Fire

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Fire

Postby orhunter » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:15 pm

5 days in a row, no wind to clear the air. Dead calm. Was heavy fog when we got up, couldn't see the smoke content. Now at 6:00PM, air is still thick, doesn't smell too bad but...... Just glad this isn't industrial sourced. Could be ugly.

Took my black girl friend for a stroll today. Wanted to phind a fez or two, all we found were Coyotes. Couldn't get outa there quickly enough. Scary...

Getting my hunting gear/clothing out of hibernation today. Had a heap on the floor down in the man cave, black girl friend made a nest in the middle. Gotta get out here, both of us.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:09 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Harvey, it is a real shame and I am sorry it is happening. Guessing die off due to pine beetles has created a huge fuel load of dead trees?

On the national news front, did anyone even hear about 14 million acres of crops destroyed and huge property damage happening in Iowa a few weeks back? 140MPH winds.

More than that I think is 100+ years of active fire prevention that's led to forests with way too much fuel.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:17 pm

8 days without so much as a breeze, air still thick. No rain here, don't expect any no matter the forecast. Not enough to do anything even if it happens??? Saw the sun and real clouds today for a brief moment while walking Tater Salad.

Been puttering this afternoon getting ready to hit the road with nowhere to go. Have confirmed lodging in ND on Nov. 2nd, nothing from MT. Been trying. Wanna get under way. Dog and me are going crazy.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:54 pm

Glad you got your ND lodging taken care of, any word yet on MT lodging? Who's this new black dog you got? I must have missed something along the way Harvey.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:42 am

Eric.... No word from MT, will call Friday. Yes or no, need to hear something, not complete silence.

Dog is Bone Point Kenai, "Tater", Spuds mom. She's just borrowed, been living with us since first of August. What a sweetie. More like a pest, follows me everywhere.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:14 pm

Thunderstorm started at 3:00AM, lasted an hour or so. Got rain, not a lot. Some off and on light wind this afternoon, air finally looking normal. Can't smell smoke. Dunno how the fires are doing. Should be pretty wet in the woods. Archery hunters can probably continue their season.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:13 am

Good to hear on your fire situation. I really hope it clears up for you. Air was 189 particulates here today supposed to clear up this weekend. Getting up in about 4 hours to drive to the Snake to chukar hunt. Wish I could sleep sometimes lol.

Sounds great on babysitting Kelly's dog. I really wish I had room for another dog. Next dog will be a wirehair or a shorthair. It has been an experience having a setter, but they aren't for me. I love the tripod to death, but these setters are damned soft and just not my type of dog. She'll live out her years happy here with me though.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:31 am

Agree with you on setters. They're a bit quirky based on my limited experience with them. Don't like their coats either. Like dogs born to hunt that are more mentally stable, hence the Griff. They have the kind of instability I can live with...ha ha. DD second choice.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:06 pm

Yeah quirky describes them really well. Quirky, soft and somewhat mentally instable. The coats really do suck. Soft and feathery like velcro to just about everything. Some places I won't even bother hunting her because I don't want to deal with the combing the burs out after. But in Misty's case, extremely smart. She has that going for her. As you know I'm a GSP guy, but a GWP or DD would be my next choice.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion