Help With A Couple Puppy Questions

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Help With A Couple Puppy Questions

Postby ForTheBirds84 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:04 am

Lol... I was just like you about two weeks ago then I picked up the pup...My question for the group is will I ever sleep a full night again? Just kidding..Kind of. :morning:
Just be prepared. My first two nights the pup slept through both nights no accidents. I got him up at 2:30 each night to pee. Not a peep made otherwise. The weekdays have been a different story. But It's coming along. Just prepping you for all the puppy stuff that my mind repressed from 15 years ago when I had my last pup :lol:

Libertyrocks wrote:Good thread.

I feel much better about 8 weeks now and can’t wait to get started. Last weekend I put together a spreadsheet with training goals/intro work, starting age, and YouTube links or book references.
ForTheBirds84
Started
Started

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Thu May 16, 2019 8:29 pm

Chinook portrait second day.jpg
Chinook and Cowboy playing.jpg
Chinook and CB.jpg

Don't forget to take pictures - they grow pretty fast!
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu May 16, 2019 10:46 pm

Thanks Bruce. Great stuff.....
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Libertyrocks » Fri May 17, 2019 7:07 am

Gotta love the intensity in those eyes, all business. Great looking pup!
Libertyrocks
Started
Started

Postby Dmog » Fri May 17, 2019 8:07 am

Nice looking pup! Keep us posted.
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Willie T » Fri May 17, 2019 5:11 pm

Thanks for that Bruce, your pics made me smile. That little rascal looks like it is gonna be a handful before long.

Good times to the both of you!
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri May 17, 2019 6:41 pm

Great photos Bruce. Cute Pup!
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:24 pm

Beautiful pup. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Mon May 20, 2019 9:41 am

Thank you!
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Buck Dancer » Thu May 23, 2019 10:39 am

Besides spurts of cuteness, be prepared for a few months of hell. Accidents in the house, biting, chewing, middle of the night potty breaks. If we get a dog every 10 years or so we tend to forget those first few months and only remember the cuteness.

Looking back, my first few puppies were absolute terrors, while my 3rd dog was a dream puppy. Got him later than normal at 12 weeks and he slept through the night in his crate day one, never cried, took to training, and only had one or two accidents. I force fetched him in less than 2 weeks during the winter on my living room floor.

My current dog is going on 10 months (got him at 8 weeks) and everyone in the family was angry with me after a few weeks for bringing home an absolute monster - my daughter, an ally in my pitch for another dog took to hiding in her room to get away from him. While I was in the yard of the breeder with him while he was getting the paperwork ready the little monster was biting my ankles with sharp puppy teeth the entire time. It took him until about 5/6 months for him to stop the constant puppy biting and has turned into a very good so far and I am pretty sure he will ace his hunt test in a few weeks.

The good news is the worst of my puppies have turned into the best hunting dogs. The dream dog puppy while by far the easiest to train had the lowest hunting drive of them all. Being a nice calm puppy makes for a great house dog, but maybe not the best field dog.
Buck Dancer
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Thu May 23, 2019 9:56 pm

Buck Dancer: Just the opposite for me. My first Griff was a puppy for two years. When I brought home the second one, she walked in the front door and plopped down in the dog bed in the middle of the living room floor. Life was good. If she wasn’t hunting, she had the best off switch in the world. When hunting, the afterburners were always lit. Third was a male so he was naturally calm. I was really lucky with all three dogs when house training because the weather was great and I could leave the doors to the back yard open.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri May 24, 2019 7:06 am

LET THE PUP BE A PUP. When you take a pup to young, you gain nothing and lose a lot. People that take a pup at six weeks experience problems with a pup; he doesn't know how to be a dog. There can be problems later breeding the dog and social problems as well. Between six and ten weeks there is a tremendous difference in how the pup acts. At six weeks or even eight, you can tell little. At ten weeks you can tell a lot. Over twelve weeks, it becomes detrimental. You lose nothing in training time taking an older pup. I saw countless times when people brought me a pup at nine months they had been working with religiously from 8 weeks on and I had other pups just come in at 9-10 months with NO training. In two months time it was not unusual for the pup with no training to surpass the pup that hat been worked with a lot at a younger age. Why? You could put pressure right away on the older pup and progress him at a rapid rate. Many times the young pups had to have problems fixed caused by young training before they could progress. You have to go so slow with the young ones, they learn little that lasts from formal training. Exposure not training is the key for young dogs. Exposure to cover, birds, water, the leash, all with no pressure but a lot of praise and rewards.

I have posted on here how I chose pups and I was incredibly successful using the method. Clients paid me to pick their pups. The key was, the pups had to be a minimum of ten weeks for me to do it. To this day, I think 10 weeks is the ultimate time to pick a pup. Given the choice, I'd rather choose at 12 than 8. I would never take a pup at six weeks and past 12.

I worked for a kennel that had a "puppy pen". The pups not sold by 10 weeks went into the puppy pen with pups up to six months. It was horrible. The young ones were cowed, the old ones bit you in play when you went in to feed them or clean the kennel. We trained them at six months and they were horrible to work with. They had no bond with people, no manners, and would bite you in a heart beat same as they did the pups in the pen. I used to try to reason with the owner, but never could. They were truly horrible dog's to work with.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri May 24, 2019 9:01 am

All this human bonding crap we hear about 7 week pups is just crap, a carryover from the University of Labrador school of thought. I doubt any of those graduates could determine at what age the litter was split up when looking at them somewhere down the road. Your dog hates you because you waited till 9 weeks to get him. What a load.

Agree with Gonehuntin’ about the 12 week thing. They are so different by then and pretty much ready for what the world throws at them as long as it isn’t from an owner who believes they need a finished gun dog by summer’s end. I’m happy if the pup knows whoa, come and provides a decent fetch. We’re ready to hunt at that stage. By December, the pup is wearing an e-collar and steadiness is being addressed.... if necessary. Depends on the pup. We don’t just slap the collar on a dog because we can. Everything has a purpose.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Fri May 24, 2019 1:47 pm

Seven weeks is really early - the pups eat, sleep, and cuddle but not much else. At 9 -10 weeks they have an identifiable personality. Mine is 9 weeks old and still wants to suckle our older female (who, interestingly, seems to enjoy it, despite not being his mother).

This exercise pen from PetCo saved our bacon - the pup is confined but is part of the rest of the household. Highly recommended!

exercise pen.jpg
exercise pen.jpg (50.93 KiB) Viewed 898 times
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion