What does your 8 week to 12 week training look like?

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: What does your 8 week to 12 week training look like?

Postby JONOV » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:17 am

Potty training and teaching them that its a big wonderful world that revolves around me.

My wife mickey-moused with sit, down, roll over, etc...

Of course, recall to their name is important too.

But let the puppy be a puppy. Its a baby. Let it pounce on grasshoppers and point butterflies. Let it point blue jays, etc...

And most importantly, one should neither get aroused at the sight of a wing-on-a-string point, nor feel inferior based on whatever yokel breeder is showing youtube videos of wing-on-a-string points.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:35 am

JONOV wrote:And most importantly, one should neither get aroused at the sight of a wing-on-a-string point, nor feel inferior based on whatever yokel breeder is showing youtube videos of wing-on-a-string points.

Amen to that. When I went to pick up my seven week old DD puppy, the breeder got out the wing-on-a-string and the pup pointed. Big deal - when he got older, I discovered he could smell a live bird a long way off, but he never pointed one!
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AlaskaMagnum » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:48 pm

Dmog wrote:I too am starting to be trained my a new pup. 10 weeks and we did vet shots, car rides, water exposure, 22 blanks out in the field, running with the older dog, now starting to taker her out on her own(noticed that she just wants to play with other dog), crate training, "No", housebreaking, dragging a leash, anchored with a lease, did I say "No", bonding and being spoiled, searching for food in the grass, waving a pigeon in front of her and letting it fly and her chase once she showed she was not intimidated by it, 22 blanks when she is chasing, swimming again, "No". Exposure to dogs, kids, adults, car rides. Here. Once she shows more interest in the field and grows a bit we will search for wild birds. Starting to work on retrieves, dont know what I am missing but I am sure she will give me clues when we are ready to move to the next stage which is at least a few weeks down the road.

If you follow any of Michael Ellis methods ( he's generally considered the top trainer in the U.S.) he would tell you to pay off the "NO" and instead redirect to a positive and reward. He believes at this age "NO" should be a rare statement.
AlaskaMagnum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Stretch » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:15 pm

389E945C-0D5D-41BA-A1A4-9731552B9094.jpeg
389E945C-0D5D-41BA-A1A4-9731552B9094.jpeg (25.83 KiB) Viewed 211 times
I would highly suggest this book. My dog is a year old tomorrow and this is the method I followed. He is the first bird I’ve had and he turning into a pretty good dog. I was shooting wild birds over him before he was four months old. Also Ben O William is Brittany man himself.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Buck Dancer » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:20 pm

A little late on the reply. Teaching some basic commands is no problem at that age and you set the table for enforcing commands at a later age. The key is how you teach the commands.

An older dog, you can use pressure to enforce compliance. A younger dog, only use positive reinforcement.

For example. "Sit!" he sits - you praise like he just solved a rubik's cube. It is amazing how well that works.

At this age, "Sit!" with a swap in the behind or a hard yank up on the leash to get the dog to sit will cause the little guy to not be happy with you and not like learning.

Bonus tip: I also use a special praise word. About once or twice a week (Don't overuse the word) only if he does something special I say "Good Job Monkey!" and pet and tickle him and tell him how great of a dog he is. The word Monkey then becomes his absolute favorite word and he knows he made me very happy and would rather be called "Monkey" then get a treat. Just another tool in the toolbox.

One exception when negative reinforcement works is if you catch the puppy in the act of peeing on your floor during housebreaking - then you holler at him sharply letting him know you are not happy at all. The key is you have to catch him which is pretty difficult as a puddle will magically appear the minute you take your eye off. :(
Buck Dancer
Pup
Pup

Previous

Return to Training