Hope we never become this..........

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Hope we never become this..........

Postby Dmog » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:07 am

mtbirder wrote:Image

What matters is how SHE judges ME......
She's almost 12, two knee surgeries, has been on the job in MT her whole life - this was taken 1/1/19. She's all business and don't care if we like her (my) fashion choice or not. And barring any unexpected issues, is ready to do Blue grouse in the MT Rockies in less than a month.
Orange at 9 degrees is a good look on her - she sports it much better than those pretty flyrod boys in their pastels. She's watched those goofballs from her seat in the raft for years.
Yup, practicin' poor form here, judging.
She could care less, just find those Huns she smells in the hawberry.................

She looks intense...Does she give you the look when you miss? I don't know at what experience level they learned to glance back at you on misses with what I believe is "Come on! I did my part..."I think my Griff started doing that at about 2 years old.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jlw034 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:14 am

I always love it when dudes criticize other dudes on what they're wearing. Who knew hunting and fishing fashion was so controversial.

Different strokes for different folks. They are buying licenses and lots of times supporting local shops.

Hunters and to a lesser extent anglers are a dying breed. We'd do best to embrace them instead of ostracizing them.

That camp photo is frustrating though. Just bad manners.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:23 am

AverageGuy wrote:I spent decades hunting in Carharts and they were a welcomed step up from freezing in blue jeans.

Carhart Bibs. Note the duct tape on the toe of those Danners to reduce the wear on the toe walking in the tall grass.

Used a front Loading Carhart bird vest for over 30 years too until I got the WW.

All the stuff I use now is better which is why I am using it.

JONOV,

When I was in college close to 40 years ago I bought a Datsun 310 front wheel drive hatchback. No AC, 4 speed manual, 4 cylinder that got 35 MPG. I laid the back seat down and put a tarp down. Hauled my B&T coonhound everywhere in it. Duck Decoys, Deer, turkeys, you name it, I got in that hatchback. It was so light and the front drive got excellent traction that it was just about unstoppable. I got some funny looks too. Never bothered me a bit. I was stretching a dollar and doing what I loved.

Who's the young guy in the red hat with no gray hair? :D
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:48 pm

orhunter wrote: If I ran into some old guy walking around the elk woods packing a Model 71 or a 721 with peep sights, I will judge him very favorably. Both guns should have most the bluing and finish worn off but not a speck of rust.

Some gear is worth whatever we have to pay because of function. Kenetrek etc. I think this thread is more about why a person may buy something. If it’s for the look and the admiration of our peers, we’re out of touch.

Harvey,

30 years ago the Wife moved her Quarter Horse from her family farm to the 40 acres we live on for a long while. I went in search of some small square bales of hay which lead me to George Lacey's farm a few miles away. I pulled into his always neat farm lot and a chubby GSP and equally cubby Springer Spaniel came out to greet me. Introduced myself and stated my business and then asked if he was a bird hunter.

One of those fortunate life events meeting George.

George was an old school sportsman in a big way. Hunted quail locally all his life, made trips to McCook Nebraska with his dogs every year for 40 years to hunt pheasants. Hunted the first deer season our State had and had not missed a season since. Hunted elk in Wyoming. When rain kept him out of the fields, he and his buddy headed to river to fish for walleye, white bass and catfish.

We did some bird hunting and fishing together before he passed. He was in his 80s and had both knees replaced, still farming, still running cattle. His only complaint was he not able to work as long and hard as he had all his prior life. He said my GWP was both the smartest and the ugliest dog he have ever seen.

George's bird gun was a short stock Franchi AL-48 Lightweight 12 gauge with a 24 inch barrel and his deer rifle was a Savage 99 in .300 Savage with peep sights and the rotary counter magazine on it. Well used and well care for. Both American classics owned and used by true Sportsmen across NA. He wore brown duck canvas hunting jacket and hat when we went bird hunting.

An old school Sportsman right out of Fur-Fish-Game magazine and my great fortune to cross paths with him for too short a time. His dogs were fat because his Wife fed them cookies in the house each night.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:44 pm

Kent:. My newest big game rifles and all but two shotguns are all within ten years of my age, 73. I have five shotguns that are older, dating back to 1916, an Ithaca 4E SBT. Next is a Model 12 20 ga. 1926 vintage. A model 31, first year of production. I don’t own a single plastic stocked shotgun or rifle and never paid over $450 for any of them, usually much less. I wear Wranglers when I dress up. I do have a heck of a nice boat.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:13 pm

RowdyGSP wrote:Yep... I fly fish as well as spin fish (mostly tossing plastic grubs for crappie). I won't be caught dead dressed head to toe in Simms and Patagonia gear. I'll stick with my trapping association ball cap, t-shirt and shorts with old tennis shoes used as wading shoes. And 30-year old fly rods. On the bright side, we've got 3 weeks until the bird opener. Perhaps I will run into you in Montana this year. I'll be in the Central-ish part of the state from September 8 to 15.

I used to think a little bit the same way until I learned the value of quality gear versus just overly expensive gear. Both Simms and Patagonia make high quality gear. Is it a bit expensive? Yeah. I guess when comparing it to the stuff I used to buy more frequently but that cost more than evens itself out when I'm not replacing gear every year or so. Just like when I took the plunge from buying $100-$150 hunting boots almost every year to paying $350 for a pair that I'll wear the heck out of for 5 or more years. I buy as high quality gear as I can afford, I just wear the hell out of it because I can't afford to buy the latest and greatest every season. That's the big difference I think. That's not to say that my usual upland brush pants are actually Dickies that I get at WalMart because I can buy 2-3 pairs for the price of 1 pair of Carhartts.

I love to wet wade but I always hated slipping and sliding and smashing my ankles on rocks trying to wade in tennis shoes. So I always wear my wading boots and I have a much better time now and can CONFIDENTLY reach so many more places on the river than I could teetering on tennis shoes. I have a pair of Simms wading boots now for 3 years that look barely worn and of course my Orvis fishing backpack has seen almost 20 seasons now.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtbirder » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:31 pm

RowdyGSP, Mid September I'll spend most days either hunting the SW MT mountains for blues, or using my old Winston IM6's fishing the rivers during the best time of the fishing year.
I'll hit the central part of the state after I put an antelope in the freezer in early October - with my old wood stocked .25-06 :D Don't expect great bird #'s, BTW.
Also BTW, No yuppie pastels allowed in my boat - just the way it is.
And Anybody thinks that hunter and angler numbers are on the downswing -that's because they are all leaving where they're from and moving to the Mountain West - please stop :(
Dmog, (I like to believe) I think she likes when I miss - that way she stays in the field longer. Sometimes we have nice long days out there......................
Ennis Montana's Bailey B - No pedigree, no prizes. Just 11 years of field excellence
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Dmog » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:30 pm

I lived and fished in the mountain streams of both Utah and Montana, as well as trips to CO to fish trout and nothing against fly fishing because it is fun and challenging but give me a worm and a spinning rod any day and that's what I will look like. Artificial only, I'll be casting a Rapala or a spoon. My red neck rating was high and frowned on by the yuppies, but I noticed I seem to catch more and bigger fish. My Yuppy and stream crowding rating for those states was from least enjoyable to most was CO, UT, and MT. MT had very little crowding and not much Yuppy influence compared to the other two but some landowners thought they owned all the access and would run wire through the streams and post them no trespassing. You could legally fish by staying in the high water mark, and I would wade upstream, then the Ranch Manager would harass you. No fun but preferred that to not having 40 yards of stream to fish by yourself in CO or UT. You had to get up in the mountain Brookies to enjoy the tranquility. Oh, and how dare I keep a fish to eat!

One of my fondest memories is catching a 6 lb Brown 26in chunk on the upper Madison river with a worm on 4lb test spinning reel. That dude made a run into the deep current and just held there for 20 minutes. I couldn't move him so I started wading up stream. The sun was shining and the red/pink/orange spots seemed to create this shimmering red streak and I thought it was a Rainbow that I was going to have to let go and not tire out, worse no one would believe me(no cell phone cameras back then). Fish finally tired enough to let me work it into the shallows and I was going to risk netting it or breaking my line because I didn't want it to not recover. That's when I saw it was a Brown and it made another run, I decided that I was keeping that fish if I could land it. Beautiful fish and it was damn tasty too! Now I have caught bigger fish but that one is special, just a beautiful day on a beautiful river and no crowds and there was challenge and excitement involved.

That being said, I don't have to have a catch or hunt like that to keep me going. It is enough for me just getting out and watching my dogs work. Something about that is my tranquility. My friends couldn't believe I released a 240lb Blue Marlin and two 120lb sailfish on my last fishing trip to Mexico. They were beautiful fish and I liked them just as much in the boat as swimming away, my favorite is the first time you see the full substance of them before landing them. Captain took measurements and was for x amount we can make a replica but I was that x amount would pay for another fishing trip with you. I am not judging anyone that mounts animals as I think it is cool to look at but I would rather go on another fishing trip and be skunked than mount those fish. I have pictures and memories.

I got a little off track and long winded and forgot my point, probably seeing fishing pictures brought back memories that I just wanted to share...that and I notice that what I value and believe in changes with experience and age. One should seek understanding before judging, cancer prevention is a smart choice with what we know now. The color we choose is a personal preference other than I do believe there is scientific data supporting mosquitoes and ticks are drawn to bright colors. So there is that...
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:59 pm

Every time I drive through MT I’m on the way to somewhere else. Someday maybe I’ll dedicate myself to stopping and enjoying what the state has to offer an amateur flyfisherman. I’ve never caught a truly large trout on a fly, maybe 18 inches and have never caught a Brown. My largest fly caught fish is an 11 lb. Summer Steelhead while fishing for Searun Cutthroat. 3 lb. leader. I used to fish the Deschutes regularly but haven’t in quite sometime. 50 fish over a foot long in a single day was common. That was back then.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtbirder » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:15 pm

Dmog ,
Funny you should mention the Madison and equate "my" (I have an intense and intimate 34 year relationship with it...) river with lack of crowding....
MT's fish & wildlife mgmt agency tracks angling pressure - the Madison is now THE #1 most fished water in the state. The vast majority of long time local fisherman have abandoned the river due to the crowding. The vast majority of the crowding during peak periods at access points and on the river is due to the commercial guide industry and it's insatiable quest for the almighty $$ and the furthering of their hype and mythical expertise (in a recreational activity....). The agency is in the 8'th year of a bumbling attempt to come up with a recreation plan - to address the guide induced crowding and to possibly give the river back to the public angler, while still providing the guides the living they feel they deserve from the Madison River's public resources. Impediments to this flailing process have included bureaucratic bungling and procrastination, an outfitter who was Governor appointed to the Fish and game Commission railroading the whole process, the commercial interests screaming bloody (and in all instances false) murder, and a general public fishing populous that has given up hope - as well as showing up - in the process. Bottom line- the Madison River is a mess.
Glad your memories are better than this. I have witnessed a depressing and pitiful 34 year decline of an American fisheries resource gem. Somehow the fishery has remained pretty healthy- too bad the enjoyment of fishing there has tanked.
How's this relate to bird dog guys' interests? In MT, we've lost a lot of access to once open private bird hunting lands to outfitting/leasing/rich-guys-buying-up-ranches-and-posting. The public lands, although plentiful, are getting filled to capacity (and more).
I'm maybe more sensitive to all this because I am a fierce public land hunter/angler and advocate. When you get involved, pay attention, and try to be part of solutions - you see the raw underbelly(s).
So glad I am 56 years old and seen better times for the public land hunter and fisherman. And the fact I retired from a 31+ year career last week and can spend the less crowded weekdays in the field with my wire faced four legged noses and on Montana's rivers - leave the weekends to the amateurs (in their pastels :lol: )
Whew....
Ennis Montana's Bailey B - No pedigree, no prizes. Just 11 years of field excellence
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby J D Patrick » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:47 pm

RowdyGSP wrote: I'll be in the Central-ish part of the state from September 8 to 15.

as will I,,,

if you see a black ford 150 with NC plates and a drahthaar,,and a one eyed fat man,,,give me a wave!
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:43 pm

mtbirder yeah I was out there on the Hi-Line last year and numbers were not good. About 2 coveys of sharpies a day was what the dogs and I found which was fine. We shot a few birds and let singles and double go for the most part. I don't need great bird numbers to have a good time but I like to think I put in enough windshield time and dog paws on the ground that I can still put the dogs on birds. Blues are some of my favorites to hunt and I'll be chasing them on the Idaho/Montana border for the opening weekend here then off to MT. I don't really have a set area to go to. Gonna start in the Central and then just drive and hunt good looking cover. That's how I like it anyway. Simple exploring. Camping with the dogs. Never turning the cell phone. Fishing that big lake in the eastern part of the state. Basically just enjoying a week+ long vacation in arguably my favorite state.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:46 pm

J D Patrick wrote:
RowdyGSP wrote: I'll be in the Central-ish part of the state from September 8 to 15.

as will I,,,

if you see a black ford 150 with NC plates and a drahthaar,,and a one eyed fat man,,,give me a wave!

Likewise if you see a blue F150 with a canopy, a GSP, an English setter and a skinny Idaho hick. Sending you a PM.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:37 am

Mtbirder,

Its not that I are one, its that I think Sportsman need to stick together for a common good. And yes the Earth has gotten crowded. I have hunted KS for 50 years, it is a zoo now compared to what it once was, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger in your lament of resource overuse ...

Don't know what to make of this guy. Seems to be a Hillbilly on the Osage River in a jon boat snagging paddlefish wearing Key work jeans and an Orvis shirt! Would that be what some call a Crossdresser?

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:24 pm

Went on a saltwater charter yesterday out of Belmar, NJ for fluke and black sea bass. I got one keeper (18" minimum) fluke and a bunch of sea bass. Overall we put a fair amount of fish in the boat for August. Not a banner day of fishing but decent. We used squid strip/ spearing combos and clams for bait. A couple guys used their own bucktail jigs too.

We had a 26 person charter mixed with moms, kids, newbies and experienced salts. Before the day began each person only knew a few other people on the charter. I don't remember giving a damn what anybody was wearing and we all helped each other and had a good time. And those of us that caught our limits were generous to have all the fish filleted together and divided up so everyone that wanted some fish to eat got some, regardless if they were wearing pastel colors or sun protective clothing. Man, as an enthusiastic hunter and angler I got better things than to complain about what another is wearing.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion