
Pup
Pup

Postby orhunter » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:55 am

Brandon: I simply don’t know a person’s experience in picking pups so my comment in many/most situations was wrong. Just not every situation. Something else I don’t know is how much research went into picking the breeder and it is possible in this case it was more of a breeder problem than breed? If a person simply went back to the breeder and exchanged the pup, the end result could be similar. Change breeders, change the dog.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:16 pm

I've seen what your describing in a several dogs (nervousness/fear around other dogs) in the breed over the years. Enough that it seems a bit of a notable trait in my memory (and a few others) even though I've definitely seen some fine dogs in the breed too. One thing I would suggest is shutting down the growling. Let the dog know it is not acceptable and work from there. Praise and reward what you like.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:11 pm

I'd take him somewhere you can have him off leash with people, but not tons of them, dogs too. A park in town where you throw the ball. Take him to the brewery and have a beer and ignore him as much as you can with him on a leash. A NAVHDA training day. To play with a neighbors dog; could be a doodle or a pitbull as long as it's confirmed friendly.

I'll catch flak for this, but a dog park if you have a good one, maybe doggie daycare.

Be patient. I think that some of this is just the dog growing up. At 8 weeks the dog was plenty ready to leave the litter to your house, so you didn't get him too early.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:52 pm

Redbird, I understand and wish you, your family and the pup a great outcome.

I strongly advise against the Dog Park suggestion as they are a free for all environment notorious for uncontrolled dogs and trouble. The exact opposite of what will be beneficial to your pup at least for some time. All the rest of JONOV's post are good suggestions. That last thing you need is for your pup to get around a dog which is ill-tempered, growls or worse.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:46 pm

Best Wishes for you and Boone. I grew up with Viszlas and fond memories of hunting with these handsome dogs. Ours were all what I would call one person dogs and aloof with strangers and outsider dogs. They had to be watched or kenneled until they accepted the new comer into the pack. The older they got the more laid back in the house but were always good watch dogs which was alright in our rural setting. They would not have made very good therapy dogs unless your therapy was to go hunt some wild, wily roosters!

How does he do with your Dashhund other than I’ll assume high energy play with the old dog? Have you been able to see his interaction or lack there of out in the field hunting/exposing him to another hunting dog? I’m just wondering if his focus is on a job at hand what instinct takes over, the fear/nerviousness or focus back on task at hand? This may give you a clue to if there is a desirable future or a dog you can’t trust and will end up in a kennel most of the time. Viszlas I knew don’t do to well locked in a kennel all the time.

At one time I was looking hard at getting a Wirehair Vizsla but I saw the nervous tendencies in the adult dogs of the two breeders I visited. Went a different way but have since seen a couple at NAVHDA training that I would love to own.

My point is that don’t settle with a dog with temperament issues. All dogs have there pros and cons but you need plenty more pros and just a couple cons. Undesirable temperament will just result in more cons down the road. Especially if it is to be a therapy dog.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RedBird » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:47 pm

I'll figure out how to "like" posts, but in the interim, thanks kiger2, AvgGuy, bwjohn, JONOV, Ryanr, Dmog, onhunter et.al

I'm aware of the nervous tendencies seen in Vizslas which is why I tried to prevent w/ research, reputable breeding, & time. I've seen the heebie-jeebies 1st hand in Vizslas , as well as, in several other breeds stereotypically known for being "bomb proof" in temperament comparatively.

Dmog- Boone torments the daschund! He can't seem to understand why she's so lame re: play. Lol. He wants to chase & have fun. He hasn't been out w/ hunting dogs but also doesn't seem to be phased by the big, bad, scary world when he's out running around off leash.

Our last class went well tonight! One big takeaway was Boone will approach people/dogs. He just likes to initiate. Ha. Beastly GSP came running, b4 class , & Boone yelped w/ some hackle show; however, w/in 30 seconds, he rebounded & was very curious sniffing nose & warning. No growling (agreed definite no-no). He approached several people trying to sniff their clothes & hands. Timidly? Yes, but he's initiating & showing real interest. Tonight was test night, so we hung around. By end, Boone was being playful & all in the biz of 2 other pups. Again, glimmers of hope.

Boone needs some friendly dog experience. Where to get? Closest NAVHDA meets couple hours away. Not again until Nov. Anybody in Carolinas? Upstate SC/Piedmont NC?

More to comment on & say, but it's late for me. Grateful for all the suggestions posted & DM . Thank you very much!! Truly.

Sorry for any typos.
RedBird
Pup
Pup

Postby JONOV » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:53 pm

RedBird wrote:I'll figure out how to "like" posts, but in the interim, thanks kiger2, AvgGuy, bwjohn, JONOV, Ryanr, Dmog, onhunter et.al

I'm aware of the nervous tendencies seen in Vizslas which is why I tried to prevent w/ research, reputable breeding, & time. I've seen the heebie-jeebies 1st hand in Vizslas , as well as, in several other breeds stereotypically known for being "bomb proof" in temperament comparatively.

Dmog- Boone torments the daschund! He can't seem to understand why she's so lame re: play. Lol. He wants to chase & have fun. He hasn't been out w/ hunting dogs but also doesn't seem to be phased by the big, bad, scary world when he's out running around off leash.

Our last class went well tonight! One big takeaway was Boone will approach people/dogs. He just likes to initiate. Ha. Beastly GSP came running, b4 class , & Boone yelped w/ some hackle show; however, w/in 30 seconds, he rebounded & was very curious sniffing nose & warning. No growling (agreed definite no-no). He approached several people trying to sniff their clothes & hands. Timidly? Yes, but he's initiating & showing real interest. Tonight was test night, so we hung around. By end, Boone was being playful & all in the biz of 2 other pups. Again, glimmers of hope.

Boone needs some friendly dog experience. Where to get? Closest NAVHDA meets couple hours away. Not again until Nov. Anybody in Carolinas? Upstate SC/Piedmont NC?

More to comment on & say, but it's late for me. Grateful for all the suggestions posted & DM . Thank you very much!! Truly.

Sorry for any typos.

DM me and I’ll get you information regarding the Carolinas and Tarheel chapter. Tarheel meets in Lillington NC and our training day is the first Saturday in November.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:26 am

Take him somewhere there are a lot of young women that wanna play with the puppy. Brewery with a nice outdoor area is my recommendation.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:36 am

Redbird,

I would look for OB classes and Trainers who are close enough to get with periodically. After explaining the situation and the need for reliable friendly dogs to meet and greet with, I expect they could easily assist with that. Also contact your nearest NAVHDA chapter and speak with an Officer about the same. My thought/expectation is there are likely members who travel an hour or two to the chapter training days and they might be close enough to you to meet up with you for the purpose outside of the once a month training days. There are usually some members who train far more regularly than once a month who you might be able to meet up with. Again, I would do some interview conversation to ensure the dog and handler you are meeting up with is a laid back reliable and well under control team so your pup gets the kind of positive experience that is helpful vs harmful.

Your update sounds positive, keep up the good work. Prayer works and you all are in mine.
Last edited by AverageGuy on Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:05 pm

RedBird wrote:Our last class went well tonight! One big takeaway was Boone will approach people/dogs. He just likes to initiate. Ha. Beastly GSP came running, b4 class , & Boone yelped w/ some hackle show; however, w/in 30 seconds, he rebounded & was very curious sniffing nose & warning. No growling (agreed definite no-no). He approached several people trying to sniff their clothes & hands. Timidly? Yes, but he's initiating & showing real interest. Tonight was test night, so we hung around. By end, Boone was being playful & all in the biz of 2 other pups. Again, glimmers of hope.

Great to hear, that's real progress.

BTW, one of the common things I noticed in most of the Viszlas I've seen that were on the nervous/ fearful side with other dogs was that their owners all treated them more like they were infants and not hunting dogs. Seriously, even to the point of holding & carrying them like young child. The ones that were usually cool with other dogs were treated like hunting dogs not babies. Might be just a coincidence but several of us in my group all had the same observation.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Training