Handling and/or hand signals questions

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Handling and/or hand signals questions

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:07 pm

booger wrote:Got it (and I'm planning to shorten up and put a leash on her), I just think there are lots of ways to get to the same end goal and while there's validity to having a program and following it to a T, not every dog needs that (as evidenced by my buddy). With my next dog, I'll have a much better plan and idea of what I need to do and why. There's a learning curve for sure for new owners.

That being said, I'm flexible and obviously willing to try different things. Which is why I got Smartworks. I do appreciate all the advice, even if people don't think I'm taking it. :lol:

Seems to me you're asking a lot of questions and not listening to any answers. Equate it to this though. If you build a house and skimp on the foundation, the floors will creak and it may eventually crumple and fall. You don't build the walls first, then the foundation. The foundation is probably the most important part of the training. Your dog is not special, it's not different, it's just a dog. But do it your way, disregard all advice and see what happens. That's how you learn.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Handling and/or hand signals questions

Postby crackerd » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:43 pm

See, there's a disconnect for you - because what our experienced friend is telling you below, in so many words, is that the "foundation" in retriever training is the program, and vice versa.

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:You don't build the walls first, then the foundation. The foundation is probably the most important part of the training.

Whereas you've have essentially disregarded it by saying

booger wrote:...I just think there are lots of ways to get to the same end goal and while there's validity to having a program and following it to a T, not every dog needs that (as evidenced by my buddy). With my next dog, I'll have a much better plan and idea of what I need to do and why. ...

So you're feeling like you need to reinvent the wheel - or if not the wheel, trying to reinvent the tire with six different kinds of tread on it with the anticipated result that, Hey, it will still hold the road. Makes the truck drive crooked but..."same end goal."

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Training