Prey drive

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Prey drive

Postby Fun Dog » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:26 pm

Heck, you can see the drive in these two And they haven’t even hit the field yet.
Attachments
FF2AED10-70D8-47DE-92F7-E228900C4B0C.jpeg
FF2AED10-70D8-47DE-92F7-E228900C4B0C.jpeg (77.92 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
Dori
Fun Dog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:09 am

orhunter wrote:That’s cooperation.

:lol:
Urban_Redneck
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby KJ » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:31 pm

That’s cooperation.

I agree with Orhunter. That is the only thing you can conclude from that story - he brought a live duck back to you.

Nobody knows if the dog trailed that duck through cattails and lily pads for an hour before catching it, or it was sitting at the waters edge when he went down to get a drink, so he decided to pick it up. The story proves nothing about prey drive, but it does tell you a lot about the dog's cooperation, which is very valuable in itself.
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Highlander » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:43 pm

Prey of a gundog depends on how we understand prey drive.
I assume it may depend on culture of hunting with a dog and judging a dog. What I have observed that amerincan and german hunters value and define prey drive in very similar way. Prey drive of a dog is decoupled from how fast a dog is performing in given situation. If a dog is methodical and thorough, but in the same time basically walks or jogs, then the dog is assumed to have a good prey drive. Especially if the results are positive.
This, in my opinion, could be reason why neither german nor amerincan trail systems evaluate the style of a dog, which is innate and inherited characteristic of any bird dog breed and varies from breed to breed.

For example this a video of 2018 FCI field trail of continental breeds (90% of them are not bred under german system)

https://youtu.be/8Oi3mC5MsCw

Do these dogs appear to have a pray drive and speed? I am sure they do as we can see.
Would these dogs be considered good upland dogs by american or german hunters? It's highly unlikely.
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:29 pm

My two Griffs were entirely different dogs. The crappy one had tons of prey drive, was in it for the kill. The good huntin’ dog was in it for the chase, had no idea how to finish the job although she’d been in on a few kills and saw how it was done.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bwjohn » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:01 pm

i did not take the time to read the 4 pages, but I would like to give you some advice:

In the dog world, if you are happy with your dog at the end of the day, then don't worry about what someone else says/scores/evaluates your dog as. My dog(s) go home with me at the end of the day and I love the way my 2 oldest hunt, not for everyone else's liking but for me, it is what I want. I have 2 puppies, one 22 weeks and one 18 weeks, if I can be so lucky with these two I will be a happy dog man.

enjoy your dog and love hunting over him/her, your next dog may be different because your hunting life may change or it may not. just enjoy your dog!

best regards brandon
bwjohn
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion