Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: 2022

Postby Willie T » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:06 pm

Beautiful AG. I’m headed north next Friday.
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:27 pm

Willie T wrote:Beautiful AG. I’m headed north next Friday.

Safe Travels, Happy Hunting!
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:29 pm

Dogs had a good day. Got hot on us quick however so had to quit at noon.

Tess got the first drop at dawn. She did some beautiful point and relocate work on a running covey of huns. Got em stopped and pointed, they went up long as I went past her to flush and I grassed one with one shot. I wanted to take a photo of her on point so bad, but felt getting a bird down was more important to reward her work.

Tess recovering the first bird of the trip.

Tess standing to flush on a big bomber sage grouse that looked like a fall turkey poult. She was on point, I spotted the bomber standing tall looking at Tess when I arrived. Not legal game for a non-resident and it flushed before I could get a photo. Little gal is coming along.

Spud with the first chukar of the trip. He had a good run too with Huns and Chukars.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:40 am

That looks like about as much fun as you can have with a bird dog. Thanks for sharing AG. Really have enjoyed following along with Tess’s development.
Willie
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:02 am

Willie T wrote:That looks like about as much fun as you can have with a bird dog. Thanks for sharing AG. Really have enjoyed following along with Tess’s development.
Willie

Thank You, Sir.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:19 am

Dogs and I are taking a much needed day off today.

Yesterday was epic.

I gave Spud the first drop of the day at dawn. He went to work immediately and had worked numerous Sage Grouse, (which are not in season). He had a point on a pair of those big smelly turkey poult sized birds where he was 100 yards downwind of them.

Spud was working out well in the open cover, running in big sweeps keeping a crosswind in his nose as he went, at a speed which enabled him to detect and work scent in the brutally dry/dusty scenting conditions. I never tire of watching it. Genetics and brains are a wonderful thing.

I had just taken this photo of my 550+ transmitter when he went on point on a ridge high above me. (Of course it was above me!). I immediately put the phone away and started the long walk up the steep slope towards him. I saw him cautiously relocate and point numerous times with brains and intensity, keeping track of the running covey of huns or chukars without pressuring them into flight. (it is the skill that most separates Spud from Tess. Spud had the genetics to do this from a baby and has. Tess has been far more prone to boiling over with excitement and ripping birds she can see running away from her points. She has shown marked improvement in that area at the end of last season and the beginning of this one but it has been much more a matter of learning the skill vs genetics with her vs Spud.)

Spud disappeared from my sight in his continued cautious point and relocate pursuit of the running covey as I chugged my way up the steep slope. When I finally topped the summit, I saw him on an intense lower station point about 80 yards out from me, that indicated he had the birds stopped not too far out in front of him.

I took a moment to suck in a couple of gulps of air before proceeding on in to work the point.

A covey of about 15 chukars erupted as I got near to the area Spud's point indicated the birds would be found. The bird that immediately caught my eye unfortunately flew directly into the sun as I mounted my shotgun and began swinging on it to catch up from behind. I desperately wanted to reward this dog work and knew from long experience that switching birds was not the path to success. So I continued swinging through the blinding orb of the low rising sun, found the big adult chukar as it appeared on the far side, continued swinging hard, slapped the trigger and rolled it dead in the air.

It was the farthest I have ever walked to a point and shot a bird.

Later in the day I shot my first triple on chukars. Every bird fell into extremely difficult terrain, with two of them being on steep loose rock that required me to use my telescoping graphite trekking pole to navigate towards. The third fell clear to the impenetrable cover at the bottom (Tess got that one). Recovering them all was a testament to one of the key reasons I have followed behind GWPs for 40 years.

Admiring the last bird of a full limit of chukars.

God's Creation

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:31 am

The good stuff never stops. Keep up the great posts.

We're home from MT. Was pretty much disappointed with the trip for numerous reasons. Never shot a single Pheasant, mostly hunted Sharptails and Huns. Sharptails aren't the best bird for running a young dog that needs birds that will hold for the point. Wild flushes before the dog has the opportunity to get down wind and hit the scent.

The other reason we came home was finding a lump on the kid. My last two Griffs had a lump and eventually developed cancer in other places. We go to the Vet. on the 26th for exam and surgery scheduling. Need to know if she's developed tumors internally before doing the other surgery. If she's clean inside, we'll go ahead with lump extraction. If not............. She won't be able to hunt for at least three weeks after the lump is removed. It will involve shaving the area on top of her shoulder and base of neck. This area is the most protective part of her coat, very harsh/hard. She may not do good in the cold with all the hair missing.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:48 pm

Man Harvey I am sure sorry to read of the situation with your pup. Will pray for the best outcome with that.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:25 pm

Tess had a good day yesterday. She has made excellent progress with her point and relocation pursuits of running huns and chukars. Got three coveys of Huns pointed and made a nice tracking recovery on a cripple yielding a limit of Huns.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:48 am

Thanks for sharing AG. That looks like my kinda fun. A little more work on road trips but with the extra dog power you can run yourself into the ground if you want to.
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:07 pm

No pictures yet but moon and me are up on the prairie with my long time hunting buddy and his shorthair. Moon is about a year old now and I’ve been focusing on handling him. He has looked good in training and I was guardedly optimistic. We hunted upland birds Sunday. Moon got three drops and surprised me. First drop he pointed two single grouse. Both flushed at 60-70 yards and out of range as I approached. Second drop he got a rooster pheasant pointed that I shot for him. Second point was a hen pheasant. Third drop there was a 30 yard wide shelter belt running through the CRP we were hunting. The pup cut up the down wind side of the shelter belt and pointed. As I approached he came off point and slid down the shelter belt 30 or so yards across the wind and pointed again. Before I got there he relocated two more times. When I got there a hen flushed about 25 yards out. Then in a popcorn flush three more hens and two roosters got up. The roosters were 40 and 60 yards. I was able to scratch the 40 yard bird with the twenty guage. That was a lot more than I expected from a first day hunt with a new puppy and I was happy to pay that work. Now the pup had the idea there might be birds in that shelter belt. He held the down wind side and about 250 yards down it he got low and tight. As I approached I could see he was pointing a grove of saplings that would have me cock blocked unless I got extremely lucky. As I walked in the saplings were open underneath and I saw the birds run. Moon saw them run too and lost his composure and the birds broke. It made a heck of a ruckus when they went up through the saplings and the knuckle headed puppy chased them a little over 275 yards across the CRP. When he came back he had the crazy eyes. That was some of what I expected. Looking back on his first day I got a lot more than I expected.
Day two was 32 degrees with a 35 mph wind and sleet. We opted for a duck hunt in a little hole down in a coulee and out of the wind. My hunting partner and I each shot a limit of ducks. In all 8 green wing teal and 4 wigeon. The little monkey didn’t mark particularly well but managed to pick them up. We need to do a lot more marking work.
Today was nice. 38 for a high. Wind about 15-20 from the north west. We hunted upland birds. Moon got six pheasant pointed and the last drop of the day he pinned a covey of Huns. The cover was open enough that I got to see the whole thing. When he got birdy he slowed down and cautiously advanced about 50 yards and pegged them. As I approached him about a dozen Huns flushed about 35 yards out. By the time I got up and on them they were 45 and I was able to roll one for him with the 20 gauge. My hunting buddy was with us and snapped a picture of moons first Hun.
Good times Willie T
F198BCE5-A427-4916-B0A6-AB3DC9834937.jpeg
F198BCE5-A427-4916-B0A6-AB3DC9834937.jpeg (251.48 KiB) Viewed 424 times
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby weimdogman » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:05 am

Delio and I hunting Pheasants.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221026_090417.jpg
Screenshot_20221026_090417.jpg (621.35 KiB) Viewed 104 times
weimdogman
Pup
Pup

Postby orhunter » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:31 am

Moon is a solid pup. Sounds like you have a good load for the 20 along with your killer instinct.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:43 pm

Wonderful report Willie T!
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:29 pm

orhunter wrote:Moon is a solid pup. Sounds like you have a good load for the 20 along with your killer instinct.

Lol. Thank you orhunter. Hope your pup gets a good report at the vet. 20 gauge load is 1 1/4 oz of copper plated and buffered # 5’s. 22 grains of Longshot powder. In a 3” federal hull. The wad I use escapes me right now other than it is Winchester. The load runs around 1230 and patterns well. It is a good load. Hits very similar to a 2 3/4 12 gauge.

Thank you AG. The prairie is a special place to be a bird hunter.

Willie T
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting & Firearms