Bank diving dog

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Bank diving dog

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Tue May 12, 2020 9:34 am

GREAT POST CRACKERED!!
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:29 pm

Bruce,
My Apologies if that was a rhetorical Question. Gonehuntins response certainly didn't give the impression that he thought it was rhetorical? He was just more politically correct. And its not a rhetorical question if you heard "about trials in Europe where they lay a track across the water". It is a "Statement".

Crackered, You are right about my Rhetorical question, I'm well aware you have never had an original thought about Training. And actually there have been new innovations since the whistle stop was invented, see Bill Hillman just for one. But what the heck do I know???

Unlike our Good Mr. Bruce who actually has had a new idea that could actually change how retrievers(retrieving dogs) are trained, if he had the resources to develop it and promote.

Imagine if years ago when The retriever world started using Sheep herding whistles and teaching hand signals if Bruce was there with his method of directing a dog???? But Heck, you guys don't seem to have much imagination!!! Yup, great post Crackered!!!!
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed May 13, 2020 3:31 pm

Kiger - thanks for your really nice comments regarding steering dogs using whistles! Having a "prepared" mind that enables one to recognize value in new stuff is a good trait. Interesting you mentioned Bill Hillman - he contacted me about the video a ways back and asked if he could send it out in his blog - so I'm guessing just being an old fart doesn't automatically write a person off.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ottenbad » Mon May 18, 2020 12:46 pm

cool looking dog
ottenbad
Pup
Pup

Postby Kiger2 » Mon May 25, 2020 1:31 pm

Bruce,
You are welcome. I wonder what would have happened if you could have had this developed around the same time as the Ret hunt test folks started their thing? Seems like they were against Trials to a certain extent, maybe that would have opened their minds a bit?

I ve even been thinking of some additional drills that could be used to train this so it would fit in nicely with regular handling drills though not a lot different than what you are doing.

If I could find the right pup I might seer how much I could do with it. Right pup would be Lab or golden, good breeding and cheap!

Keep up the good work!
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Mon May 25, 2020 6:50 pm

Thanks Ottenbad!

Kiger,

Well, I'm pretty sure it is the real deal but probably works best on the dog that's already got some chops since there some new learning involved. That said, dogs pick it up really quickly and, if you wanted, say, a ten degree turn every time you chirp, then you gotta set things up for a ten degree turn. At present I'm involved with dogs that don't have the mental focus that retrievers have and am really not willing to change at this point. Goldens or labs would be perfect. I merely wanted to toss it out there as something that dogs love doing and hopefully show instances where it's useful. Watching a dog in a trial or test do a couple of ten degree corrections en route to lining the blind should turn some heads - most tests and trials are pretty boring except for the handlers. This would change that.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Tue May 26, 2020 7:13 pm

Bruce,
Not sure if this would make the trial more exciting or not???
Might just see it as another skill?????
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion