Blue green algae

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Blue green algae

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:59 pm

3 dogs died in Wilmington N.C. and 1 in Georgia from blue green Algae bloom in a pond, Cyanobacteria
It is supposed to be green slime or brown, it is all over the US, starts when the water gets 75 deg , may have a rotten smell.
Can kill a dog in 15 minutes, toxic to all animals .
Not good where I live we are 2' below sea level . Forrest
Last edited by Drahthaar1108 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Blue green algie

Postby mtbirder » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:12 pm

Yup, found lotsa' places and deadly as hell.
Montana's Hebgen Reservoir (for example), at 6500'+ above sea level, a stone's throw outside YNP - it's a fairly common periodic occurrence here.
I generally keep my girls out of any stillwater containing any visible algae in the heat of the summer. Even though most is harmless.
I also have the luxury of cold/cool rivers and tribs at my disposal for the dogs swimming pleasure - and my peace of mind.
Ennis Montana's Bailey B - No pedigree, no prizes. Just 11 years of field excellence
mtbirder
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Blue green algae

Postby ryanr » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:42 am

Seems like a bad year for it, a number of lakes in NJ have had swimming and wading closures much of the summer due to blue-green algae outbreaks. I also know of young pup that reportedly succumbed to it. In my local lake (reservoir) where I run my dogs alot the swimming beach is sometimes closed due to bacteria levels (almost always after a hard rain followed by several hot days) but thankfully we don't seem to have an algae issue.

Our duck search water is a large lake/marsh that was formerly two peat quarries. We have plenty of lily pads and duck weed but no algae. I think it might have something to do with the tannic nature of the water.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby huntinmo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:40 pm

Another report, but it could be anywhere: "CENTERVILLE, Iowa – The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is warning about a potentially toxic blue-green algae bloom at Rathbun Lake in southeast Iowa."
huntinmo
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:25 pm

Pretty scary stuff. Just saw a story about couple who lost 3 dogs within hours of swimming in a pond in NC. Seems like we have more and more reports every summer out here in CA.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:11 pm

A friend's parents dog died yesterday and given the symptoms likely died due to this stuff. It starting having multiple siezures, and never had these symptoms before, then died. Saw what appeared to be blooms of this stuff in my dad's pond last week. Kept his dog away just to be safe.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion