Dogs and Heat Tolerance

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dogs and Heat Tolerance

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue May 26, 2020 10:48 pm

Something SMAbby said in her post got me thinking. Dogs with narrow chests having a low heat tolerance. I am of the belief from what I've seen that dogs of darker color CAN have low heat tolerance, but the narrow chest thing got me thinking. Rowdy is a pretty chesty dog for a shorthair and is a mix of 50% live and 50% white so hard to say on my color thinking but he handles the heat pretty well overall. Tygh my DK was a dark roan and chestier than Rowdy and didn't handle the heat well, so I attributed it to color. Misty, my setter is mostly white with some black ticking and has a typical female setter chest, narrow and small. She is not very heat tolerant at all. So why does narrow chest have something to do with heat tolerance or lack thereof? Is it their lung size and amount of O2 they can pull into the lungs to cool them down?
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Dogs and Heat Tolerance

Postby JONOV » Wed May 27, 2020 9:24 am

RowdyGSP wrote:Something SMAbby said in her post got me thinking. Dogs with narrow chests having a low heat tolerance. I am of the belief from what I've seen that dogs of darker color CAN have low heat tolerance, but the narrow chest thing got me thinking. Rowdy is a pretty chesty dog for a shorthair and is a mix of 50% live and 50% white so hard to say on my color thinking but he handles the heat pretty well overall. Tygh my DK was a dark roan and chestier than Rowdy and didn't handle the heat well, so I attributed it to color. Misty, my setter is mostly white with some black ticking and has a typical female setter chest, narrow and small. She is not very heat tolerant at all. So why does narrow chest have something to do with heat tolerance or lack thereof? Is it their lung size and amount of O2 they can pull into the lungs to cool them down?

Rowdy, this is tailgate biology at best, but if I had to guess it has to do with bigger chests being able to better cool because dogs don't sweat to cool, but rather expell heat by panting. Bigger lungs = more hot air you can blast out.

Personally I think there's some genetics to it, or something. I have a very furry black roan GWP and he handles the heat much better than many other dogs I've seen; he's a big dog but people are surprised when I tell them he weighs 75 lbs, they think he'd be a lot heavier. My friend did comment to me "he looks skinny" but I told her he's always been skinny.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion