Hope we never become this..........

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Hope we never become this..........

Postby mtbirder » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:53 pm

I spend as much time with a flyrod in my hand and a dog by my side fishing, as I do hunting over my wire faced girls.
The average extreme dude fly rodder nowadays embarasses this antique, old t-shirt/shorts, old Twins Cap clad, water whipper. May have to take up worm dunking.
If gundogguy/birdhunters ever get to looking like this, we're screwed...............
Ennis Montana's Bailey B - No pedigree, no prizes. Just 11 years of field excellence
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Hope we never become this..........

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:16 am

They are already out their, but yes I agree. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:43 am

We are all ready there. Custom bird cleaning knives when a leatherman will do, customer fitted side by sides, $60,000.00 rigs to haul their dog's in for their one trip a year, hundred and fifty dollar shirts, hundred dollar pants, four hundred dollar boots; take a look at an Orvis or Kevin's catalogue; we're there.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hunter94 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:46 am

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:We are all ready there. Custom bird cleaning knives when a leatherman will do, customer fitted side by sides, $60,000.00 rigs to haul their dog's in for their one trip a year, hundred and fifty dollar shirts, hundred dollar pants, four hundred dollar boots; take a look at an Orvis or Kevin's catalogue; we're there.

i just throw those cats in the trash when they hit my mailbox.
hunter94
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mtbirder » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:17 am

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:We are all ready there. Custom bird cleaning knives when a leatherman will do, customer fitted side by sides, $60,000.00 rigs to haul their dog's in for their one trip a year, hundred and fifty dollar shirts, hundred dollar pants, four hundred dollar boots; take a look at an Orvis or Kevin's catalogue; we're there.

I live, fish, (and up until last Wednesday :D ) and worked in Fly Fishing Mecca. Unfortunately, sometimes where I hunt - on MT public land - is Yuppy birddog guy mecca. First pic is my 2003 Tundra, my little spike tent camp, and Big Sky Country - bird hunting camp extraordinaire. I take off for the day with my pup to chase roosters for the day and come back to the 2'nd photo. Slug of guys in the finest upland clothing, $#*! ton of dogs chain out, the fancy dog trailer, crapload of gear spread out - all within pissing distance of my tent's doorflap. I assumed all that big MT open space to camp scared 'em a little.... I packed up camp and left the place to arrogant, clueless, punk, "hunters" - who happened to have a whole bunch of the finest in pointers primed to sweep the landscape and clean it of birds for the next few days......

So yeah, I guess "we" already do exist.......

Ennis Montana's Bailey B - No pedigree, no prizes. Just 11 years of field excellence
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ryanr » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:41 am

mtbirder wrote:I spend as much time with a flyrod in my hand and a dog by my side fishing, as I do hunting over my wire faced girls.
The average extreme dude fly rodder nowadays embarasses this antique, old t-shirt/shorts, old Twins Cap clad, water whipper. May have to take up worm dunking.
If gundogguy/birdhunters ever get to looking like this, we're screwed...............

They wear those for sun protection on the water, especially if you're on the water a lot. More common on the saltwater flats but definitely see more anglers wearing them on bigger rivers too. And if you haven't seen the Orvis Cowboys in the bird hunting world as well, you aren't looking.

I don't really get worked up over trivial stuff like what another hunter or angler is wearing. Although I do get a chuckle when i see an Orvis cowboy decked out in $1000 wading ensemble and $1000 fly rod but he can't read the water and keeps asking me "are you matching the hatch? What fly are you using?"
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtbirder » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:14 am

My home is the Madison,Gallatin, Yellowstone, Big Hole. Oh I see see plenty of the over-rated handsome chartreuse guides and their adoring glowing neon clients. :wink:
And if you note the country (from the above pics) I run my girls in, I see way more old grubby ranch cowboys than I do the "orvi" variety. BTW, MT ranch folks get a real kick out the khaki/orange/kangaroo leather boot folks - most of those boys is from outta state...... :lol:
Last edited by mtbirder on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:14 am

The face gear is becoming popular here on the left coast especially with guides who are on the water every day. Probably a good idea although it looks awfully dorky. I might try one as I’m on the water pretty much every day for the remainder of the summer and into fall. I put the boat in the slip yesterday so I’m primed to get out there.

Yea, those pretty boy fly fisherpersons are a sight to behold. I’m probably the worst dressed of the lot and another even bigger difference between us, I can out fish all of them pretties here on the Deschutes. I’m the worst dressed hunter also and no fancy shotgun. My Model 12’s and A-5‘s work just fine.

Being old an opinionated isn’t a weakness.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hunter94 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:22 am

ahhhhhh . the old Model 12.....fond memories of seeing those way back when.
hunter94
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:42 am

I used to get a kick out of hanging around the fly shops in Sun Valley. Those foreign fishermen would come in, mostly German and Japanese and they'd buy the entire ensemble. Five hundred (at the time) dollar rod, three hundred dollar reel, extra spools, totally stocked fly box, the most expensive waders, float tube, hats, shirts; all for two or three days on Silver. I do admit, I was envious.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:34 am

You seem to have an awful lot of hate for guys that are well dressed or like nice things. I'm 31. My college roommate has already had bits hacked off his face. I make do wiht a baseball hat but I probably should look at one of those ski-mask things.

When you get down to it you don't "need" more than a leatherman, an 870, a pair of carharts and a cheap orange vest/hat. Most of us own something nice. I have a nice, lightweight upland vest from Orvis, a gift from my parents when I was exploring hunting, before I even bought a gun, and I value it, as they don't hunt. I have a Dakota Kennel; I'd find using a cheaper kennel frustrating as I was tired of zip tying them shut (my dog opens them, because he can.)

I'd be lying to your face if I said I wouldn't upgrade my vehicle given half a chance, as fun as it is pulling up to the deer processor in my Prius. But, the vehicle is paid for (job perk) so it will do.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:58 am

Don’t get me wrong, I like nice stuff.. like beautiful wood that is found only on expensive firearms. Tasteful engraving is fine also but so much is way over the top and says more about the owner than the sport. Don’t want to be part of a fad that involves only the wealthy or those wanting to be seen as one. I can afford a Holland & Holland but you’ll never find one in my gun safe. Your dog should cost more than your shotgun and be twice as ugly.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hunter94 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:00 am

JONOV wrote:You seem to have an awful lot of hate for guys that are well dressed or like nice things. I'm 31. My college roommate has already had bits hacked off his face. I make do wiht a baseball hat but I probably should look at one of those ski-mask things.

When you get down to it you don't "need" more than a leatherman, an 870, a pair of carharts and a cheap orange vest/hat. Most of us own something nice. I have a nice, lightweight upland vest from Orvis, a gift from my parents when I was exploring hunting, before I even bought a gun, and I value it, as they don't hunt. I have a Dakota Kennel; I'd find using a cheaper kennel frustrating as I was tired of zip tying them shut (my dog opens them, because he can.)

I'd be lying to your face if I said I wouldn't upgrade my vehicle given half a chance, as fun as it is pulling up to the deer processor in my Prius. But, the vehicle is paid for (job perk) so it will do.

i never felt bad driving a new 4X4 p/u, every 4 or 5 years....solid transportation when out in the boonies just makes sense.
hunter94
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mtbirder » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:34 am

A Prius JONOV, really? That's "awesome". The patrons at the Hell Creek Bar in Jordan MT would love to see you pull up with a deer (you just slogged out of the Missouri Breaks gumbo with that outfit) in the back, hell they'd probably buy you drinks - maybe!
Come on, laugh with me.
PS - lotta' dog hair and anal gland stains in that thing, I hope :D
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:38 am

I laugh at these yuppies but at the same time it makes me sad. It CAN be so expensive to get in to hunting and fishing that it discourages the youth and there in lies the danger. It it ain't expensive it ain't cool.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion