First training day at NAVHDA

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Tests

Moderator: Moderator Pack

First training day at NAVHDA

Postby ForTheBirds84 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:40 am

So the puppy and I attended our first NAVHDA training day. It was great to get out and see a group of like minded dog owners. It was a relief to say pudelpointer and not get funny looks. and not one person asked where I got my chocolate labradoodle :lol:

The field training was good. I could tell Bodo (pups name) was extremely amped up to go. We have trained at the training grounds used and he usually so he knew what was going down and he loves it! But the training chukar we were using were not really cooperating and seemed to be on some sort of strike. :) They just wouldn't fly!

The club has 4 members training for the invitational. I met up and hung out with them during the water portion. I just wanted to see them train and see what that level looked like. I really was just trying to observe and stay outta the way, but before I knew it I was launching dummies and throwing bumpers. They were a great bunch of people. During one portion they were working on honoring another dog's retrieve, at that point all the other dog and trainers had gone to a different pond to work on duck search so they were needing to find a dog that could do the retrieve part. So I said, "well what's he need to be able to do" after they explained it I said I think we got this. So out comes the 5 month old pup. They said they needed a dog that will really test their dogs patience...well Bodo was happy to do that and happy to be involved. It felt like watching a 3rd grader play catch with a pro ball player.

I couldn't be happier to have found this group. Even as they are training for such a high level test they saw a bigger picture than I was able to and welcomed me into all of it. The biggest take away I have from all of it is... The dog has all the tools. Obedience is for both of up to learn how to use those tools together. I know I've read it a hundred times...but really I just need to keep working on the basic obedience foundation. Seeing it in person makes it all click in my own head.
ForTheBirds84
Started
Started

Re: First training day at NAVHDA

Postby ryanr » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:58 pm

Good for you, glad you and your dog enjoyed it. Jumping in and getting involved (even if it's just planting birds, carrying equipment, etc) is the bet way to learn. I think those are the types of handlers that get the most out of their dogs. Show your willingness to help out and learn and you may even score an invite to train with others on non-chapter training days.)

Best advice for training days is to always come with a plan in mind. Remember, it is your dog, you are training it and everybody else is there to help YOU train your dog (and vice versa. Always good to understand that the chapter training director or committee is not there to train your dog for you.) It sounds like you are aware of this, you'll do well.

Your pup is 5 months old? Unless it's steady at least to flush (and I'm guess it's not as a young pup nor should it be expected to) I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND NOT USING chukars or quail, either planted or in launchers. Stick to strong flying pigeons or don't use any birds at all at this stage. You just want to avoid a young dog catching birds as it will likely make the later process of steadiness more difficult.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForTheBirds84 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Thanks for the response. Yes my pup is 5 months. I am going to avoid Chukar for a while now. I have gone out training and used them a few times to establish point and introduce gun fire but, I am seeing now that he has good pointing intuition so the chukar aren't needed. He hasn't caught one yet, but his point is always less intense on the second bird.
So, obedience work it will be for me and the pup for a while. I know I have read, don't rush it, take our time and all of that a bunch. The day really showed me what all stages of the process look like, and it doesn't all come together in a weekend!
ForTheBirds84
Started
Started

Postby ForTheBirds84 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Thanks for the response. Yes my pup is 5 months. I am going to avoid Chukar for a while now. I have gone out training and used them a few times to establish point and introduce gun fire but, I am seeing now that he has good pointing intuition so the chukar aren't needed. He hasn't caught one yet, but his point is always less intense on the second bird.
So, obedience work it will be for me and the pup for a while. I know I have read, don't rush it, take our time and all of that a bunch. The day really showed me what all stages of the process look like, and it doesn't all come together in a weekend!
ForTheBirds84
Started
Started

Return to NAVHDA