My favorite time of year...

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: My favorite time of year...

Postby orhunter » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:39 am

Willie: I have some new acquaintances with a young Griff that have invited me to hunt with them this winter. I don't know where/what they hunt but just going along for the hike would be fun. Their dog is "interesting." Don't know the pedigree but it's a real clown. Know it needs more hunting than it gets. Probably never see how good it could have been? I don't know how another dog will fit our lives right now? Wife retired, she wants to travel, I like fishing too. When having a dog, a person needs to be dedicated to the dog and that is very restrictive...but I sure think about it a lot. I know my wife misses not having one around. If I had someone nearby who would take the dog when we're away, I'd have a new pup next spring. I should look into that? We've been through a period of low bird numbers for several years which is no time to be getting a dog anyhow. Can't have a bird dog without birds. It appears things are getting back on track so maybe?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:16 pm

orhunter wrote:Willie: I have some new acquaintances with a young Griff that have invited me to hunt with them this winter. I don't know where/what they hunt but just going along for the hike would be fun. Their dog is "interesting." Don't know the pedigree but it's a real clown. Know it needs more hunting than it gets. Probably never see how good it could have been? I don't know how another dog will fit our lives right now? Wife retired, she wants to travel, I like fishing too. When having a dog, a person needs to be dedicated to the dog and that is very restrictive...but I sure think about it a lot. I know my wife misses not having one around. If I had someone nearby who would take the dog when we're away, I'd have a new pup next spring. I should look into that? We've been through a period of low bird numbers for several years which is no time to be getting a dog anyhow. Can't have a bird dog without birds. It appears things are getting back on track so maybe?

Sorry to hear that Harvey, but yeah I mean you could always find a neighbor with kids looking to make a few bucks to watch the dog when you are away. Numbers are climbing back up... something to think about for sure. Harvey, if you every want to come with me and Rowdy this season (or any season in the future), we can hunt whatever you want. Chukar, huns, quail, grouse, ducks (not many pheasant around here). Rowdy and I would love to have you along.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:42 am

orhunter wrote:Willie: I have some new acquaintances with a young Griff that have invited me to hunt with them this winter. I don't know where/what they hunt but just going along for the hike would be fun. Their dog is "interesting." Don't know the pedigree but it's a real clown. Know it needs more hunting than it gets. Probably never see how good it could have been? I don't know how another dog will fit our lives right now? Wife retired, she wants to travel, I like fishing too. When having a dog, a person needs to be dedicated to the dog and that is very restrictive...but I sure think about it a lot. I know my wife misses not having one around. If I had someone nearby who would take the dog when we're away, I'd have a new pup next spring. I should look into that? We've been through a period of low bird numbers for several years which is no time to be getting a dog anyhow. Can't have a bird dog without birds. It appears things are getting back on track so maybe?

Sounds to me like you need to find a good female, and let me send some of Taz frozen samples your way.!
jarbo03
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 am

Jarbo: When I was getting ready to breed Ellie, I was going to drive her to Wisconsin for a natural breeding. Kansas would work too. Always need an excuse to go for a drive. I went back to Wisconsin last May for that very reason, to go for a drive.

Thanks Eric for the invite. I'll see what I can come up with. You know where, had lots of birds last year. I bet it has even more this year. Maybe the good old days are back?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:08 am

Harvey: Always welcome here, regardless of time of year, I'm sure we could find something worthy to waste some time.
jarbo03
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Man seeing a guy and a dog outside hunting sure does make me jealous. Down here it has been one ruthless summer. 110 for the dove early season closer tomorrow should be fun till about 8am. Keep the pics and stories coming it's nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:56 pm

Is 92 here in northeast Kansas, and prairie chicken opens tomorrow. Have to make it a quick morning, the fuzzy dog doesn't like to run big in this heat.
jarbo03
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby carramrod » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:33 pm

We just got back from the same area Saturday. I'll try to get some pictures and post up later as well. I realized it's a great way to start the season...other than the 16-17 hour drive.

It was our first time there, and we found more than we expected. We didn't see another hunter in the field either, in towns we'd run into there here and there though.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Previous

Return to Hunting & Firearms