Hope we never become this..........

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Hope we never become this..........

Postby J D Patrick » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:29 pm

orhunter wrote:,,,Your dog should cost more than your shotgun and be twice as ugly.

dang skippy right there!!
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Dmog » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:33 pm

mtbirder wrote:
GONEHUNTIN' wrote:We are all ready there. Custom bird cleaning knives when a leatherman will do, customer fitted side by sides, $60,000.00 rigs to haul their dog's in for their one trip a year, hundred and fifty dollar shirts, hundred dollar pants, four hundred dollar boots; take a look at an Orvis or Kevin's catalogue; we're there.

I live, fish, (and up until last Wednesday :D ) and worked in Fly Fishing Mecca. Unfortunately, sometimes where I hunt - on MT public land - is Yuppy birddog guy mecca. First pic is my 2003 Tundra, my little spike tent camp, and Big Sky Country - bird hunting camp extraordinaire. I take off for the day with my pup to chase roosters for the day and come back to the 2'nd photo. Slug of guys in the finest upland clothing, $#*! ton of dogs chain out, the fancy dog trailer, crapload of gear spread out - all within pissing distance of my tent's doorflap. I assumed all that big MT open space to camp scared 'em a little.... I packed up camp and left the place to arrogant, clueless, punk, "hunters" - who happened to have a whole bunch of the finest in pointers primed to sweep the landscape and clean it of birds for the next few days......

So yeah, I guess "we" already do exist.......

I lived in Billings for 10 years and ice fishing on Fort Peck was the same scenario you explained. You would drill a few holes for tip ups sitting there on your ATV and a village with mobile homes would move in all around you. Shame on me for not joining them in their warmth...guess I didn't respect how much weight 16" of ice can hold!
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtbirder » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:59 pm

Very good lookin' doggies on your signature, Dmog :D
Bet they ain't yuppies.....
Ennis Montana's Bailey B - No pedigree, no prizes. Just 11 years of field excellence
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:36 pm

Crowding in a guy's camp is bad form.

So is judging fellow sportsmen by the gear they use.

This photo makes some interesting points. I am wearing $450 Kenetrek uninsulated Mountain Boots and they are worth every penny. I have hunted from Canada to Texas in them and they show very little wear, still waterproof, still excellent support for my ankles and high arch feet. I arrived at those boots after a few decades wearing Danner disposable crap at half the price. Glad I moved up and it has nothing to do with status, rather 100% improvement in function and if it takes money to get it so be it.

The shirt I am wearing is an Orvis shirt I have worn for over 30 years. It was a waxed cotton material that has worn like iron, turned the wind and brush, has zip off sleeves, large snap shut fold over pockets on both sides front. I bought some new Orvis pants (wearing the warm weather pair in the photo) and shirts last season and they will likely be sold at my Farm sale when I am no longer able to be in the field as they too are built for the long run.

Note the wear around the collar if you doubt its age and service.

I am currently using a Wings Works Vest. It was expensive and worth every penny. Room for tons of water and gear, excellent deep shell pockets which can also hold a cell phone and camera for quick easy access, straps to shed a jacket put on the back of the vest, shoulder, chest and waist straps which eliminate felt weight and fatigue on the shoulders. It also will never wear out.

I put 10 ply Michelin tires on my truck and have never had a flat, they ride quiet, perform excellent in mud, snow and pavement and get excellent long mileage. They are more expensive than the BF Goodrichs, Coopers, Goodyears I have used in the past but they are head and shoulders a better tire and worth the price.

I use Garmin Pro 550 and 550 Plus electronics. Best in class range of stimulation and features. More expensive than Sportdog and totally worth it to me.

My Brother has had cancer cut off of his face, ears and nose 3 times now. He wishes he had worn those sunscreen materials on his face while fly fishing all the name brand streams of the West going back 55 years ago...

I fish with St Croix rods, Pflueger Reels and Seagur Florocarbon line and catch more fish because of it. The rods are far more sensitive, the reels are smooth with excellent drags and the line is invisible to fish, sinks faster and has zero stretch when I go to set the hook. None of those rigs are the cheapest available but the quality is there is spades and I catch more fish because of it.

Nothing I have listed is to impress anyone but throwing down of fellow sportsmen for choosing quality gear is poor form. And ignorant to boot.
Last edited by AverageGuy on Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtbirder » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:58 pm

If I came across you in the field, AG, I'd compliment/ask you a few questions about your good looking friend. Wouldn't say a word about your clothes - hell, I wear Kenetreks. Boots are tools -not even a discussion in my book. Also the Wingworks is not an option but a necessity.
But -
If your Orvis pants are aquamarine, your shirt neon green, and you sport a flat wide brim high crown Yeti trucker hat - your gonna' get the tease -all in jest, and I expect a ration back about my 1/2 lab 1/2 grif mutt ..............
People are so touchy :D
Ennis Montana's Bailey B - No pedigree, no prizes. Just 11 years of field excellence
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Willie T » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:16 pm

Well dang, y’all get them too? As many as I see in Texas I thought they all came here. This time of year the Laguna Madre is brimming with em.
I will shamelessly confess to a weakness for sporty bird dogs and good looking timeless old school stack barrel shotguns though....
Willie

ps-all is not lost with the younger generation. This is my 19 year old son in his carhart’s with my bird dog. The two of them make a formidable pair.(tap image for full size)
8C21D572-1F19-4E50-A21C-7B99AE8D37BF.jpeg
8C21D572-1F19-4E50-A21C-7B99AE8D37BF.jpeg (123.67 KiB) Viewed 197 times
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:27 pm

mtbirder wrote:A Prius JONOV, really? That's "awesome". The patrons at the Hell Creek Bar in Jordan MT would love to see you pull up with a deer (you just slogged out of the Missouri Breaks gumbo with that outfit) in the back, hell they'd probably buy you drinks - maybe!
Come on, laugh with me.
PS - lotta' dog hair and anal gland stains in that thing, I hope :D

Heck yes, it's the V model so the longer wagon, it's brown (I ordered it in Brown because at the time, I was getting married, and I joked to my wife "I'm getting married so I don't have to worry about being cool anymore.)"

Since its brown, and therefore camo, I refer to it as "The Hunting Prius" at NAVHDA and with my hunting buddies. Always gets a look. It's actually a lot more entertaining to play it straight and act like there's nothing at all odd about hunting in one. PITA to clean out the dog hair when I have to drive with my boss, but I can fit two large Dakota Kennels in the back. I have the rubber mat in the rear so the deer fold up nicely on that and it hoses off.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:32 pm

I spent decades hunting in Carharts and they were a welcomed step up from freezing in blue jeans.

Carhart Bibs. Note the duct tape on the toe of those Danners to reduce the wear on the toe walking in the tall grass.

Used a front Loading Carhart bird vest for over 30 years too until I got the WW.

All the stuff I use now is better which is why I am using it.

JONOV,

When I was in college close to 40 years ago I bought a Datsun 310 front wheel drive hatchback. No AC, 4 speed manual, 4 cylinder that got 35 MPG. I laid the back seat down and put a tarp down. Hauled my B&T coonhound everywhere in it. Duck Decoys, Deer, turkeys, you name it, I got in that hatchback. It was so light and the front drive got excellent traction that it was just about unstoppable. I got some funny looks too. Never bothered me a bit. I was stretching a dollar and doing what I loved.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:46 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:I laugh at these yuppies but at the same time it makes me sad. It CAN be so expensive to get in to hunting and fishing that it discourages the youth and there in lies the danger. It it ain't expensive it ain't cool.

Actually I think the really hard part is learning where to direct money and where not to.

I couldn't stand shooting an 870 so I bought an SBE and never looked back. Lots of guys kill more birds than I do with an 870.

Waders: I've had expensive ones and cheap ones. Not sure that the expensive ones lasted any longer than the cheap ones, but they were more comfortable. That's what makes hard for me to figure out what to buy.

Fishing? I'll put a $40 reel on a $200 rod most of the time. That took me a long time to learn.

Fly-Fishing? Buy the best line they have, the best rod you can afford, the least reel you're happy with...
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:36 pm

“Never judge a person by the gear they use.” If I ran into some old guy walking around the elk woods packing a Model 71 or a 721 with peep sights, I will judge him very favorably. Both guns should have most the bluing and finish worn off but not a speck of rust.

Some gear is worth whatever we have to pay because of function. Kenetrek etc. I think this thread is more about why a person may buy something. If it’s for the look and the admiration of our peers, we’re out of touch.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtbirder » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:06 pm

What matters is how SHE judges ME......
She's almost 12, two knee surgeries, has been on the job in MT her whole life - this was taken 1/1/19. She's all business and don't care if we like her (my) fashion choice or not. And barring any unexpected issues, is ready to do Blue grouse in the MT Rockies in less than a month.
Orange at 9 degrees is a good look on her - she sports it much better than those pretty flyrod boys in their pastels. She's watched those goofballs from her seat in the raft for years.
Yup, practicin' poor form here, judging.
She could care less, just find those Huns she smells in the hawberry.................
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Urban_Redneck » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:51 am

What someone wears has little to do with whether he "is" or he "ain't". That guy with the $100 pants or custom fit double might be the guy who also buys tables at every RGS, DU, and Pheasants Forever banquet. Perhaps he spent the last 30 years working his ass off and is finally taking time to enjoy the fruits of his labors. He might not be "hardcore" but, he's out there. If he's good to his dogs, he is one of us.

Fly fishing on the other hand, attracts all sorts of weenies since "the movie".
Urban_Redneck
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:13 am

I don't think AG fits the "yuppie" picture :D :D . Nothing wrong with buying quality equipment: if you use it. I use what works. Carhart bibs work everywhere and in any temperature. I've worn the same Orvis field orange shirt for I'd guess over 20 years now. Of course, it's only worn a few months a year. In cold weather I wear a Beans wool shirt that is also ancient. I shoot a Browning Superlight Superposed that I've shot since 1968. I hate ball caps so a few years ago stumbled on a Scotish Shooting Cap. Finest cap for a wing shooter made but I only wear it in the woods, not in public :D . Only took me 60 years fo decide the English were right about caps. Boots, I currently wear Mendle's but had a pair of Danner Elk Hunters I have used for over 20 years and still have them. The old Danners made in America were fabulous boots.

Where I see the real "yuppie" upland hunters are at the shooting preserves. And don't get me wrong, I love preserves and use them all the time. BUT that's were you find the "shiny experts". You generally see them in the grouse woods the week the leaves fall and for a few days in SD and that's it. Pheasant Opener in SD is the other place to find them. Generally riding on the busses they use in pheasant drives.

So, we're not complaining about the guys that have worn the same pants or shirt for 20 years, it's the "posers".
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:54 am

Yep... I fly fish as well as spin fish (mostly tossing plastic grubs for crappie). I won't be caught dead dressed head to toe in Simms and Patagonia gear. I'll stick with my trapping association ball cap, t-shirt and shorts with old tennis shoes used as wading shoes. And 30-year old fly rods. On the bright side, we've got 3 weeks until the bird opener. Perhaps I will run into you in Montana this year. I'll be in the Central-ish part of the state from September 8 to 15.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:16 am

I kind of enjoy looking like I dress at Goodwill! :lol:
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion