Meet Tess

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Meet Tess

Postby Highlander » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:21 am

AverageGuy

Thanks for answer.

Tow question about you pup's training,

1. How far do you usually through that thing from you?
2. When she brings it back, do you make her sit down and then give it to you? or that would be too much for now?
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:24 am

Highlander wrote:AverageGuy

Thanks for answer.

Tow question about you pup's training,

1. How far do you usually through that thing from you?
2. When she brings it back, do you make her sit down and then give it to you? or that would be too much for now?

The tunnel is 40 feet and I throw to the end of it. No I am not asking her to sit and hold at this point. I have not found it difficult to teach that later and will. I think it is far more important at this stage to build a strong desire and behavior to pickup, carry and return to me, and that it is enjoyable to do so.

We have moved to working our obedience outside and it is presenting the normal challenges/distractions. Until that is behind us, it would be a big mistake to attempt to incorporate that into this retrieving drill.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:55 pm

I do it like AG and don’t take the training object right away. Leave it in dog’s mouth till done with a few “good girl’s” and some body rubbing. I like the physical reward first so when the food reward stops, the dog still gets something.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:32 pm

Snowed a foot yesterday.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:14 am

This pup might turn out ok.

She pointed hard at first scent and never moved. Allowed me to walk in front and flush the bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTxtwvx7K_o

Getting some wheels on her. First time she has ever been here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzPaKylUJI4

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:42 am

Great stuff.....
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Porter » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:00 pm

Nice!

Did you use a remote launcher for the pigeon?
Was that her first bird contact?
--Porter's person
Porter
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:54 pm

Yes I was using a remote launcher. 3rd bird.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:35 am

AG, it looks like you are using a check cord in the picture. Our chapter FB group recently had a discussion on appropriate use of a CC in puppies. Strong opinions on both sides (imagine that!).

I'm wondering what your use of the CC looks like for Tess right now? Do you lead her into birds while holding on to it? Do you pick it up only after establishing point? Is it only there to reel her in as she flies by you?

She is looking great, and what fun you must be having. That range is sure nice to see so young.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:39 am

Hey good to hear from you. I wondered how you were getting along in your job with the whole Virus mania raging on ...

All my puppies are dragging check cords when they are outside. Allows me to save their life occasionally, get horrible crap away from they before they get it swallowed (sometimes not), work on the Come command, ... And yes it is there to get my foot on it eventually when I need to. I have her wearing the ecollar for GPS only at this point and have done no ecollar conditioning yet so she is a bit of a wild child at times as seen in the videos.

While working those pigeons in a launcher she is just dragging the check cord and I am not hanging on it. I let my pups work the birds while I remain silent, no "Whoa", no restraining them with a check cord. As long as they point hard on first scent and don't move, I move to the front and simulate a flush with the launcher (which is what I did here, I was off camera up by the launcher kicking around some before I launched the bird, the wife was filming from the angle seen). I was ready to launch the bird had she moved but she never did, so I finally launched it and fired my blank pistol while she chased.

Soon I will be shooting the bird for her and that will really solidify for her that pointing is the only path which yields a bird in the mouth. If the pup moves towards the bird instead of pointing and holding point I launch the bird, it flies and the puppy chases ...

I want my pups to learn on their own (no interference from me) that pointing hard on first scent gets the bird, advancing towards the scent scares it away and I want to preserve all their intensity and style on birds. Has worked well so far.

This pup is bird crazy and has a lot of point.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Highlander » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:38 pm

Thanks for your replay AverageGuy

While working those pigeons in a launcher she is just dragging the check cord and I am not hanging on it. I let my pups work the birds while I remain silent, no "Whoa", no restraining them with a check cord. As long as they point hard on first scent and don't move, I move to the front and simulate a flush with the launcher (which is what I did here, I was off camera up by the launcher kicking around some before I launched the bird, the wife was filming from the angle seen). I was ready to launch the bird had she moved but she never did, so I finally launched it and fired my blank pistol while she chased.

By doing so are you trying to get her to learn that you are the one and only one who flushes a bird?
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:32 pm

Highlander,

I would say I am teaching the fundamental that moving towards the scent scares the bird away, pointing does not.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:44 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Hey good to hear from you. I wondered how you were getting along in your job with the whole Virus mania raging on ...

All my puppies are dragging check cords when they are outside. Allows me to save their life occasionally, get horrible crap away from they before they get it swallowed (sometimes not), work on the Come command, ... And yes it is there to get my foot on it eventually when I need to. I have her wearing the ecollar for GPS only at this point and have done no ecollar conditioning yet so she is a bit of a wild child at times as seen in the videos.

Soon I will be shooting the bird for her and that will really solidify for her that pointing is the only path which yields a bird in the mouth. If the pup moves towards the bird instead of pointing and holding point I launch the bird, it flies and the puppy chases ...

I want my pups to learn on their own (no interference from me) that pointing hard on first scent gets the bird, advancing towards the scent scares it away and I want to preserve all their intensity and style on birds. Has worked well so far.

This pup is bird crazy and has a lot of point.

It sounds like you and I use the CC the same way. While the early on bird bill is possibly higher, like you, I think it preserves the enthusiasm while working birds.

Once I think chasing the bird is counter-productive, if pup breaks point I will use the CC to pull pup away from the flying bird along with a verbal "AH". For Lena, this was only a couple times AFTER we started shooting birds for her. A falling bird is a lot of pressure on a young dog!

Regarding the job front, this is a surreal time to work in the city. Things have progressed slowly here, which is good, but my dedicated COVID hospital is now full. Secondary hospitals are filling up. That being said, we are still above water which I'm thankful for.

I had to pull some signs out west, put the dog down for a brief 30 minute romp...put up lots of pheasants so that's a good sign I hope.

Also, there were some ducks around...https://youtu.be/a4xr5av_EKA
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:03 pm

Nice Video! I ran to SD last week to hunt a Merriams gobbler. Waterfowl everywhere. Stay Healthy, Thanks for what you do.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:21 pm

AG, Tess is looking great , good job. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion