Thoughts (follow up to Next Steps)

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Thoughts (follow up to Next Steps)

Postby Mike61 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:36 pm

So ran my Griff in June NA. He did well, pointing the pen raised qual, allowed me to walk in and flush. From there I started working on more obedience (not heavy handed) and limited bird work, mostly launcher work attempting to de chase without inhibiting drive. Went to Michigan for the last couple of days to hopefully get on some wild birds. My observations…busted a grouse and a number of woodcock while having 3 solid points on woodcock and holding until I flushed the bird and shot 2 of them. The busted birds (that I could see) flushed when he seemed to be working them (trailing?) and then flushed once he got too close. Post flush chase was limited, maybe due to cover, maybe due to training. Birds flushed anywhere from 10-20 feet away from the dog. Do I need more training work on stopping at first scent or is this a learn wild birds by doing time. I did feel pretty good for not shooting a couple of easy birds….dog is 16 months and will be his first real hunting season.
Mike61
Pup
Pup

Re: Thoughts (follow up to Next Steps)

Postby Willie T » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:52 am

Mike61 wrote:So ran my Griff in June NA. He did well, pointing the pen raised qual, allowed me to walk in and flush. From there I started working on more obedience (not heavy handed) and limited bird work, mostly launcher work attempting to de chase without inhibiting drive. Went to Michigan for the last couple of days to hopefully get on some wild birds. My observations…busted a grouse and a number of woodcock while having 3 solid points on woodcock and holding until I flushed the bird and shot 2 of them. The busted birds (that I could see) flushed when he seemed to be working them (trailing?) and then flushed once he got too close. Post flush chase was limited, maybe due to cover, maybe due to training. Birds flushed anywhere from 10-20 feet away from the dog. Do I need more training work on stopping at first scent or is this a learn wild birds by doing time. I did feel pretty good for not shooting a couple of easy birds….dog is 16 months and will be his first real hunting season.

Your dog is going to make mistakes as it learns to handle wild birds. Free it up and let it hunt and learn. Keep it on as many wild birds as you can. Don’t miss the ones it does everything right on. Let the rest fly. It takes birds to make a bird dog.
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:37 am

Willie T wrote:
Mike61 wrote:So ran my Griff in June NA. He did well, pointing the pen raised qual, allowed me to walk in and flush. From there I started working on more obedience (not heavy handed) and limited bird work, mostly launcher work attempting to de chase without inhibiting drive. Went to Michigan for the last couple of days to hopefully get on some wild birds. My observations…busted a grouse and a number of woodcock while having 3 solid points on woodcock and holding until I flushed the bird and shot 2 of them. The busted birds (that I could see) flushed when he seemed to be working them (trailing?) and then flushed once he got too close. Post flush chase was limited, maybe due to cover, maybe due to training. Birds flushed anywhere from 10-20 feet away from the dog. Do I need more training work on stopping at first scent or is this a learn wild birds by doing time. I did feel pretty good for not shooting a couple of easy birds….dog is 16 months and will be his first real hunting season.

Your dog is going to make mistakes as it learns to handle wild birds. Free it up and let it hunt and learn. Keep it on as many wild birds as you can. Don’t miss the ones it does everything right on. Let the rest fly. It takes birds to make a bird dog.

Yes, this. No more "training" right now let the birds teach now and the dog learn from them. He's figuring it out right now but there will be "mistakes" but that's what teaches the dog. This first hunting season is the time to just have fun and enjoy the ups and downs of the young dog's progress. Don't be in a hurry to shoot birds but shoot what he does well on. Make him hold point but don't worry if he breaks on the flush.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2, UT 204 Prize 1
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Mike61 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:10 pm

Thanks all. Just wanted to make sure I am on the right thinking with this dog. I have planned a few more times to Michigan to give him plenty of opportunities to make mistakes (and learn).
Mike61
Pup
Pup

Return to Training