Versatile dog, Versatile rig

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Versatile dog, Versatile rig

Postby ForTheBirds84 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:46 am

Coming off of a season of training and hunting out of my VW Jetta. I'm looking to get back into the truck world. I have owned a few different brands in the past each have positives and negatives. But if you were to have an ideal "versatile hunting rig" what would that look like for you? Personally I am looking at Toyota Tacomas and Honda Ridglines.
ForTheBirds84
Started
Started

Re: Versatile dog, Versatile rig

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:23 am

When waterfowl is in the mix the rigs you mentioned would not have near enough room for dogs, decoys, blinds etc. I use full size half ton Silverados with camper shells over the bed. Contractor doors with slider windows in the side so I can get air moving through in the heat or open them up when not moving. I put boat racks up top and can strap a kayak on there with more gear stowed inside it. Also use a receiver hitch carrier on the back to carry coolers or decoys. When we go on a mixed waterfowl/upland bird excursion we need every possible space. Still could use a trailer.

One or two dogs, upland only, you would be fine with the Tacoma. I had one years ago and it served me well. We still have an 02 Tundra and it keeps rolling down the road.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:49 am

‘69 bronco. Uncut fenders and a receiver hitch.
Willie
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:07 am

I don't think many folks consider the Honda a truck. I know they get rated pretty high but I question what the ratings are based on. Just being a nice vehicle or those qualities that make them an actual truck.

Like AG said, depends on how much gear you drag around with you. I have a GMC 2500HD Duramax long bed because I drag a 22' boat around. I like the extra weight (6700 lbs) of the vehicle when driving in snow and ice conditions. My "other" vehicle is a 2010 Nissan, Pathfinder. That year they had the truck running gear, real 4wd and nothing like the newer ones. It has been flawless and hauls a lot of gear and dogs when the back seat is down. The back seat is always down. If I were to get something new and if I didn't have the boat, it'd be the GMC Canyon with Duramax. Can't argue with 30 mpg. There are two things I don't like about them but they may not concern someone else. First is their short bed. Second, they are just another little truck on the inside. I'm 6'3" and when I sit in one, they feel tiny. I wouldn't have a problem with getting a new Tundra but their mileage is pretty crappy.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForTheBirds84 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:24 am

orhunter wrote:I don't think many folks consider the Honda a truck. I know they get rated pretty high but I question what the ratings are based on. Just being a nice vehicle or those qualities that make them an actual truck.

Like AG said, depends on how much gear you drag around with you. I have a GMC 2500HD Duramax long bed because I drag a 22' boat around. I like the extra weight (6700 lbs) of the vehicle when driving in snow and ice conditions. My "other" vehicle is a 2010 Nissan, Pathfinder. That year they had the truck running gear, real 4wd and nothing like the newer ones. It has been flawless and hauls a lot of gear and dogs when the back seat is down. The back seat is always down. If I were to get something new and if I didn't have the boat, it'd be the GMC Canyon with Duramax. Can't argue with 30 mpg. There are two things I don't like about them but they may not concern someone else. First is their short bed. Second, they are just another little truck on the inside. I'm 6'3" and when I sit in one, they feel tiny. I wouldn't have a problem with getting a new Tundra but their mileage is pretty crappy.

I wish I still had my 03 Tundra. The new ones are too big, the Tacoma feels a touch small. I has a 2012 Tacoma for a while...A drunk driver in a Chevy Silvarado 2500 smashed into it parked on the side of the road(nobody was in it) and I had to say goodbye.

The Honda Ridgeline had never been on my radar but driving by the dealership the other day I just thought what the hell I'm gonna take a peek. I was really impressed.
ForTheBirds84
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:41 am

If you're in a wreck, best to driving the 2500. A gal ran a stop sign going at least 45 mph and T-boned me with her little whatever. Her car was totaled, I drove away with a little sheet metal damage. Truck is 15 years old, looks great and worth about what I paid for it.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForTheBirds84 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:56 am

orhunter wrote:If you're in a wreck, best to driving the 2500. A gal ran a stop sign going at least 45 mph and T-boned me with her little whatever. Her car was totaled, I drove away with a little sheet metal damage. Truck is 15 years old, looks great and worth about what I paid for it.

Yeah. The guy that hit my Taco was probably doing about 45mph or more...He hit the back drivers corner which bounced the truck up and into the road perpendicular. He then either hit it again or continued pushing it a good 10 yards down the road. This all happened right outside my bedroom window at about 3AM. He even got out a rang the door bell to let me know he hit my truck. By that time I was well aware of what happened lol
ForTheBirds84
Started
Started

Postby Dmog » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:08 pm

The Ridgeline would just piss me off...not long enough, not wide enough, not truck enough, not suv enough, cant pull enough, not versatile enough. Dogs would like riding in the back seat though! Hell, I had a Ford Raptor crew that the shorter bed would piss me off. I was always having to put the tailgate extender down to haul my lay out blind and decoys in. Dogs loved the back seat though! It would pull the $#*! out of stuff but not safely, the soft suspension rolled too much. Sold it. Making due with a Ford Expedition right now.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Spindog » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:06 pm

I bought an Avalanche last year. Very versatile truck. Goes down the highway and 2 tracks well.
Dan J.
Guinness Da Grazia Male Spinone RIP Buddy
Marcello Da Grazia Male Spinone Brown & White RIP Chow
Hidalgo's Leonardo da Vinci Male Bracco Italiano Orange & White
.ǝɯıʇ ɐ ʇɐ pɹıq ǝuo uʍop ǝpısdn p1ɹoʍ bop pɹıq ǝɥʇ buıuɹnʇ .ǝuouıds uɐı1ɐʇı
Spindog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:50 am

I went to a Toyota 4Runner last year. I'm down to one dog now and at my age, I thought I didn't need a truck. What I MISS about a truck, is all of the room you have. The 4Runner is great and I can keep my dog comfortable in it. I'm still trying to figure out the space thing though. Nice to have the dog inside where it can be easily heated or air conditioned. Smell could be an issue though. I was looking at one of the Eco Boost Ford Crew Cab's and I am having second thoughts about not going with one of those.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:55 pm

I'm with GH on the 4Runner. Perfect vehicle. Mine is 18 years old and if it ever craps out I'm getting a used low milage version of same vintage.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion