The little dude is coming along

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: The little dude is coming along

Postby SMAbby » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:28 am

Jago with his buddy Anka

https://youtu.be/Rur0wg-2saA
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:13 pm

Yes I agree , I don't pup much weight in a 1 day test myself, I have to be the worst tester their is , I get nervous and the dog reads me. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby SMAbby » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:03 pm

The heat isn't our friend for sure. I have been having to keep outing short and to the point. Safer for the dog and the birds.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:12 am

My wife doesn't think the ROOing is adorable. I did at first and started realizing my encouraging of that communication in the house was going to have poor results...I try to ignore it now and the PP seems to only bring it out at feeding time now! The other I learned about my PP was she sounds off when ever she sights fur. The first time I was saying "What the hell?" but learned since it is a breeding trait some of the Germans look for. I guess they use the barking to locate the dog in the woods as it chasing the prey so that they are ready for the shoot when it runs by.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Willie T » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:28 pm

Dmog wrote:My wife doesn't think the ROOing is adorable. I did at first and started realizing my encouraging of that communication in the house was going to have poor results...I try to ignore it now and the PP seems to only bring it out at feeding time now! The other I learned about my PP was she sounds off when ever she sights fur. The first time I was saying "What the hell?" but learned since it is a breeding trait some of the Germans look for. I guess they use the barking to locate the dog in the woods as it chasing the prey so that they are ready for the shoot when it runs by.

My PP chops when on live fur each time his front feet hit the ground. He bays when he hems it up, if he can not dispatch and retrieve it. No vocalizing on birds or blood.
Willie
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:53 pm

Tess was scent loud and doing a heck of a job running a rabbit in SD Saturday morning :). The DD folks would have busted their buttons! She squared off face to face with a Badger as I was yelling NO!!! and scrambling for my transmitter. Badger is lucky Spud was not on the ground.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Highlander » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:04 pm

The other I learned about my PP was she sounds off when ever she sights fur. The first time I was saying "What the hell?" but learned since it is a breeding trait some of the Germans look for. I guess they use the barking to locate the dog in the woods as it chasing the prey so that they are ready for the shoot when it runs by.

Yeah it's an inherited trait.
In many German clubs scent loud or sight loud are desired traits (DK or DD) or even a must in case of the longhairs.
In a pure upland hunting it may not be useful, but when it's a recovery hunt and the game is too big to be picked up and retrieved the dog must sit and bark until the master finds him.
In cases like this some smart dogs even pick up a wood rod, attached to the collar, and then they return back to the hunter and guide him to the dead game. I have no clue how to teach that to a dog. Must be really hard.

Ones I met a guy in Upstate NY who hunts a grouse with his GWP in the thick covers of NY and NH. He said that when a dead bird happens to drop somewhere on a tree the dog goes out, finds the bird, sits by the tree and starts barking until he gets there and gets the bird. He said the dog started doing it by himself without him teaching it.
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Birddogz » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:05 pm

Great looking pup! They are so fun at that age. Just oozing possibilities!
Birddogz
Pup
Pup

Previous

Return to General Discussion