Blue green algae

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Blue green algae

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:59 pm

3 dogs died in Wilmington N.C. and 1 in Georgia from blue green Algae bloom in a pond, Cyanobacteria
It is supposed to be green slime or brown, it is all over the US, starts when the water gets 75 deg , may have a rotten smell.
Can kill a dog in 15 minutes, toxic to all animals .
Not good where I live we are 2' below sea level . Forrest
Last edited by Drahthaar1108 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Blue green algie

Postby mtbirder » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:12 pm

Yup, found lotsa' places and deadly as hell.
Montana's Hebgen Reservoir (for example), at 6500'+ above sea level, a stone's throw outside YNP - it's a fairly common periodic occurrence here.
I generally keep my girls out of any stillwater containing any visible algae in the heat of the summer. Even though most is harmless.
I also have the luxury of cold/cool rivers and tribs at my disposal for the dogs swimming pleasure - and my peace of mind.
Ennis Montana's Bailey B - No pedigree, no prizes. Just 11 years of field excellence
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Blue green algae

Postby ryanr » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:42 am

Seems like a bad year for it, a number of lakes in NJ have had swimming and wading closures much of the summer due to blue-green algae outbreaks. I also know of young pup that reportedly succumbed to it. In my local lake (reservoir) where I run my dogs alot the swimming beach is sometimes closed due to bacteria levels (almost always after a hard rain followed by several hot days) but thankfully we don't seem to have an algae issue.

Our duck search water is a large lake/marsh that was formerly two peat quarries. We have plenty of lily pads and duck weed but no algae. I think it might have something to do with the tannic nature of the water.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby huntinmo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:40 pm

Another report, but it could be anywhere: "CENTERVILLE, Iowa – The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is warning about a potentially toxic blue-green algae bloom at Rathbun Lake in southeast Iowa."
huntinmo
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:25 pm

Pretty scary stuff. Just saw a story about couple who lost 3 dogs within hours of swimming in a pond in NC. Seems like we have more and more reports every summer out here in CA.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion