range for chukar dog

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: range for chukar dog

Postby orhunter » Wed May 06, 2020 12:23 pm

Yes, cool video. Best I've ever seen. Tough to film Chukar hunting.

He said dog was year and a half, that puts birth date in April if video was done in October which it appears to be. Dunno Idaho's season opener or if that was the opener? An April pup should be into it's second season with a ton of experience under its belt. What it should have and what it got may be two different things. A dog in its second season should be showing considerably more drive and range. That dog barely did anything to produce birds. I don't think it was the dog's fault.

One observation I made was the dog's appearance. It is quite evident it has a solid pedigree behind it. Actually, both dogs did. We don't often (if ever) see Griffs that look like that coming from so so breeders with ordinary paperwork. Considering what the pedigree probably is, I'd expect a whole lot more. Like I said, I don't think it was the dog's fault. I'd take a dog like that any day.

Disclaimer: I only watched around half the video.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed May 06, 2020 5:22 pm

They did well in capturing what Hell's Canyon chukar hunting is all about and I liked it for that. Not easy to put it all together that well. Agree that the dog was sort of slow twitch, and his feet seemed pretty sore at the end of the video. I doubt he would be hunting the next day. An older, experienced dog should have fared better, but you can imagine that a big running dog might find birds in places where you really wouldn't want to follow.

Thanks for posting it - really fun to watch.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed May 06, 2020 5:57 pm

"Find birds where you might not want to follow." How true.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Thu May 07, 2020 3:46 pm

Exactly what I was thinking would happen. My 7 yr old Griff would have been down an up once and noticed that I was staying on the ridge and he would adjust. The 2 yr old PP would have been on point two ridges over...
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jlw034 » Thu May 07, 2020 5:01 pm

I wont comment on how a stranger's dog looks. But that video was a lot of fun to watch, and for a flatlander it really put into perspective the terrain of that locale.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu May 07, 2020 6:52 pm

I was hunting with a fellow from Idaho that I sold a Griff too across the river from where the video was shot. I said, looks like someone else is hunting the other side of the canyon. There was a dark dot moving around that resembled a dog. He said, that's Gus. I asked, How'd he get over there, he was right here a minute ago. Gus was seven months old. Glad he didn't point something.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu May 07, 2020 8:22 pm

My 18 week old pup got out to 252 yards yesterday. Had I not been hustling to catch up to her it was actually farther.

I would be very disappointed if I ever had a dog like that regardless of the terrain. Looked like they should have been filming the other 2 man team as based on the pile of birds on that cooler they shot a whole bunch more birds.

The terrain looked brutal. With a reliable pointing dog I would be using a trekking pole with my shotgun slung on my shoulder until the dog went on point. Rather miss out on a shooting opportunity than take a lifestyle altering tumble down one of those slopes.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Highlander » Fri May 08, 2020 9:18 am

The quality of the video is amazing, the cinematography is at its best.
I have been to that region, one of the most beautiful place I have ever seen. That one and Palouse rolling hills in Washington.
One time I was driving and I had to stop the car, get out and look into the magnificent vastness and sunset... and it was dead still and silent.

AverageGuy
The terrain looked brutal. With a reliable pointing dog I would be using a trekking pole with my shotgun slung on my shoulder until the dog went on point.

This is a very good point. Trekking poles or walking stuff are widely used for bird hinting in many places where terrain is just as brutal. I have seen hunters in Scotland using a long walking stuff when hunting red grouse in the Scottish highlands. Same in Italy or France, when they hunt the alpine grouse in the Alps they all use a long walking stuff too or tracking poles. One guy told me it's also good against strong winds.
In Scotland they also use those poles to drive and flush a stubborn bird out of bush.
I never paid attention up until recently, but I guess in places where chukars live it may be useful.

I like this guys and how their walking stuff looks, but I never once bought anything from them yet.
https://www.brazos-walking-sticks.com/
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Fri May 08, 2020 9:30 am

The worst part of Chukar hunting is going down hill through grass where you can't see the rocks. Put your foot on one it may shoot out from under your boot and down you go. Has happened to me three or four times, once really hard.

Later in the season after some rain, the birds are up on top where it's much easier to hunt. Getting to the top is still a long steep climb but once you're there the really hard work is over.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat May 09, 2020 6:54 am

Highlander,

Yes, I carried, (and used at times), a telescoping graphite trekking pole. It fits in my vest when I am not using it and I also rigged a snap swivel so I can hang it from a ring on the side of my vest, but found I preferred having in the game pouch. And I have a sling on my shotgun. Seems like no brainers to have both on hand. Good pointing dogs provide plenty of forewarning when they are getting into birds most of the time.

People half my age are falling down the mountain in the video in the alternative. Which can still happen to me, but I do what I can to avoid it.

Harvey,

I found/shot plenty of birds over excellent dog work on the tops. I think a lot of people like to stand over the fiercest looking canyon they can find and take photos. I took some too and easily appreciate the view, but stayed on the rims most of the time.

Truthfully, I have had equally or more taxing days churning my legs through snowed in cattail marshes hunting pheasants.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sat May 09, 2020 8:18 am

I'm too old to hunt that country anymore. For you guys that haven't and want to, know a couple of things. When you leave the truck, you're gone for the day. Your vest will weigh in at 35-40 pounds with all the water and shells, then lighten through the day. Don't run your dog out of water. Quit in plenty of time.

If I were still hunting that country, I'd have a walking stick which I always use in grouse country and and rescue beacon. I always hunt alone.

I'm not going to comment on the dog work or training but I'm glad he's not mine.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat May 09, 2020 9:28 am

Kent: Yea, doesn't need to be steep and rocky to be tough going. When the CRP is heavy in the Dakotas, it's just as tough.

I noticed in the video there were some brushy draws they walked past. Those can be choked with quail.

I dunno if the vest gets lighter throughout the day. Eight birds weighs quite a bit. Six in Idaho and I think Washington.

I don't know how much rough country I'll be able to tackle this year. Leg injury and subsequent surgery still isn't healed. Walking on smooth surfaces I look normal and things feel sort of okay. Going down stairs is the worst. Don't know how much Chukar hunting I'll be able to do this year and still don't have that new pup.

Gonehuntin' I'll be 74 on June 3rd. Sure you're too old?
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sat May 09, 2020 10:53 am

orhunter wrote:Kent: Yea, doesn't need to be steep and rocky to be tough going. When the CRP is heavy in the Dakotas, it's just as tough.

I noticed in the video there were some brushy draws they walked past. Those can be choked with quail.

I dunno if the vest gets lighter throughout the day. Eight birds weighs quite a bit. Six in Idaho and I think Washington.

I don't know how much rough country I'll be able to tackle this year. Leg injury and subsequent surgery still isn't healed. Walking on smooth surfaces I look normal and things feel sort of okay. Going down stairs is the worst. Don't know how much Chukar hunting I'll be able to do this year and still don't have that new pup.

Gonehuntin' I'll be 74 on June 3rd. Sure you're too old?

Got ya by a year. Thing is, I've been through so many major surgeries. Broken leg and grafted ACL in SD, major back surgery last year, two bouts with cancer and two broken arms. My Doctor says I'm his retirement account. I usually hunt alone too. I guess in my old age I'm finally getting cautious. My Dr. asked me when I was going to realize I wasn't a kid anymore. There's a lot of country where chukar live that isn't as bad as Hell's Canyon. I would hunt them there. But looking at those youngsters dropping down those steep, scree covered hills left a sick stomach in the pit of my stomach. That's some tough country. Sun Valley has some civilized chukar country.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion