Meet Tess

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Meet Tess

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:07 am

Ryanr, good on you for training away. Sounds like things are progressing well.

We did this work yesterday morning. Using a two bird setup on the ground, intentionally missed the first bird, hit the second one on my first shot and cleaned it up on the second. We are gaining on it I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG4f6z88cAI
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:45 am

Kent: How close are the two of you to the UT, Invite qualifier?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:57 am

Great work Kent. Really nice.

Long day yesterday helping others but we got some fun in the afternoon. Did a duck search with a resend. She was a little sticky on the resend but then went out and got her second duck. For the first duck search of the year I was happy. And she hasn't quite been feeling herself the last several days, not eating normal and a little whiny like even when I just hop in the shower and that's not like her. The old guy got out at the very end and found a duck too.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2, UT 204 Prize 1
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:45 pm

orhunter wrote:Kent: How close are the two of you to the UT, Invite qualifier?

The term "Stretch Objective" definitely applies. We need to improve in several areas to have a shot at passing.

Thank You Ryanr. Appreciate it.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:10 am

Drug my Creek boat into this pond yesterday. Thick mats of flooded vegetation and heavy cover all around the edges, flooded timber, several inlets, some cattails on the upper end. Tess searched it all before we were done. This is her 3rd send.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnox79qrAbM
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:51 am

It's nice you have good water to work in. I just found out the lake where I take dogs now has the bad algae in it, some gal lost her Labrador yesterday from it. Was going to go up there this morning.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:30 am

Yea that algae is scary stuff. Happens here in droughts more than normal conditions.

I feel fortunate to have that pond to train on and fortunate I can still drag my little boat and ducks to it. All uphill on the way out. I stopped and caught my breath a couple of times. Have a cattail marsh not too far away that we will do some training on soon as well.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:36 pm

Very nice. Good looking water, quite similar to ours with the cover and timber. Except we also have a big wide open area to the left of our send point. Ducks that get pushed out in that area during a chase usually means jump in the kayak and go shoot it for the dog.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:29 pm

The discussion in JABH thread on dogs tracking ducks on water was interesting.

This was Tess' last duck search 4 days ago. She had been searching for 15 minutes and produced a live duck several times. The chases were short and produced excellent searches by Tess to relocate the diving swimming duck each time. The cover on that pond is excellent/challenging and the duck was diving and eluding her for periods of time. She persisted and produced it several times. I cannot shoot ducks on that water.

Tess eventually came to the bank I was standing on and began searching the shoreline cover there. I was anxious for her to succeed and was ready to launch my Creek Boat and give her a hand if needed. I shut off the first video and turned to start dragging the kayak into the water. When I turned back towards the water I saw Tess had already gone back into the water and I started this video.

As she heads towards the cove on the far side where she initially produced this duck, you can see her hit the scent trail of the duck on the water. That was exact trail the submarining duck had taken when it eluded her the first time. She then takes the scent to the weed line in the water paralleling the opposite bank. Can see her swimming and scenting trying to figure it out and eventually she does.

Was filming with my phone so poor quality but you can see lots of use of nose if you pay attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDjwqNAWxc
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:00 am

Tess and I ran her UT Saturday. After training all spring and summer, she came into full blown heat 9 months after her first cycle and ran last in the order all day. Grateful that NAVHDA allows that as we would have not had the chance to run at all in other venues.

She had a great day.

We ran Duck Search last event of the day and she did a great search eventually finding and catching her duck in flooded vegetation along the far bank and retrieved it 200 yards back. One of two dogs in the test to find her duck and the only one to catch it. About 3 feet from the bank she loosen her grip and the duck escaped, she caught it again in short order and then took a couple of COME commands from me to get her out of the water and delivering the duck to my hand. Judges scored her down to a 3 in Duck Search because of it. I should have given her a hard HEEL! command when she got close to the bank.

So a Prize 2 on a 1.5 year old puppy running in full blown heat. Three other dogs entered the test and withdrew, the remaining 3 others that ran were 5 year old dogs.

Proud of my Puppy and so ready to go hunting.

Wife took some video from the gallery.

Field Work. She did excellent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZoIav4Am98&t=3s

End of her Duck Search filmed with a telephoto lens. Be sure to back up the video to the start. The President of the Chapter asked my Wife if she had the duck. Her response is "I can’t tell but She would not be coming back if she didn't". Which is true.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTHRb296lSM&t=67s
Last edited by AverageGuy on Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby KJ » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:11 am

Congrats Kent!

We ran Duck Search last event of the day and she did a great search eventually finding and catching her duck in flooded vegetation along the far bank and retrieved it 200 yards back. One of two dogs in the test to find her duck and the only one to catch it. About 3 feet from the bank she loosen her grip and the duck escaped, she caught it again in short order and then took a couple of COME commands from me to get her out of the water and delivering the duck to my hand. Judges scored her down to a 3 in Duck Search because of it. I should have given her a hard HEEL! command when she got close to the bank.

Did you confirm with the judges this is why the lowered her duck search score? I would expect that situation to be reflected in obedience; not duck search. Although have a hard time seeing how she gets a 3 in duck search if she ended up 200 yds away.
KJ
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jlw034 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:49 am

KJ wrote:Congrats Kent!

Did you confirm with the judges this is why the lowered her duck search score? I would expect that situation to be reflected in obedience; not duck search. Although have a hard time seeing how she gets a 3 in duck search if she ended up 200 yds away.

Here's my hot take on that, which admittedly isn't worth much. Scoring for duck search (DS) is specifically broken down into Nose/Desire/Stam/Coop/Obedience. Retrieval is primarily an assessment of obedience, per the score sheet. Given that she dropped the duck and took two commands to finish the retrieve, that certainly dropped her DS obedience score. Maybe a 2?

I'm with you, it seems harsh to give the overall DS a 3. That means the dog did 50-75% of the work correctly. When retrieve is scored in so many other areas, it seems like, given the info at hand, a 4 would have been more appropriate. This is of course assuming retrieves in all other areas were 100%.

That being said, great job AG and Tess. It's a long summer of training, and the real payoff is right around the corner. She seems like a real firecracker, a dog to get lots of pleasure from.
Last edited by jlw034 on Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:51 am

Yes I did confirm that was why. Not to be confused with I agreed with it.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:20 pm

On to the next thing. Ran this earlier today.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WfEkm8yKtNM
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:19 pm

KJ wrote:Congrats Kent!

First, great job AG and Tess!

I agree it sounds like a great duck search overall that just came apart a little on the technical stuff. Now I don't have the experience and know how you have but I'm guessing the 3 score was a result of the combination of losing the live duck AND then having to give not one but several "Come" commands. I kind of think that had it just been one or the other the 4 score may have been preserved.

After years of helping others and watching some great handlers and trainers train and run dogs I'm about to step up and run my first UT. One of the things I've observed is that deciding when a (second) command is needed. I was always told that, in general, "if you think you need a command then give it and make sure you give it so that it counts."
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion