Leptospirosis Vaccine

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Leptospirosis Vaccine

Postby Dmog » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:32 pm

My wife got on me about taking the new 9wk pup out to a pond and letting it swim. The pup has had it’s first round of shots without Lepko vaccine. She kinda got me worried because of all the recent rain we have been getting. So I start researching Lepko vaccine. I heard the vaccine can be pretty tough on young pups, probably not as tough on them as the bacteria is though. I am interested in the pros and cons of this vaccine and recommended age to vaccines be if you choose to vaccinate for it.
Mog: Half man, half woolly dog.
Dmog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Leptospirosis Vaccine

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:32 pm

Have always had Lepto given with no adverse effects.
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:58 am

I'd go with what your vet recommends. Years ago, our son picked up a stray puppy while visiting his grandparents in Alabama. Where we lived in North Carolina, a vet visit was an all day trip, and we waited a few days before going. long story short, the pup got/had lepto and died from it.

There are many strains of lepto, and I'm not sure the vaccine(s) are effective against all of them. But you certainly want to provide all the protection you can.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:40 am

A lot of stuff is geographically confined and living/hunting where this stuff occurs (at the time of year it occurs) it’s wise to do the common sense thing. Don’t vaccinate/treat for stuff that is no threat just because your Vet recommends it. Be smarter than your Vet. I’ve had my dogs vaccinated for Lepto with no ill effects that I’ve noticed.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Charli » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:12 am

orhunter wrote:A lot of stuff is geographically confined and living/hunting where this stuff occurs (at the time of year it occurs) it’s wise to do the common sense thing. Don’t vaccinate/treat for stuff that is no threat just because your Vet recommends it. Be smarter than your Vet. I’ve had my dogs vaccinated for Lepto with no ill effects that I’ve noticed.

X2
Charli
Pup
Pup

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:13 am

UC Davis vaccine protocol calls for first vaccine no earlier than 12 weeks and a follow-up booster 2-4 weeks later and then annual. It states immunity probably lasts a year. Personally, I've seen no problems with the vaccine in my dog.

https://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/hospital ... guidelines

This is a lepto hotspot map from a paper written in 2017
lepto map 2017.JPG

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 331730059X
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dmog » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:37 am

Thanks...I appreciate the input. Like they say "Trust but verify".
Mog: Half man, half woolly dog.
Dmog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Healthcare