Traveling With Dog

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Traveling With Dog

Postby JONOV » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:50 am

orhunter wrote:Some states require vaccination documentation when coming in from another state. Do they really check? Who is in charge of enforcement in MT and ND. I'm picking up a dog from KJ next week and he's scrambling around trying to get stuff in order but I wonder if it's really necessary? I've been going to the Dakotas since the mid 90's and have never seen a Fish and Wildlife officer. I used to take some paperwork but quit doing it as it seemed like a waste of time....and paper.

I've seen a LOT of Fish and Wildlife Officers in ND, both Federal and State. Most were very decent, one seemed bent on finding a violation to the point of examining the freezer and gut bucket, but never, ever heard of anyone that said a word about a dog.

All that being said, I've lately kept a digital copy of their records that I can access on my phone, mostly because other corners of the Dog Universe require them and I never know when I'll need them handy.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:21 pm

JONOV; They do check freezers for bird counts at some motels. Bird bags do need the name of the hunter on them. I guess we can use as many names as we need?... or as many freezers.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:27 pm

orhunter wrote:JONOV; They do check freezers for bird counts at some motels. Bird bags do need the name of the hunter on them. I guess we can use as many names as we need?... or as many freezers.

Are you suggesting that hunters circumvent tagging and possession regulations? The tags have to be signed, and have the hunter's name, address, total number of birds by species, and date taken on them. In this age of electronic information, it isn't difficult for law enforcement to quickly check to see if the name and address are valid, and whether or not the named individual has a hunting license.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:19 am

flitecontrol wrote:
orhunter wrote:JONOV; They do check freezers for bird counts at some motels. Bird bags do need the name of the hunter on them. I guess we can use as many names as we need?... or as many freezers.

Are you suggesting that hunters circumvent tagging and possession regulations? The tags have to be signed, and have the hunter's name, address, total number of birds by species, and date taken on them. In this age of electronic information, it isn't difficult for law enforcement to quickly check to see if the name and address are valid, and whether or not the named individual has a hunting license.

I just took it as a cautionary to make sure you follow the law for possession limits and labeling/storing. It wouldn't be that unusual for a group of five guys to come in three trucks and shoot a limit and for one or two guys to take the limit back or put it in his/her freezer. Most people are concnerned about being legal while hunting, and don't think about the rules for when you leave the field. Its just human nature.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:13 am

I've never shot more than I should but if someone were staying longer than what it takes to shoot a possession limit, has to be aware. Greg Moyer who posts on here occasionally hunts two states on the same day. Birds can add up quickly. It wouldn't be unheard of to hunt three states in the same day.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:27 pm

JONOV wrote:
flitecontrol wrote:

I just took it as a cautionary to make sure you follow the law for possession limits and labeling/storing. It wouldn't be that unusual for a group of five guys to come in three trucks and shoot a limit and for one or two guys to take the limit back or put it in his/her freezer. Most people are concnerned about being legal while hunting, and don't think about the rules for when you leave the field. Its just human nature.

This happened to me last year. 3 guys, two trucks. Birds ended up in my truck, and we left the field together. Other truck left a dog remote in the field and turned back. 30 miles later there was a mandatory game check. The GFP was less than thrilled with my story, and with having to wait 10 minutes for those guys to catch up. I had 4 hen mallards and 3 redheads, on top of a few other birds, so I would have been screwed.

That will NEVER happen again. Scared the bejeezus outta me.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:46 am

jlw034 wrote:
This happened to me last year. 3 guys, two trucks. Birds ended up in my truck, and we left the field together. Other truck left a dog remote in the field and turned back. 30 miles later there was a mandatory game check. The GFP was less than thrilled with my story, and with having to wait 10 minutes for those guys to catch up. I had 4 hen mallards and 3 redheads, on top of a few other birds, so I would have been screwed.

That will NEVER happen again. Scared the bejeezus outta me.

I've also seen an argument about the sex of a duck first weekend of the season. We looked at the bill, and knew it was a drake. At the game stop they were stuck on stupid or missed that day of warden school. They were so convinced they were right they had the ticket wrote out and everything until the boss came down and looked at it (for all of 2 seconds) and said, "Drake mallard, look at the bill."
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:16 pm

We used to have to go through a check station if we shot geese so they could be identified for species. The Dusky Canada is protected (sort of) and if too many were shot, they’d shut the season down. The problem was, they couldn’t tell a Lesser Canada from a Dusky if the Lesser had a dark breast. They held to the notion there were no Lessers on the west side of the Cascades which wasn’t correct. A lot of us just quit going through the check stations to keep the season open.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:11 am

Unfortunately, migratory bird regulations and species identification sometimes don't get comprehensive coverage, or the trainees don't absorb it, in many state warden academies. I sign my duck stamp in as small a lettering as possible on the stamp's margin. These will be my son's one day, and I don't want to deface them more than the law requires. One day, I was met by a group of local wardens at the boat ramp after a hunt. One told me I needed to make my signature larger and write it "on the face of the stamp". I pointed out that the face of the stamp meant the front, and my signature was on the front. Nowhere does it specify how large the signature must be. He grumbled about it, but let me pass on that. At the end of the discussion, he told me I needed to peel the stamp off and place it on my license. I told him there was no federal requirement to attach a duck stamp to a state license and I wasn't going to do it. I also pointed out that a duck stamp was good anywhere in the U.S. If I attached it to my Louisiana license, what was I supposed to do when hunting in other states? He wasn't sure how to answer that but insisted that Louisiana regulations required it. We had an animated discussion that lasted several minutes. Eventually his sergeant come over and told me the same thing. Knowing they were wrong, I asked the sergeant for the legal citation of the state regulation they said existed so I could look it up when I got home. They "let me by" on attaching the stamp that day. When I got home, I looked up the regulations and couldn't find anything that required me to attach the stamp to my license.

My son is friends with a warden who teaches migratory bird regulations at the academy. When my son told him about my experience, he shook his head and said "I taught them better than that."
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:51 am

flitecontrol wrote:Unfortunately, migratory bird regulations and species identification sometimes don't get comprehensive coverage, or the trainees don't absorb it, in many state warden academies. I sign my duck stamp in as small a lettering as possible on the stamp's margin. These will be my son's one day, and I don't want to deface them more than the law requires. One day, I was met by a group of local wardens at the boat ramp after a hunt. One told me I needed to make my signature larger and write it "on the face of the stamp". I pointed out that the face of the stamp meant the front, and my signature was on the front. Nowhere does it specify how large the signature must be. He grumbled about it, but let me pass on that. At the end of the discussion, he told me I needed to peel the stamp off and place it on my license. I told him there was no federal requirement to attach a duck stamp to a state license and I wasn't going to do it. I also pointed out that a duck stamp was good anywhere in the U.S. If I attached it to my Louisiana license, what was I supposed to do when hunting in other states? He wasn't sure how to answer that but insisted that Louisiana regulations required it. We had an animated discussion that lasted several minutes. Eventually his sergeant come over and told me the same thing. Knowing they were wrong, I asked the sergeant for the legal citation of the state regulation they said existed so I could look it up when I got home. They "let me by" on attaching the stamp that day. When I got home, I looked up the regulations and couldn't find anything that required me to attach the stamp to my license.

My son is friends with a warden who teaches migratory bird regulations at the academy. When my son told him about my experience, he shook his head and said "I taught them better than that."

Sometimes they're simply misinformed, but that example is what I'd call a Power Trip.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:27 pm

It's all kind of a test of your knowledge of the law. Intentional or not. If they could have gotten you to agree you broke the law, they would have cited you, knowing you would pay the fine. Never admit anything.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:31 pm

orhunter wrote:It's all kind of a test of your knowledge of the law. Intentional or not. If they could have gotten you to agree you broke the law, they would have cited you, knowing you would pay the fine. Never admit anything.

Unfortunately, that's true. Many years ago, before there were training academies, some Mississippi state students went duck hunting during the regular season. Among their mixed bag were several teal. The two wardens that checked them told them teal could only be taken during teal season, wrote them a ticket, and the young men promptly paid their fine before more knowledgeable officers could set it straight.
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:09 pm

Flitecontrol: Yea, the teal only season is about the other species being out of season. During the regular season, everything is legal unless the regulations specifically say they aren't.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion