Ten Year Question

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Ten Year Question

Postby PAkid » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:02 am

I am new to the versatile dog world and this forum. I have been searching the forums and have learned a lot. I see that this forum is over ten years old, and that many users have been hunting for much longer than that.

I am curious to hear opinions as to which breed/strain/ breeding program has improved the most in terms of hunting, testing, health, and temperament in the last ten years? And which breed/strain has fallen out of favor?

Also which of the more recent European imported breeds/strains have gained a respectable foothold in the US and will make a larger impact in the next ten years?
PAkid
Pup
Pup

Re: Ten Year Question

Postby Steve Anker » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:35 am

CLUMBER SPANIEL.........!
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:23 am

Yes, the Clumber's popularity has grown by leaps and bounds.

I would say the biggest looser is the Brittany and to a lesser degree, the English Setter and certainly the Weimaraner. All the ugly breeds have taken a huge leap forward. The EP is and always has been strong.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:51 pm

Pointers.....

They have been MY number one dog for around 50 years now, give er take a few years!
But don't go by me....after all I tout the CLUMBER SPANIEL.

Harvey... I'd bet, is more familiar wifff the hairy breeds, the ones that resemble a Wooley Mammoth.
The fuzzywooleywheredoIstartandwheredoIendhairballmakers.... 8)
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:55 pm

Pointing Labradors.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1500 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigshrimp » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:24 pm

This one at minimum doubled its numbers in the past 10 years.

Not just the ugly dogs Hoss but the purty 'uns too!

Bigshrimp
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby blue04 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:52 am

orhunter wrote:I would say the biggest looser is the Brittany

Any thoughts on why that might be the case? Has the overall quality of Britts declined, shifting fancy of the hunting population, something else?
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:34 am

Yo Bigshrimp...?

Whazzat?

A German Mane of Longish Hound ? Spelled funny, German Laaaaaaaanghair?
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:22 am

Don't know that many of us have that great an overview when it comes to other breeds. From what I have seen, heard and read, i would have to say that the Griff has made big strides in spite of the political squabbling....performance within NAVHDA has had a huge improvement over the past 10-15 years. Certainly you would have to mention that the GSP has virtually taken over NAVHDA...there are an enormous amount of good dogs helped by a strong group of dedicated breeders/handlers. I have seen big improvements in the DD as far as the overall dog...performancehas continued to improve but the conformation/coat and overall athleticism have made the biggest gains IMO. There are some interesting emerging breeds and my favorite would be the Small Münsterländer...pretty potent dog in a very comfortably sized package. Haven't seen one yet I wouldn't be happy to put in the truck. Sadly they lack beards... :lol:
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigshrimp » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:12 pm

Steve Anker wrote:Yo Bigshrimp...?

Whazzat?

A German Mane of Longish Hound ? Spelled funny, German Laaaaaaaanghair?

Grand Prize!!!

An ugly dog on a pretty package :mrgreen:
Bigshrimp
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:45 am

I'll take the set of Steak knives and the rest on a SPIEGEL gift Certificate.......Pleeeeeze
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby chiendog » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:02 pm

Interesting questions! Let me take a stab at em.

...which breed/strain/ breeding program has improved the most in terms of hunting, testing, health, and temperament in the last ten years? And which breed/strain has fallen out of favor?

Breeds that were solid ten years ago seem to be just as solid today. Pointers, Setters, Brittanies, Draht/GWPs, GSP/Kurz are all still doing quite well. Pudelpointers seem to be gaining even more ground thanks (mainly I believe) to the PP Alliance. Griffs are making good progress, Spinoni have improved and breeders/hunters interested in field-bred Weimaraners are (finally) starting to get their act together. I can't really think of any one breed of v-dog that has fallen out of favour, but it is becoming increasingly clear that numbers of dogs being bred are down across almost all breeds in much of the world. And hunting dog breeds are no exception. In fact, if anything, their decline may be even greater than many of the other breeds. Even more obvious is that some of the traditional kennel clubs, registries and breed clubs are in decline, in particular, the AKC which seems to be in almost a free fall (see http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.ca/201 ... lapse.html) On the other hand, v-dog clubs affiliated with the parent club in Germany are becoming more numerous and most of them seem to be doing very well. Ten years ago, there were only a couple (VDD and one club for the Deutsch Kurzhaar/GSP) now there are more. The Deutsch Langhaar, Pudelpointer now have such clubs and the Small Munsterlander folks are in the process of forming one for their breed and there is talk of one for the Weimaraner.

Also which of the more recent European imported breeds/strains have gained a respectable foothold in the US and will make a larger impact in the next ten years?

The French Brittany and the Braque Francais seem to be gaining ground and good things are (finally) starting to happen for the Bracco Italiano. The Braque du Bourbonnais and Braque d'Auvergne have gained a few more converts and the French Spaniel (épagneul francais), always a popular breed in Quebec, is starting to branch out a bit. Another breed to keep an eye on is the Cesky Fousek. It is also making inroads into the North American hunting scene. There are still a few more breeds that have yet to gain a foothold in North America, but I think they should be better known. The Picardy Spaniel and the Portuguese Pointer for example are two breeds that, given a chance, could really suit a lot of hunters over here.
chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:32 pm

The reason I mentioned the Brittany is that I just don't see them any more like I used to. Might be nothing more than where I live. Used to be, if you hunted upland in Orygun, you had a Brittany. I did. Now, it's a mix of GSP's and Wirehairs as the top two. Probably the PP is a close third. Don't have any actual statistics, just a gut feeling.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:05 am

BRITTANY....?

A four legged dust mop?
We rent one out for cleaning under the couch.......spray em up wifff pledge and send em in....
Brittany?
You can stuff twelve in a 400 varikennel.....
Star Trek...the TRIBBLE was created in the image of a Brittany. (might be a bit too old for most)
If you feed them they double.........in numbers.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:26 am

Four years later what are the trends you all are seeing....
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion