FOR JERE

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

FOR JERE

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:58 am

Or anyone else that knows the answer. On another board, this old adage was posted: "Another thing to take into account is the old saw, an animal may out-perform it's pedigree, but can never out-produce it."

Jere, you know more about this than anyone else I know. If this is true, how are bloodlines ever improved? To me, it makes no sense but I'm neither a breeder nor a geneticist.
Last edited by GONEHUNTIN' on Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
User avatar
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1255
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:39 pm

Re: FORE JERE

Postby orhunter » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:05 am

Blood lines are improved by bringing up the average (or worse) dog. Improvement come at the bottom.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 7623
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:29 am
Location: nw oregon

Re: FORE JERE

Postby hicntry » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:32 am

It isn't true for starters. That in itself makes it hard to explain GH.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 3707
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:22 pm
Location: North Fork, CA

Re: FORE JERE

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:34 am

hicntry wrote:It isn't true for starters. That in itself makes it hard to explain GH.
t

That was my argument, but I'm a trainer, not a breeder. I don't see how a breed is ever improved it that statement is true. I didn't think of asking you. You explain things in terms I can understand.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
User avatar
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1255
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:39 pm

Re: FORE JERE

Postby hicntry » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:46 am

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:
hicntry wrote:It isn't true for starters. That in itself makes it hard to explain GH.
t

That was my argument, but I'm a trainer, not a breeder. I don't see how a breed is ever improved it that statement is true. I didn't think of asking you. You explain things in terms I can understand.


Yes, a breed can be improved. Look at it this way, there a lot of really good dogs that come from mediocre breedings.That tells you that even a mediocre breeding has the genetics to build on. You take two of these dogs that came from mediocre breedings and work on them to build a line of prepotent dogs by close linebreeding. Let's face it, those dogs with great pedigrees were just average dogs until someone took the time to make them great.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 3707
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:22 pm
Location: North Fork, CA

Re: FORE JERE

Postby crackerd » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:25 am

GH, I am pretty sure the Professor is hard and fast at work in his secret igloo-boratory up there working out the test-tube development of an uber-chihuahua lead dog for next year's Iditarod. The template he's working with cannot be divulged at this time, canine intellectual "creative" property, what-what, but you may extrapolate from this https://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/12/science/12dog.html at least a hint of how he's going about it.

MG
User avatar
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 702
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:10 pm

Re: FORE JERE

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:41 am

That's some pretty far out stuff there Crackered, thanks. I posted that link on Duck Hunting Chat and said you gave it to me. You might want to get involved in that discussion with Dawn. Rather, I might want you to. :D
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
User avatar
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1255
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:39 pm

Re: FORE JERE

Postby crackerd » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:23 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:That's some pretty far out stuff there Crackered, thanks. I posted that link on Duck Hunting Chat and said you gave it to me. You might want to get involved in that discussion with Dawn. Rather, I might want you to. :D


You're scaring me now, GH - thinking Dawn and Rick Hall may be conspiring over there to build a Bully Boykin, and looking further back into the Boykin's pedigree for foundation DNA (and maybe CGH - canine growth hormone!).

MG
User avatar
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 702
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:10 pm

Re: FORE JERE

Postby JTracyII » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:04 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:Or anyone else that knows the answer. On another board, this old adage was posted: "Another thing to take into account is the old saw, an animal may out-perform it's pedigree, but can never out-produce it."

Jere, you know more about this than anyone else I know. If this is true, how are bloodlines ever improved? To me, it makes no sense but I'm neither a breeder nor a geneticist.



So, most here seem to feel that this statement is false. I wonder though if you traded the later part of the statement out for "but generally won't out-produce it" if others could get behind that a little more.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1744
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: FOR JERE

Postby AlaskaMagnum » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:58 pm

Jere is building a cabin out in the bush, and probably hunting some spruce grouse and ptarmigan.
AlaskaMagnum
Seasoned
Seasoned
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:56 pm


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests