GSP vs. GWP

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

GSP vs. GWP

Postby Tenderfoot » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:52 am

Is there any difference between a GSP and GWP in terms of performance, range, endurance etc. I understand there’s allot of variables such as breeding, long hair/short hair and the individuality of each dog but generally speaking if you were to use each for chukar, is there much difference in performance?
Tenderfoot
Started
Started

Re: GSP vs. GWP

Postby Tenderfoot » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:12 am

Sorry maybe I should clarify. Not which ones better, but are the physical characteristics of each similar. From my uneducated understanding they are similar dogs in that one just has short hair while other longer? I have only hunted behind GSP’s and I’m super interested in a wirehair but have no experience with them.
Tenderfoot
Started
Started

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:04 am

One's ugly one's not. :D

In all seriousness, I've owned 2 shorthairs and a wirehair. In terms of your question of "physical differences aside from the coat." I'd say no. In terms of your criteria of "performance, range, endurance," differences no, other than the differences you will have between individual breeders. For instance, American Field/AKC trial dogs, NAVHDA or DK/DD. Physically, not much difference other than the coat. Lots of seasoned bird dog guys will mistake a slick-coat wirehair for a shorthair.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Tenderfoot » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:22 am

Great thanks. I’m looking forward to checking out a wirehair
Tenderfoot
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:06 am

Beauty in in the eye of the beard holder. I like the by-line, a dog without a beard and mustache is half a dog. I'm a little biased, along with everyone else.

If you stick with the big five, GSP, DD/GWP, PP, WPG, Clumber Spaniel, you're in good company.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:59 am

As noted by RowdyGSP, the spectrum of GSPs and GWPs is broad. 50lb FT strain dogs in both breeds which run big and fast to DK/DDs which are heavy built dogs at 100lbs in some instances. NAVHDA dogs generally fall in between, which is where I have gotten my GWPs. At each point along that spectrum comparing like kind GSPs to GWPs will not be as different as the ends of the spectrum within each breed. Hope that makes sense.

I see Sharpshooter GSPs which are pretty similar in their work to the NAVHDA line GWPs I have had. I like a beard and think the GWPs bring a more clownish personality which I enjoy. Some GSPs have white and thin coats and handle heat better because of it. Most all GWPs will not handle heat as well as some other thin coated breeds but most of them handle any cold you throw at them.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Tenderfoot » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:23 am

AverageGuy wrote:As noted by RowdyGSP, the spectrum of GSPs and GWPs is broad. 50lb FT strain dogs in both breeds which run big and fast to DK/DDs which are heavy built dogs at 100lbs in some instances. NAVHDA dogs generally fall in between, which is where I have gotten my GWPs. At each point along that spectrum comparing like kind GSPs to GWPs will not be as different as the ends of the spectrum within each breed. Hope that makes sense.

I see Sharpshooter GSPs which are pretty similar in their work to the NAVHDA line GWPs I have had. I like a beard and think the GWPs bring a more clownish personality which I enjoy. Some GSPs have white and thin coats and handle heat better because of it. Most all GWPs will not handle heat as well as some other thin coated breeds but most of them handle any cold you throw at them.

Thanks for the reply, makes sense and what I thought but didn’t know for sure. The beards look cool to me and always wanted to hunt behind one to check them out but those I hunt with, myself included, have always hunted either English pointers, GSP, Brittany’s or labs.
Tenderfoot
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:45 am

Ask alot of questions and if possible go watch the dogs. There is a spectrum of how much search these dogs have, some big, some medium, some close. The best ones have the brains to use all 3 depending on the cover and birds they are hunting. Starting with the genetics to perform in the manner you prefer makes things easy.

Not too long ago a Guy came over hoping to use my dog at Stud. We visited about his bitch and he said she ran big and he had to keep her in at times. I asked how far did she run and he said at times she got out as far as that as he pointed to a landmark about 75 yards away...
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Tenderfoot » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:21 am

AG, I wish I could have hunted with the dam..I’d like to do that with every potential dog. I agree everybody has a different view on range like you said. My current dog ranges On average 2-400 yds, often 5-600 which seems to work great for me. I more less just let her do her thing, after all she’s got the nose I just carry the gun.
Tenderfoot
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:32 am

Tenderfoot:

You have a keen grasp of what hunting is. Most folks think of themselves as hunters but the truth is as you say, "I just carry the gun." ...and the water, food, shells, gear, dead birds. We are the dog's support person, nothing more.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForestDump » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:53 pm

There are more GSP's being bred for power, range and endurance than there are GWPs. A big running dog that can go for hours is more of a rarity with wirehaireds. There are some people breeding for it but most don't. GWP are also usually built heavier and are a bit longer than they are tall. Don't have as much as a flowing gait as some of the shorthairs do.

Both cool dogs.
ForestDump
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Tenderfoot » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:26 am

orhunter wrote:Tenderfoot:

You have a keen grasp of what hunting is. Most folks think of themselves as hunters but the truth is as you say, "I just carry the gun." ...and the water, food, shells, gear, dead birds. We are the dog's support person, nothing more.

I try not to over handle her and just watch her go hunt. She definitely plays the wind and I can tell when she’s onto something because she lines out and my gps typically reads 150, 200, 250, 275, 325 then POINT! I found when I handle her and pull her back I have way less encounters. Just my experience and full disclosure I know, I don’t know what I don’t know
Tenderfoot
Started
Started

Postby Tenderfoot » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:38 am

ForestDump wrote:There are more GSP's being bred for power, range and endurance than there are GWPs. A big running dog that can go for hours is more of a rarity with wirehaireds. There are some people breeding for it but most don't. GWP are also usually built heavier and are a bit longer than they are tall. Don't have as much as a flowing gait as some of the shorthairs do.

Both cool dogs.

I’m totally enjoying the range and endurance my GSP has and considering I only have just the one, the ability to hunt all day is also a huge bonus.
Tenderfoot
Started
Started

Postby Urban_Redneck » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:10 am

Dog are supremely adaptable, but, the closer you can stay to what is hardwired into the pup, the happier you will be. Therefore, between the two breeds, the best course is to find breeders that hunt the way you like to hunt and go from there.

My $0.02
Urban_Redneck
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:27 pm

Tenderfoot,

I saw a new GWP litter announcement this morning on "The Hunting GWP" FB group. The kennel has its own FB page Whipstall GWPs and Gun Dogs. Excellent genetics on both sides of the litter including some of what runs through my Spud dog. I encourage you to give it a look if you are in the market.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion