Cesky Fousek New Zealand

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Cesky Fousek New Zealand

Postby orhunter » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:23 pm

Have made contact with the club and will try to arrange meeting people and seeing dogs. Hope I get some good stuff to report.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Cesky Fousek New Zealand

Postby JTracyII » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:56 pm

Good to hear. It will be good to hear more about the breed. Thanks for your efforts.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:13 pm

Harvey, There is a young fellow living in IA about 1.5 hours from me who has an imported CF. He and his Dad farm and he has access to a lot of good private land and hunts the dog quite a bit on waterfowl, quail, pheasants in IA and sharptails, huns in ND. He is part of the Bohemian .... CF Club and his dog is being used for approved breedings. You ever make it over here I am sure we can arrange a meet and greet and see his dog work.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Meridiandave » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:53 pm

I hope you flyfish while you are down there. I watched some guys hunt peacocks with a CF in New Zealand on a video. It was awesome.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:17 pm

Kent: It was years ago that I was a member and remaind so even after I took another direction. This started when I was new to the modern hunting dog possibilities and was not initially aware of the Griff world outside the club. In theory, the club was the place to be, for the novice. Have hunted with three club dogs but it was many years ago and it would be nice to see what has evolved since then. Two of the three dogs I hunted with were not worth feeding.

MDave: I saw that also a few years ago. Sooty posted a link on a different thread if you want to see it again. The fishing here isn’t all it is said to be. The places are very specific as most the streams I’ve seen are completely sterile. A person can’t just pull over, grab your rod and go catch a few. Any of the good fishing reqires flying in to some remote location. I’ll try and find out what I can when we work our way farther south into more fishy country.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Meridiandave » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:56 am

Yes, there are few fish. It is spot and stalk for large brown trout on the South Island. You may walk 2 miles and see a half a dozen fish, but they are going to be rather large what you see.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:27 pm

Dave: The whole Island is sterile, no bugs. After many kilometers of driving, there is not a single smashed bug on the windshield. No wild flowers but they do produce some honey here.

Was unable to make the dog connection but have been talking to the local guy. He used to live in Oregon, west of Salem.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Just-a-bird-hunter » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:16 pm

Orhunter,
I will probably repeat a lot of known facts to you, but here goes anyway. Jake Overton, the first importer of Fouseks to NZ, was the late Scott Overton's son whose dog's came from both the late Tony Schlee, DVM of Calgary, Alberta and also some dogs from Karel & Melina Stoczech (sp) Moscow, Idaho. My first Fousek, also came from Dr. Schlee, and was a full sibling/half sibling to many of Scott's dogs. The BWHPG (Bohemian Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Club, or one might say, Czech Fousek) club has one of Scott's foundation dog's frozen semen: this dog has a 1/2 sibling to Don of Bohemia-Destinow (a.k.a Bigfoot) who had some bright moments in their tests (and one not so bright as well.) The NZ Fousek club also has frozen semen from Dar (Czech dog) who throws coats like I have never seen of a wirehaired dog before, almost akin to close cropped, stiff wool. Anyway, did you know Scott?
Just-a-bird-hunter
Just-a-bird-hunter
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:27 pm

JABH: Nice to hear from you and thanks for the information. I never knew anyone outside the club who was associated with the CF. The “club” seemed to be very silent about happenings going on outside as I never heard a word about the others. There may not have been any others back at that time? I only started to do a little (very lttle) research long after I dropped my club membership. I was an inactive member after spring of 2005 when I tested my WPG at the Jerome Idaho test. I never had a club dog, I never deserved one back when I had interest in getting one as I wasn’t retired and other stuff. I was aware of a couple of breeders only because they are listed here at V-Dogs. I’ve never seen any CF’s that were not of club origin, only photos that I obtained directly from The Czech Republic. Funny thing, those dog are being presented for the camera by the same fellow who helped Bob Ferris (NAPPA) get four PP pups of Czech origin. Small world. I would welcome the opportunity to see some genuine CF’s at NAVHDA tests as would a lot of folks. Good dogs need this kind of exposure, matters not what they are.

I suppose what had the most influence on me was when reading Craig’s book and learned the German Stichelhaar and the CF could possibly be the same breed from different geological locations, bred to somewhat different standards. The German Stichelaar is in dire straits and in grave danger of going extinct which bothers me a lot. As I mentioned before, if I were a young man with the time, money and the facility, I’d make a serious run at trying to save the Stichelhaar. I’ve now got the money but still don’t have my youth, time or facility and never will. I suppose getting good German stock in the beginning would be an uphill battle and may prove fruitless. The only way around this would be to inject Czech CF genetics at some point. I mentioned this to Jake Overton. Not that he has any interest.

