Doggy KEVLAR? What's your TICK preventitive?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Doggy KEVLAR? What's your TICK preventitive?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:38 pm

I LOVE Nexgard. I've not had anyone complain and we are selling a lot of it. We just started carrying Bravecto early this month and a lot of people really like the 12 week prevention option. Thus far no complaints. Someone's dog will react poorly eventually, but this is one of the smoothest new drug roll-outs I've experienced. Nexgard was introduced more than a year ago so I would expect to have seen any hints of trouble to come by now.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:22 pm

When considering swapping over to Bravecto last year I found a lot of negative reviews, there seemed to be a spirited campaign against it from owners who's pets had bad reactions or even died. Hard to really know how widespread (or even true) some of that stuff is. I decided to stick with frontline plus for the season (I only really need the preventative during the hunting season) and it was fine. When researching I seem to remember favoring Bravecto over Nextguard, I think it was because Bravecto killed ticks much faster than Nextguard, which I think is important to reduce potential transmission of the various tick-borne diseases. I'll probably again consider my preventative choice in a few months as hunting season rolls around. It good to hear some real-world users are happy with the new options.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby twistedoak » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:55 pm

while hunting last week I got talking to a gentleman with 2 setters
one of his setters had just got over severe pancreas problems after using bravecto.
said it was touch and go for awhile and was just ending 4 mths worth of treatment and bloodwork because of it
twistedoak
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:07 pm

Going to talk to my vet about it tomorrow. I'm thinking of starting the pup on an oral, and keeping the old dog on frontline plus. They will both be training in the same area this summer, so I can run my own little clinical trial :D
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mbulg » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:36 pm

GFORCE wrote:Are we talking about the oral dose of Nexgard? My wife just went by the Vet and thats what they sold her. I looked it up online and saw a lot of negative reviews. Lots of bad side effects. Has anyone experienced that?

My brother’s two year old Lab had all the reported Nexgard side effects (vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and loss of appetite). It lasted about three or four days, but it did a fine job on the ticks which are ferocious by us.

That’s why I asked what others have experienced. Still, I’ll probably give it a try next time around and see how my dog tolerates it.
mbulg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby aaronk » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:22 pm

On the 3rd month of Nexgard with my pup. Can't speak to how effective it's been quite yet, but no side effects.
aaronk
Started
Started

Postby bhennessy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:40 pm

Just changed up Bear's flea/tick medication due to his having bad reactions to the 60+ lb trifexis pill. Doc and I agreed to put him on the 6 mo heart/worm injection and Bravecto for the fleas and ticks and drop the Trifexis.

Seems strange not giving him something monthly. I haven't seen any side affects, but will report back if I do. Trifexis made him catatonic for over 24 hours...couldn't get him out of bed, even to pee. Only happened when he got to the 60+ lb dosage a couple months ago.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GFORCE » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:51 am

Put Packer on Nexgard 2 weeks ago and have not had any side effects. All ticks found have been dead ones.
Not sure exactly how long it is taking to kill them but I don't think its longer that 12 hours or so.
GFORCE
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby jlw034 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:13 am

Just an update for those interested. I used frontline for a couple months and was pulling ticks off my dogs after every field day.

Been on nexgard for a month now. Have seen lots of ticks crawling on my dog, but have yet to find one attached.

No side effects yet. Very happy with the change.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:36 am

Anyone who's loving Nexgard, ask your vet about Simparica. It's the same class, cheaper, works faster on ticks, 35 day duration of efficacy.

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/dogs/ ... ction.aspx
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:40 am

Has anyone used or heard anything about Nexgard Spectra? It's an oral med that controls fleas/ticks and heart worms (and a few intestinal worms). Sounds like it would be nice for people that currently use two products. I'm not sure if it's available in the U.S. yet, but I heard it might be soon.
Sooty42
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby WiskeyJaR » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:24 pm

NEXGARD chewables, been using it for a year and 1/2. Only dog med that my dogs willingly eat without a treat, don't have to hide the pill at all. Pill given once a month. Used to pick my share of ticks through out the year. After the first couple months, have not found a tick nor fleas on either of my brush dogs since using NexGard.

No side effects noticed in either 40lb cogi or 27lb Bokin Spaniel.
WiskeyJaR
Started
Started

Postby mtlhdr » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:43 pm

We're on our second month of Simparica. Seems effective, no noticeable side effects. I'd say about 90% of the ticks I found immediately following hunting have been crawling around. I do 3-4 real thorough tick checks with my hands and a flea comb, once immediately following hunting, once when we get home, once before bed, and then once the next day. So far the one tick I found the next day was embedded and dead. BIG improvement over frontline plus.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion