Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: 2022

Postby orhunter » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:24 am

Willie: The place I’ve been getting the Sharptails a person can’t really see from the road. Ya gotta walk over the hill and there it is. It isn’t very big, doesn’t take long to hunt it. Like a lot of good places, it’s the back side where the birds are. Look like a short stubble field along the road so people just drive by. Got up early today, clear weather, going to get warm fast. Going to look at/for a new spot this morning, hope I can find it from a crappy map. Dog needs a couple hours on the ground even if we don’t find birds.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:20 pm

Man Willie T, rough start to the season! Getting it out of the way early at least.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:26 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Man Willie T, rough start to the season! Getting it out of the way early at least.

Lol. Yeah we hit a few bumps in the road.
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:20 pm

Wife, Dogs and I have been on the Prairie hunting Sharptails. Can't get enough of it.

Last hour of the last day Spud put down an hour long run in 80 heat and got this single pointed. It was beautiful.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:16 pm

Most excellent Kent.....
Last edited by orhunter on Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:19 am

Kent theres something special about sharptails and the prairies they live on. I'm excited to be back after em here in another week.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:57 pm

Beautiful AG!
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:17 am

Opening of phez this morning. I’ll be out roaming around watching others mostly, don’t know if we’ll hunt. The red coat army will be out in force. The kid is still in heat (day 12) so gotta be careful. Don’t want to create a disturbance. I’ll be here so long there’s no need to get excited about the opener. It’ll probably be too warm to hunt fairly early also. The kid gets hot quick, goes through water like flushing a toilet. Shortage of ugly dogs. Mostly Setters, Pointers and those other things, lots of other things. One thing I enjoy is meeting the people from all over the country that come here. The East Coast isn’t too far for lots of them.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:25 pm

Prairie Chicken action from last week.

I find them considerably more difficult to get shot over points, than Sharptails. More prone to flushing wild before you are within range as you approach the dog on point is my experience. Some days they hold well (usually warm/hot afternoons when loafing in grass), but more days they do not.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:21 am

Looks like Tess is making quite the dog AG. Enjoy your pictures, thanks for sharing.
Willie T
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:02 am

Just to cheer everyone up, here’s a rant.

I don’t have a travel trailer/camper so relegated to motels. Lots of neighbors sometimes but it’s not the number of them that matters. It’s those schmucks with Diesel trucks who get up far earlier than many others, go out and start the motor then let it sit there and rattle away for 15 minutes while others are still in bed. You aren’t impressing anyone in a positive manner. If you want to be a jerk, do it somewhere else. By the way, I drive a Diesel.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:56 am

My view from a deer stand last evening.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:04 am

orhunter wrote:Just to cheer everyone up, here’s a rant.

I don’t have a travel trailer/camper so relegated to motels. Lots of neighbors sometimes but it’s not the number of them that matters. It’s those schmucks with Diesel trucks who get up far earlier than many others, go out and start the motor then let it sit there and rattle away for 15 minutes while others are still in bed. You aren’t impressing anyone in a positive manner. If you want to be a jerk, do it somewhere else. By the way, I drive a Diesel.

My consistent challenge is people letting their dogs run loose to air around the motels.

Seems I am the lone guy who has a leash and uses it.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:32 am

Nice chicken Kent, never hunted them, always wanted to. I second the motion of Tess becoming quite the bird producing machine. Been fun watching her.

Kent and Harvey I agree on both counts of dogs running loose at motels and guys letting the diesels run, waking everyone up. I'm an early riser and an early upland hunter but I try to slip out of their pretty quiet.
You have to be smarter than the dog to train it.
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:03 am

My whole crew is rolling way west. Had a license in the first State on our first day of travel yesterday, so gave Tess a drop at a spot I knew held birds and then Spud got a short run prospecting in new territory. The trend currently is Tess gets what I perceive to be the better opportunities as she is not yet where Spud is.

Little gal had a good run yesterday afternoon in the 75 degree heat. Multiple finds, points on Prairie Chickens and Pheasants. The Prairie Chickens were in season and a couple of them held well enough to get them grassed. The second one held as good as any Prairie Chicken I have ever had pointed and shot. Cover was naked. I was fearing the possibility of a snake. What a gift it was to see that young male chicken rise up out of the little clump. Amazing how their coloration makes them invisible on the ground.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting & Firearms