Preparations

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Preparations

Postby Willie T » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:35 pm

The first hunting season of the year in Texas is dove. Less than four weeks away now. Cricket and I have worked on expanding some retriever stuf through the summer heat. A lot of it in the water. During the heat of summer cricket’s weight was up from a hunting shape of 55-57 to 62 pounds. I was up from a fit 195 to a soft 205. We have been running though. Cricket is Down to 59 and I am down to 197. Running cricket on the asphalt some is toughening up his pads. I have been hitting the skeet range since the close of spring turkey. I’ve been loading and shooting 100-200 targets/week, all low gun. Hopefully I can convert on a few of crickets points for him. Last weekend cricket and I made the 3 1/2 hour drive to Weatherford Texas to put cricket through a snake avoidance clinic. This was the second consecutive year for the de-snaking. Copperheads, Cottonmouths, and Rattlesnakes. Cricket made good decisions avoiding all the snakes this year. Sight, sound, and scent are all presented to the dog. From the start I was pleased. Cricket had retained last years lessons. It’s not absolute but combined with the vaccine it is an insurance policy of sorts.
Roughly 4 long weeks left but we are gearing up.

So what have y’all been doing to get ready?
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Preparations

Postby Dmog » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:58 pm

Oh hell, I thought Dove hunting was sitting around drinking beer. That’s what I’ve been practicing in this heat...
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Dmog » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:56 am

After trying to be funny and sleeping it off(the cold medicine), my preparations involve getting ready for Dove season by shooting some trap and buying some shells while on sale. Mainly, I have been eyeing upcoming early season Teal mid Sept and getting the decoys out in the pool to wash off(wife hates when I do this but the dogs love it) and begin to repair and touch up where needed. In process of wiring in a remote switch on the Teal Mojo. Looks pretty straight forward. Have the young dog working on steadiness in the blind/or spot. OP has motivated me to start my work out program back up after I kick this damn cold that been dragging me down for a week. Need to get my stamina and the dog's back up for Prairie Chickens opener mid-Sept. I then rely on that to improve and maintain right into main waterfowl season and upland season. I will also start blowing on the duck call a little bit!
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Willie T » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:10 am

Haha. Yeah dove season is not very taxing. I will turn 59 in November. While the dog will round into shape for upland rather quickly, as I age it takes increasingly more for me to be in good enough shape to truly enjoy myself in the uplands. FWIW summertime beer drinking in the shade, in part, is what I’m paying for now.
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:35 pm

My entire lifestyle depends on me staying in decent shape.

I ride that stationary bike 40 minutes 5 days a week, use those dumbbells 3 times a week, there are 10lb leg weights in that basket and I do a series 7 different leg exercises with them 5 days a week, there is a rubber tube in the basket which I use to work my shoulders out 3 times a week. Those elk antlers give me motivation.

Spud and I are heading to Nevada to try our luck with Chukars in October. First for both of us and I use it to motivate me to workout when I would rather not. I built a frame for the front of my Ranger and need to get to roading Spud up the gravel road to toughen up his feet. He is otherwise ready.

I do not shoot my shotgun very often, but I shoot my bow alot. Seems our Martin colony just below the house has just left so we will set my Champion 3/4 cock sit down thrower in the front yard and I will shoot a few boxes with my 28 and 12 before dove season and call it good.

I do alot of exercise and training with Spud on just about a daily basis and it provides us both a good deal of exercise. Have been focusing on Retriever stuff this summer and that includes carrying my wingers around, and walking into remote ponds to get varied work. Loaded my kayak and drug it to my pond yesterday, set out decoys and then paddled around picking them up after giving Spud a few reps swimming through them. He had not seen a decoy in the water since Feb and I did not want to flunk a hunt test over something stupid and so made sure he paid them no mind and he didn't. It all adds up to more exercise.

This morning we walked into a remote pond and I ran a simple water cold blind. Spud hunted the whole way and found some rabbits to point. It keeps him in shape year round as I think can be seen in this photo where you can see his back ribs.

And the Farm Work never ends. Have been loading up wattles in the Ranger, hauling them out to the CRP fields and staking them down with 2 foot oak stakes swinging a 9 lb hammer. Trying to arrest some erosion ditches. Constantly loading and unloading a 60 gallon sprayer into the Ranger, hooking up and unhooking drivelines to PTOs on the tractors, cutting brush and fallen trees, loading and unloading seed ... So that too provides some exercise of a different sort.

I have to stay at it all summer so Spud and I can make the rounds this fall/winter. I gave up drinking beer a long time ago but my truck pulls into Casey's for a slice of breakfast pizza and a blueberry cake donut on fairly regular basis through the hunting season. The weight goes on far easier than it comes off these days.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:36 pm

Have been working Gus regular when I am home,(every 14 days ) getting him ready for the VGP in October. He is rock solid in great shape, me, I am getting old but still hunt every day I am home, bow hunting pigs after deer season until deer season starts again, ready for dove, teal and resident goose in SEPT. @ 63 still going but not as fast as I once was. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:02 pm

Spuds in shape but his feet are not ready for Chukars in the lava rock so we are roading on the gravel with that in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JStc1Xb5uHA
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:05 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Spuds in shape but his feet are not ready for Chukars in the lava rock so we are roading on the gravel with that in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JStc1Xb5uHA

Brought the sit down thrower to the front yard yesterday afternoon and had the Wife run it while I walked around and worked the angles with my Legacy 28. Gettin excited. September 1st starts off another cycle. Hope everyone has a Great and Safe Season.

Got wind of a Rattlesnake Avoidance class in SD so Spud and I are headed there this weekend for short run on the prairie, a rude ecollar exercise and then back home. Sorry Spud, but better Safe than Sorry.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms