Drahthaar drive

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Drahthaar drive

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:49 pm

Lots to consider when you're looking for a pup. AG said that DD's are sharp with wild vermin - I'm personally not fond of having my dog kill raccoons or porcupines for fear they might get an injury themselves. And I think they're sharp on domestic cats as well. In our house there are four dogs and two cats underfoot and they all have to get along ... or else ... and some breeds are easier to work through all this than others.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Attidog » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:53 pm

Highlander - It looks like you are still a bit up in the air on breed. I'm just outside NYC - Bergen county, NJ - with a DL just under 9 months old. If you are still wanting to meet DL's in person, I know how rare DL's are so if you want to meet and see her in house and field you're more than welcome.
Attidog
Started
Started

Postby Highlander » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:48 pm

Attidog wrote:Highlander - It looks like you are still a bit up in the air on breed. I'm just outside NYC - Bergen county, NJ - with a DL just under 9 months old. If you are still wanting to meet DL's in person, I know how rare DL's are so if you want to meet and see her in house and field you're more than welcome.

Thank you so much!

It would be really amazing. I have yet to see a DL.

Did you hunt with him/her this year?
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:55 am

Bruce Schwartz wrote:Lots to consider when you're looking for a pup. AG said that DD's are sharp with wild vermin - I'm personally not fond of having my dog kill raccoons or porcupines for fear they might get an injury themselves. And I think they're sharp on domestic cats as well. In our house there are four dogs and two cats underfoot and they all have to get along ... or else ... and some breeds are easier to work through all this than others.

I expect training is needed to keep alot of Vdogs of all breeds away from wild vermin. Most all will run a deer until we break them of it. Likely so with coyotes too. An ecollar can be used in the same manner to dissuade any dog's natural interest in hunting fur, if that is what the Handler desires. Most bird dogs are not naturally steady on flushing, flying and falling birds either until we train them to be...

None of us will ever train a dog without overriding some it's natural wants and wishes to heed to our different wants and wishes.

I have only had one cat in my life, which was dumped on us and I took pity and set it up to live in our barn. Brought a GWP puppy home and they were best buddies until the cat finally passed on. The GWP played rough with the cat, I would break it up when I thought he was getting too rough and the dog did as I commanded it to do. The cat loved it and approached the dog soliciting the play at every opportunity.

If you frequent the DD forums it is common for folks to say their dogs peacefully co-exist with specific cats in the home that they have come to know. Stray cats are usually in peril unless the Handler handles and trains the dog otherwise.

DDs are a very trainable breed and like any dog they reflect the training they receive in the final product.

PS.

I get around a lot of GSPs on a regular basis. Select a pup from the right line/litter and it will be fine in the house. All high drive puppies will require patience, structure and training during their first year to shape them into good citizens. Outlets for regular exercise will be very helpful in this regard.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Attidog » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:21 pm

Yes I have. I'm still planning on taking her out for grouse upstate NY a day during the week and still some days somewhat locally for what any small game. You can PM me to arrange to meet up either in house and/or in field - I do have a few hundred acre area a few minutes from home I bring her out to run - no hunting but you can see her in field. She has no formal training - just sit, come, kennel - all I do is condition her.
Attidog
Started
Started

Postby Highlander » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:39 am

Attidog wrote:Yes I have. I'm still planning on taking her out for grouse upstate NY a day during the week and still some days somewhat locally for what any small game. You can PM me to arrange to meet up either in house and/or in field - I do have a few hundred acre area a few minutes from home I bring her out to run - no hunting but you can see her in field. She has no formal training - just sit, come, kennel - all I do is condition her.

I have PMed you.
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ccccrnr » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:15 pm

If you have cats or other indoor furry pets, DD and DK are a total NO go

If you want a dog that is equally good at house companion, duck blind, pheasants, or quail then your best answer is probably DD

i've never seen a DK kept inside the house, but i hear it works
DK also shed less then a DD and the DK's stink less then a DD

I've had lots of problems with GSP's in the house, even on medication they were bouncy or needy

DK's work a field or retrieve better then GSP's

DD & DK if you find a breeder that is on dog 2 or 3 and keeps them inside the house you'll probably get an awesome all arounder

GSP's have so much variation it can be very difficult for an outsider to GSP's to find what you really want.
ccccrnr
Started
Started

Postby NateRessler » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:45 pm

My dd just turned 2. 1st vdog for us. She loves that dog more than me. I had my wife take the pup to ob school. It's funny because around here there arent many working dogs. So the ob training had to be taken with a grain of salt. It took until he was 1 and a half to learn how to chill in the house. I dont think I will own another breed of dog. A machine in the field, and an attention hogging lover in the house.
NateRessler
Pup
Pup

Postby LongHammer » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:49 pm

I just read this whole thing and all I can say is your dog will act in the home however you allow it to. Otto my GWP is a few fries short of a happy meal. Always on always hunting. When he comes in the house he has to stop the shenannigans period.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:48 am

LongHammer wrote:I just read this whole thing and all I can say is your dog will act in the home however you allow it to. Otto my GWP is a few fries short of a happy meal. Always on always hunting. When he comes in the house he has to stop the shenannigans period.

Yes and no. Some things are manners/taught, some things are more innate. I've seen dogs that cannot sit still be calm, even if they aren't chewing something, getting into trouble, etc...

As compared to dogs that have never been in a house at all (I've fostered a couple) that take longer to adjust to being relaxed in the house...that requires more training and boundaries but the activity level of the dog is different.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:52 am

When I babysat a couple of KJ's Wirehairs (high powered kennel dogs) it took about two minutes for them to adapt to the easy house life.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:13 pm

orhunter wrote:When I babysat a couple of KJ's Wirehairs (high powered kennel dogs) it took about two minutes for them to adapt to the easy house life.

I think that's probably because they're well trained, well socialized and probably allowed in the house at least sometimes. And I really don't think that the horsepower of the dog has much to do with their temperament in the house.

People say things (usually directed specifically at Pointers and Hounds) to the effect that they're unfit for the house or you can't live in the house with them. If you take a dog that hasn't been socialized to be in a house then it can be a trainwreck, a la Bumpus' hounds in "A Christmas Story."
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:14 pm

I think some dogs have a on off switch, some dogs are stuck ON.
MY old DD does not have a on off switch ,she will be 13 in March.
My young DD is 2 and has a on off switch, very calm in the house, but a really hard hunter in the field .
So my opinion it is in the breeding. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion