How old is too old?

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: How old is too old?

Postby nobellekennelz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:47 am

I too have been thinking about a lot of lasts at this stage in my life. I love hunting behind a well trained pointing dog regardless of the breed. For me it may be cathartic. I have been a hunter for some 53 years and a pointing dog enthusiast some 40 plus years. Having a hard time knowing that sooner than later one day I will no longer be able to do so. The dogs, the people that I have been lucky to meet along the journey were beyond rewarding. At 65 years of age, my next pup which if all goes well will be whelped next year will most likely be my last. At some point I will have some great memories to reflect back on.
nobellekennelz
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:44 am

Willie: I'm not new to the Dakotas, have made at least ten trips. Aware of bird cycles and I do pay attention. If the hunting was at least fair and could scratch out some birds every day just through effort, I'd still be there. If I lived closer there would be time for exploring and getting familiar with new areas. This last trip I drove 3245 miles and that's a lot to only be disappointed. Diesel fuel is sure cheap back there.

George: We'll talk about it. Be fun to get together again and hunt over your dog.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:03 am

Orhunter, I gathered by your posts I have read over time you are very experienced and I did not mean to imply otherwise. I am not very eloquent but my post was meant to be a pep talk. Get a puppy. It is the best therapy there is for a bird hunter with time on his hands.... I have a son in his fourth year of college that is looking at four more years. When he finally finishes, unless something changes drastically, bird dogs will occupy a great deal of my time, much the same as AG appears to be doing. Speaking of AG, has anyone heard how he and his wife are doing with regard to Covid? He has been in my thoughts....
Willie
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:20 am

Breeding? Excellent question and one new buyers should be very conscious of. In my case I'll just ask one of the two excellent breeders that I know just "to pick me a good one" and that will be fine. Bob Farris or Dany Dulac, either fellow's pups will suit me. I plan to run the pup in Montana. It shows you how far I am ahead of myself.
BTW Willie is right, in these difficult times a puppy will cheer any one up. Just think of that puppy breath in your face at least one more time.
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:37 pm

Nicely said Densa!

My wife has one of our dogs certified as a pet therapy dog and before COVID she went with it into hospital settings to spend time with patients and staff. It’s truly amazing to see how comforting it is for folks to have a pudelpointer place its head on your lap, wiggle its tail, and look up into your eyes as it presses up against you.

When my brother got a divorce thirty years ago our dad got him a dog. When a colleague lost his wife a number of years ago we convinced him to get a dog which he says saved his life. My brother quit his surgery practice a couple years ago and has been sort of blue since but I finally convinced him to get a puppy and the dog is now six months old and he and I are training it and hunting ducks and he’s got spring in his step. To us dog people it seems intuitive but it's not for everybody.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:59 am

Hi Bruce;

Excellent reply and I think that you should make "Therapy dogs" a topic on this site.

Believe it or not severe depression kills 33% of it's victims through suicide. For example smallpox only killed 10%.

Good for you, I never want to go anywhere that they won't welcome my dog.
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:26 pm

No you are not to old, get you a pup and hunt till you drop. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:59 pm

Forgot to say just finished a bear hunt with my best friend who is 81 years young. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to Training