buried perimeter electric fence

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

buried perimeter electric fence

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:49 pm

I know someone who wants to use a buried electric fence to contain his dog. He says the electricity of the shock is "electrostatic" rather than ecollar type electricity. Is that so? Also, I thought using the fence might interfere with normal ecollar training work because in short order the dog will likely get collar wise. Thoughts?
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: buried perimeter electric fence

Postby orhunter » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:40 pm

I heard an enthusiastic dog will figure out the pain lasts a lot shorter time if they’re moving really fast. Once the dog gets out, how do you get it back?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:43 pm

In my experience, the "invisible fences" work decently well at keeping your dog in your yard. They don't work at all for keeping other animals out of your yard. That's why I got rid of mine years ago.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:08 pm

To my knowledge both modern ecollars and efences(wireless and buried wire) use electrical stimulation(static) and not shock. Similar to the electric pulses used in rehabbing muscles and nerves, adjustable to amount of stimulus(discomfort or pain) needed.

I successfully use a wireless perimeter fence for when I am around the house. Dogs go in kennels when no one is home. The dogs know the difference between this collar and the training collars. I have not had any issues if I am careful and think through the lesson I am wanting to re-enforce.

I would personally not trust an efence for when no one is home for following reasons, one as stated before, does not keep unwanted animals or humans out.

The second is, either hunting dog will run through it to get to me when they think I am out there hunting/planting birds and thus can learn to blast through it on the chase. They will come running up to me crying all the way as they are stimulated. I can go for a walk with the wife and they will stop at the perimeter as long as I give them no attention.

Third is doesn't keep the dogs away from packages and package delivery people unless you lay out the perimeter to do so.

My fence first beeps the collar as the boundary is approached, then issues a static pulse at desired set level for as long as the dog is at or past the perimeter or 30 second safety shut off(just load up your dog in the vehicle and forget to take off the collar as you drive off). The collar resets itself once it is back inside the perimeter. Does not stimulate on the return into the perimeter. Has to be inside the perimeter 2 seconds to reset.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:00 pm

Rehabbing muscles. Boy I had a lot of that recently. Quite an experience with the machine cranked up to fry.

I think it would be a bad idea to install the wire without also having an above ground sight reference to the wire’s position. A string around the yard with flags attached would work till the dog’s learn the drill.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:06 pm

I grew up in the Midwest and they were known not to work well with snow on the ground.

I've known other dogs that decided the juice was worth the squeeze and went for it.

That said at least one of my fosters lives with such a system and no known complaints about it not working on her. She's a high drive, well bred shorthair.

I don't think I'd be worried about e-collar training interfering with the electric fence.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:28 pm

thanks for the responses. They are helpful
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion