Alaska for an Upland Hunter

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Alaska for an Upland Hunter

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu May 16, 2019 8:50 pm

Duckdon wrote: Cost to hunt is high and transportation very challanging. I suggest you get a job before you arrive. Jobs are very limmited in the outlying communities.

Don and Crew.

I'm curious how costly hunting up there is? Are you talking about big game only? I'd be interested to hear more about that, as I'm definitely not made of money.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Fun Dog » Thu May 16, 2019 11:12 pm

AlaskaMagnum wrote:[quote

Don and Crew.

I guess for clarification, by short I am not specifically talking about the actual season's dates, but more like freeze up, weather, short daylight hours, etc. I guess you could go hunting in the dark at -30, but I usually quit when conditions were like that.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure we hunted every month of bird season. It’s not always 30 below, even in the coldest months and we do have daylight unless you’re in Barrow. Spring hunting is my favorite with hard packed snow and plenty of daylight. We often put the dogs in the trailer and tow them by snow mobile out to the hunting grounds. This photo was mid-February on the Denali Highway. Temp about zero. After a bit of snowshoeing the coat comes off in a hurry.
Attachments
02742759-A511-4716-8805-2F1935D2A410.jpeg
Dori
Fun Dog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri May 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Nice pic Dori, I actually really enjoy upland hunting when it's zero or single digits.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AlaskaMagnum » Fri May 17, 2019 7:01 pm

RowdyGSP wrote:
Duckdon wrote: Cost to hunt is high and transportation very challanging. I suggest you get a job before you arrive. Jobs are very limmited in the outlying communities.

Don and Crew.

I'm curious how costly hunting up there is? Are you talking about big game only? I'd be interested to hear more about that, as I'm definitely not made of money.

Depends. Caribou used to be cheap when the Mulchatna herd was booming you could fly across the inlet from Anchorage and hunt for $500. Hunting was excellent, bulls we're huge. Those days ended and then the Western Artic Herd was booming. A jet into Kotzebue and then another $1200 or so out to the hunting grounds.

Moose expense depends on the hunt. My dream hunt was to leap frog down the Yukon with my boat with another, but that hunt priced out over $5,000 so I never did it.

My friend paid $4000 to hunt a musk ox.

You could hunt black bear cheap and deer off a boat in Prince William Sound was not an expensive hunt.
AlaskaMagnum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Sat May 18, 2019 8:37 am

How long do you have to live in Alaska before you can get a resident hunting license? Just something to think about, because I know certain species you can only hunt with a guide (and maybe with a family member that’s a resident) for non residents. I’m sure somebody else knows more about this than me, it’s probably just big game species.
Sooty42
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 am

Sooty42 wrote:How long do you have to live in Alaska before you can get a resident hunting license? Just something to think about, because I know certain species you can only hunt with a guide (and maybe with a family member that’s a resident) for non residents. I’m sure somebody else knows more about this than me, it’s probably just big game species.

12 months is the residency requirement and you only need a guide for Dall sheep, goat, brown and grizzly bear as long as you are a citizen of the US. At least that's how I read the regs when I looked at them a few weeks ago
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:30 pm

IS upland bird hunting, duck hunting expensive ? is their a lot of public land to hunt upland birds & ducks ? Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Fun Dog » Sat May 18, 2019 8:21 pm

If you have two legs, all it costs is muscle power to get to the birds. Ducks, you can sneak up on. We often hunt both on the same day. Gas to get to the trail head. Of course, you can make it as expensive as you want. Hire a plane to fly in. Buy a snow mobile to do winter hunts. Maybe an ATV as well.
Dori
Fun Dog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat May 18, 2019 10:19 pm

That's good to know Dori. I would plan on buying a snowmachine but mainly to run a trapline in the winter. But since I'd have the machine anyway might as well use it to tow the dogs out to better areas away from the roads. Good to know that big game is the only real expensive excursion. I'm a bird hunter and trapper to the core. Big game just fills the freezer. And the way I look at it I snowshoe in on some hunts here in North Idaho. On top of 2 or 3 feet of snow. So snowshoeing in on top of 5 or 6 feet of snow is still snowshoeing on top of snow. Just a bit colder up there. I'm good with that.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AlaskaMagnum » Sun May 19, 2019 7:28 am

Nice to see the VDD expanding in Alaska. Jenny and I ran our dogs through the first HZP held up there. Jenny put it all together. Jack Mansfield was our judge. I brought halibut and we had a fish fry after the test.

It's been a long time.
AlaskaMagnum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Sun May 19, 2019 8:23 pm

Awesome , had some of Jack Mansfield blood line back in the 80's . Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Duckdon » Mon May 20, 2019 11:05 am

RowdyGSP wrote:

Don and Crew.

Clarify: The cost of transportation to go hunting is high: On the road systems, of which are no many its very competitive, distances are vast. I think nothing of driving 400 miles to hunt one day for birds. Gas is $3.40 a gallion now in the local area and will get over $7 in some rural areas. Vehicle transportation is expensive seeing you need 3 boats, snow machines, ATVs, a plane and then all the trucks and trailers to get everything from point A to B. River systems get pretty busy. Main winter trails are busy. Fall AVT access hunts are a zoo for big game. All that said, I live in Alaska for a reason. Dori said it. I can hunt upland 7 months a year and we do. Great water fowl if you can figure out access. Big Game is pretty good in places but the vastness of the country make doing your homework essential. We have less big game per square mile than most of the lower 48.

Your single? Give it a go. Not much to loose and everything to gain if you can get use to the lifestyle.

Don and Crew.
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue May 21, 2019 4:55 pm

If you go there be sure to make an annual trek down to Southeast at Stikine delta (between Petersburg and Wrangell) where the waterfowl shooting is spectacular. They have 18 foot tides and birds sit on mudflats at low tide and move in and feed the grass lands at high tide. Water going up and down 18 feet every six hours can present some issues.

Stikine mudflats.jpg
Stikine mudflats.jpg (389.9 KiB) Viewed 105 times

Stikine delta.jpg
Stikine delta.jpg (397.68 KiB) Viewed 105 times
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue May 21, 2019 7:16 pm

Another cool spot is out on Adak - Alaska air only goes in once a week, but the ptarmigan are well worth it!

Adak vista.jpg

Adak more.jpg

Adak shore shot.jpg
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue May 21, 2019 7:22 pm

Adak Ptarmigan.jpg

Adak skookum point.jpg

Adak Oz ptarmigan.jpg
Bruce Schwartz