Steering your dog without hand signals

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Steering your dog without hand signals

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:37 am

Hoping you vdoggers will enjoy the dog work! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMJv8NMd0Z8
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Steering your dog without hand signals

Postby orhunter » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:02 pm

Great job Bruce. Like the use of paper plates. Gives the dog visual command (a target) to back up the audio command. Gives the dog confidence in knowing it is doing (has done) the right thing. Cool. Like your back yard.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:07 pm

I'd have never thought of the paper plates and treats for teaching the signals. Innovative and great job. I really enjoyed watching that. First time I've ever seen a hunting dog and not a herding dog perform like that.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:25 pm

Thank you so much for producing and sharing this Bruce. Nice Job! Very impressive.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:12 pm

Bruce, I really enjoyed that. I grew up with border collies we worked cattle with that were trained much the same. The best trainers are free thinking and intuitive enough to train their dogs the way that suits what they do and how they do it best. They don't get caught up in following the crowd. That's what I see you doing and I like it.
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:34 pm

thanks you guys... it means a lot!
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:05 am

Very nice Bruce and Gypsy. That was impressive.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:26 pm

Very informative,,,,really enjoyed that! What's about the earliest you would start this type of training with a dog (on average, since all dogs learn at different rates)? Using the paper plates (actually used small dog dishes) is how I trained my griff hand signals but I did it in the house using part of her morning meal kibble for treats (reinforcement). My pup is highly food motivated so she caught on quickly. I still do it in the house a couple times a week just to keep her mentally stimulated. It's part of a 2-3 minute drill where I'll go through all of her commands in rapid fire. I imagine I could do the same thing the house with her dog dishes with the whistle if I want to give this a go.

Once again, well done!
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:35 pm

Thanks MC! I started a few years ago with a really old dog - dropping a piece of kibble on the floor to one side of her or the other (in heel position and short lead) and chirping a left or right hand command. It doesn't matter what kind of whistle but a left hand and right hand turn need to be distinct. It also doesn't take long for the dog to get what's going on, and they really get into it. The paper plates sort of arose out of the need to have the kibble distinguishable from the gravel or other yard surface. And they're nice because there's no mess and you can spread them out or tighten them up. Dishes as you've used work too and would be better in the wind.

The old dog got deaf and so I was stuck for a couple of years. The big problem in teaching this to Gypsy was to shift to getting her to go away from me to the plates (or dummies). I tried hiding the plates around the corner of the house and running along side her and chirp just as we rounded the corner. When I finally got the steps figured out she was over a year or so old so I don't know how young the dog has to be to get it. I do think that there is a learning curve and maturity probably enters into it but I don't know how much. I'll be getting a new pup in a few months so maybe we can connect up when I see how it does.

Then there's the dog breed. I'm pretty sure a Labrador would figure this all out in short order and be like a rocket ship; PP maybe not so much. I'm sort of hoping that the retriever guys will see that this really does offer them something fun to train, and maybe even see that it has application for hunt tests. I used it at a Seasoned level (senior) HRC with Gypsy last summer and I was ecstatic at how she just swam without stopping and got to the blind in short order but the judges had never seen anything like it and I got DC'd because it wasn't the straight line they wanted - plus she "refused" to stop on the whistle.

My motive is to just put it out there so if it resonates with anybody then that would be great. Maybe in 10 - 20 years or so it will be the way to go?
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:12 pm

Bruce,
That's good stuff! Really good!
Does make one think a bit. But I like it!! (The idea of it. The actual thinking part just hurts!! :) )
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion