Iowa pheasant season

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Iowa pheasant season

Postby Stretch » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:52 pm

Only 5 days before opening weekend. Took the kid hunting this past weekend for youth and but up 11 roosters and 4 big covey of quail in an hour and half. He missed everyone but it was a good scouting trip for me. Anyone else planning to hunt in Iowa this weekend? I think the numbers are up.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Iowa pheasant season

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:41 pm

Stretch, I hunt IA, but all public so no weekends or opening days for me. Will go during the week. Sounds like you are primed for a great opener.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:03 pm

Never hunted Iowa , but would love too, is the public land good upland hunting ? Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:14 pm

SD, ND, KS are all better with a lot more public lands and more birds on them. IA is close for me and that is why I hunt it. IA used to be so much better. The lack of grass cover is both alarming and sad.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:19 pm

Ag, Thank you, loss of habitat at home (N.C) is a big problem too, the farmers keep all the ditch banks mowed clean, hedges & windrows are gone, then fire ants showed up in 94. the bird hunting went from the best you could ask for to almost nothing.Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:06 am

Fire ants get a bad rap, and may be a small factor in the decline, but it's the loss of habitat that has primarily reduced quail populations.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Stretch » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:30 pm

Nobody really hunts birds around me. Even the public land doesn’t get hit hard.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:01 pm

Stretch , Thank you. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:10 pm

Stretch wrote:Only 5 days before opening weekend. Took the kid hunting this past weekend for youth and but up 11 roosters and 4 big covey of quail in an hour and half. He missed everyone but it was a good scouting trip for me. Anyone else planning to hunt in Iowa this weekend? I think the numbers are up.

I was planning to hunt, but broke my ankle yesterday. Best of luck and looking forward to seeing the reports! I will hopefully be able to hobble around in the field with a boot on in a month.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby BigBoy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:55 pm

Nis man that is depressing! I will be hunting the opener and am really excited. Have a new Vizsla showing great promise my son has a 6 month old GSP that looks like he is gonna be really good. Have been putting up quite a few birds on public land. For those asking a hunting here there are birds but public land is a real challenge more in NC and NW part of state. Once saw a stat that Iowa only beat Rhode Island in public land 49 out of 50.
BigBoy
Pup
Pup

Postby ryanr » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:00 pm

Ouch, sorry to hear MissK.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:59 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Stretch wrote:Only 5 days before opening weekend. Took the kid hunting this past weekend for youth and but up 11 roosters and 4 big covey of quail in an hour and half. He missed everyone but it was a good scouting trip for me. Anyone else planning to hunt in Iowa this weekend? I think the numbers are up.

I was planning to hunt, but broke my ankle yesterday. Best of luck and looking forward to seeing the reports! I will hopefully be able to hobble around in the field with a boot on in a month.

Can you get a doctor's note to hunt from a 4 Wheeler? I'd be so bummed!
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:41 pm

JONOV wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:

Can you get a doctor's note to hunt from a 4 Wheeler? I'd be so bummed!

I was told I could try it, but the vibration would likely be extremely painful until callus formation starts.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:33 pm

MissK,
Come on. Give the ankle what it needs. If you were giving advice to the owner of a pup with a similar break, you'd have the pup on the 'ever improbable', activity diet of, "No jumping, no running, no horse-play, no.. well, really no nothing for XX weeks.", eh? (Any time I've heard that from a vet, I'm amazed they can say that with a straight face!)
If you promise not to chew on the cast or lick it too much, we won't insist on the Cone of Shame.. :)

Take care of that thing.
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Stretch » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:21 pm

Well it was hot and the roosters where running and not holding worth a damn but we got our limit. I will post some pics maybe tomorrow.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to Hunting & Firearms