I haven’t seen a club dog since around 2005 or 6. I’d be interested in driving to Idaho to meet the folks and see their dogs. I’ll sort of be in the neighborhood when the Treasure Valley NAVHDA chapter has their spring test in Baker. What would be even better is if they brought their dogs to the test to show them off. Maybe have a pup or two to run in NA?

It sounds like the breed is in good hands in the various locations but needs to be in more hands as pups become available. I wish everyone associated with the CF great success, including the club. Despite my criticism of the club over the years, I’ve never wished them anything but the best. Their enthusiasm cannot be denied.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:44 pm

orhunter wrote:JABH: Nice to hear from you and thanks for the information. I never knew anyone outside the club who was associated with the CF. The “club” seemed to be very silent about happenings going on outside as I never heard a word about the others. There may not have been any others back at that time? I only started to do a little (very lttle) research long after I dropped my club membership. I was an inactive member after spring of 2005 when I tested my WPG at the Jerome Idaho test. I never had a club dog, I never deserved one back when I had interest in getting one as I wasn’t retired and other stuff. I was aware of a couple of breeders only because they are listed here at V-Dogs. I’ve never seen any CF’s that were not of club origin, only photos that I obtained directly from The Czech Republic. Funny thing, those dog are being presented for the camera by the same fellow who helped Bob Ferris (NAPPA) get four PP pups of Czech origin. Small world. I would welcome the opportunity to see some genuine CF’s at NAVHDA tests as would a lot of folks. Good dogs need this kind of exposure, matters not what they are.

I suppose what had the most influence on me was when reading Craig’s book and learned the German Stichelhaar and the CF could possibly be the same breed from different geological locations, bred to somewhat different standards. The German Stichelaar is in dire straits and in grave danger of going extinct which bothers me a lot. As I mentioned before, if I were a young man with the time, money and the facility, I’d make a serious run at trying to save the Stichelhaar. I’ve now got the money but still don’t have my youth, time or facility and never will. I suppose getting good German stock in the beginning would be an uphill battle and may prove fruitless. The only way around this would be to inject Czech CF genetics at some point. I mentioned this to Jake Overton. Not that he has any interest.

I haven’t seen a club dog since around 2005 or 6. I’d be interested in driving to Idaho to meet the folks and see their dogs. I’ll sort of be in the neighborhood when the Treasure Valley NAVHDA chapter has their spring test in Baker. What would be even better is if they brought their dogs to the test to show them off. Maybe have a pup or two to run in NA?

It sounds like the breed is in good hands in the various locations but needs to be in more hands as pups become available. I wish everyone associated with the CF great success, including the club. Despite my criticism of the club over the years, I’ve never wished them anything but the best. Their enthusiasm cannot be denied.

They have an active facebook and instagram profile (all in German but Facebook translates) and it looks like the club is actively breeding and testing dogs that seem to pass muster. Not very many, and what I assume is a small gene pool probably makes things tenuous, but they are there.
JONOV
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Just-a-bird-hunter » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:58 pm

Orhunter,
Well, I have a club dog now. I was a member of the WHPGCNA for a long time, I've never owned a "Club Dog" as I was waiting for them to sort-out their registration difficulties. Now that they have, I own another Fousek, and he is registered with both the Czech Club and NAVDHA. I would very much like to run him in the test this spring, after the BWHP's spring test at the end of March. So you are testing over in Oregon now? I joined the National Organization and I've attended a few NAVDHA test , both Treasure Valley's test and one at the Nine Pipe National Wildlife Refuge outside Ravali (SP?) Anyway, I know Bob Farris although I haven't talked to him for some time. Send me a PM with the details or just point me in the right direction.
Just-a-bird-hunter
Just-a-bird-hunter
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:34 pm

JABH: Treasure Valley NAVHDA tests in both Oregon and Idaho. You’d need to check the chapter test dates and places which probably aren’t listed yet. The Baker, Oregon test is usually first weekend in June, NA only.

I don’t know if BWPGA is still testing in Oregon. I heard Larry Mason was thinking about or already has sold his place where the tests are held. The PNW NAVHDA Chapter tests at the same location. I haven’t been to a test there in years.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby KJ » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:16 am

orhunter,
I don't think we are having the Baker test this year. There was talk about discontinuing it since it has had low numbers the last few years, mostly due to the new chapter in Central Oregon picking up a lot of the folks in that area that used to come our way.

Our annual meeting is next weekend and I will know for sure.
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:13 pm

Thanks KJ, was wondering if that might happen someday? I’ve heard of the new chapter but know zero about it. I don’t mind driving to Idaho but will look into the new chapter.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sooty42 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:20 pm

PNW NAVHDA chapter is holding their spring tests at Mason’s property this year.
Sooty42
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Hunting & Firearms