Got a couple retrieving questions

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Got a couple retrieving questions

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:38 pm

Bruce Schwartz wrote:
Question: what's the best way to consistently get the dog to face you after a whistle sit? I whistle and if not squared up then I tweet a "come in" and whistle sit a second time. This works well but I've heard that if you blow the whistle and the dog doesn't sit squarely facing you then you can throw another dummy and if the dog learns that this might happen he's more likely to sit facing you after the first whistle. Seems that this could cause some issues as well. Thoughts?

If you run a dog on a T, that takes care of it. I always run a young dog with a rope. It causes less issues. When a dog is running a T and I blow a whistle, I simply give a jerk so the dog is facing me and blow whistle again. You can also do it as a drill if you don't like T's. Sit the dog. Walk 90 or 180 degrees in semi circle. Call the dog, tug on rope, and immediately hit sit whistle when he us facing you. Dogs like doing this drill and pick it up right away.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Got a couple retrieving questions

Postby crackerd » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:46 am

Like GH said, the surefire, tried and true instant turnaround is "generated" by the jolt of your long line/check cord on the T - or if you prefer to get that little piece of sit-means-sit in place ahead of the T, it can be done when forcing to the pile. Which would be my way of thinking, as the T/double-T can prevent other problems beyond squaring up on the stop whistle.

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:
Bruce Schwartz wrote:
Question: what's the best way to consistently get the dog to face you after a whistle sit? I whistle and if not squared up then I tweet a "come in" and whistle sit a second time. This works well but I've heard that if you blow the whistle and the dog doesn't sit squarely facing you then you can throw another dummy and if the dog learns that this might happen he's more likely to sit facing you after the first whistle. Seems that this could cause some issues as well. Thoughts?

If you run a dog on a T, that takes care of it. I always run a young dog with a rope. It causes less issues. When a dog is running a T and I blow a whistle, I simply give a jerk so the dog is facing me and blow whistle again. You can also do it as a drill if you don't like T's. Sit the dog. Walk 90 or 180 degrees in semi circle. Call the dog, tug on rope, and immediately hit sit whistle when he us facing you. Dogs like doing this drill and pick it up right away.
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Training