Shallow Depth of Field

Got a story to tell and photo to prove it? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Shallow Depth of Field

Postby Dmog » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:27 pm

My wife took this and told me it was “Shallow Depth of Field”
Attachments
696449A1-8614-4C42-AFA9-372E5BEE238B.jpeg
You never have to tell a dog what time to be home, give them the keys, and they never ask for money.
Dmog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Shallow Depth of Field

Postby slistoe » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:25 am

Shallow, but not too shallow.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Shallow Depth of Field

Postby ANick » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:10 pm

I'd call it a fine shot! But, if you're looking for tips.. some stuff to think on. ..

Depth of field is great stuff to play with. It's just a matter of what story you want the photo to tell.

If you are wanting the focus to be on the dog in the foreground, this is excellent. It still works if you were sending the photo out to friends, "Our old dog got a new buddy this year! Meet Noob!!", it's still working. The older pup is recognizable but Noob is in the spotlight of both the message and the photo.

It is however, a 'miss', if you wanted to give both dogs equal billing, so to speak! :)

As a rule of thumb for portraits, focus on the nearest eye. If you are shooting at f8 or higher it is less of a concern, thanks to the greater depth of (focus) field. When you go toward f2.8 the zone that is in focus is shorter and missing the sweet spot isn't hard to do. The viewer's eye will automatically track to the more focused area of the picture. Also in the 'fiddly bits' section, if you want the sharpest photo, look more toward f8. It is a thing with most zooms, if not all lenses (?) that they tend to be sharper in that realm.

All that said, if you have a picture that tells a story or records a moment, being off a bit may not mean a thing. Or, can sometimes be pretty neat as is. The attached is a good example. I missed with the focus a bit, but, even so or possibly because of it, the shot still works, for me at least.

Take lots of photos, try different stuff, but get the photos while you can. Time flies.

Crop_tester_1.jpg
Dot training day
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Your Photos