It finally almost here!

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

It finally almost here!

Postby Willie T » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:48 pm

5 days left till September! Our dove opener is Saturday. I've been shooting skeet, training and watching the Astros to get through the summer. Saturday we go live! Nothing like putting a shotgun and vest in the truck, loading up the dog and getting after some birds the first time of the year. That's enough on its own but college football is about to get started too. This is gonna be a long week.....
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: It finally almost here!

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:26 pm

My Brother, Spud and I are heading to KS Friday afternoon to hunt Doves for 3 days. Back home and then to IA for Teal, then to NM for Elk, then to SD for grouse ...
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:27 pm

The first blue wings have started showing up here. Season is still a few weeks away though. Hope y'all have a good shoot.
Edit to add:
I have planned ND for two weeks. Stop in Kansas on the way home. AZ. for mearns quail, then California quail, and Kansas late season again in addition to what Texas has to offer.
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:07 pm

Go get 'em boys (and girls). Mountain quail opens September 7, that'll be our season opener. This is the 3rd decent precip year in a row following a few year drought, quail number should be pretty decent.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:28 pm

Hope everyone has a safe and great hunt.
I will be taking Gus dove hunting opening day and many after hopefully , this is his first season ,we will see. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Texasphez » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:33 pm

Going to miss the dove opener here in Texas, headed to Colorado for a bighorn sheep hunt! My nephew won the hunting lottery and drew a tag, so I'm going! Don't know if pudelpointers are worth a damn on sheep hunts or not, but guess we're going to find out, cause he's going with me! Even got him his own pack so he can pull his own weight!
Texasphez
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby carramrod » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:22 pm

Texasphez wrote:Going to miss the dove opener here in Texas, headed to Colorado for a bighorn sheep hunt! My nephew won the hunting lottery and drew a tag, so I'm going! Don't know if pudelpointers are worth a damn on sheep hunts or not, but guess we're going to find out, cause he's going with me! Even got him his own pack so he can pull his own weight!

That sounds awesome. I might get into done this weekend, butt heading to Montana the next weekend for some grouse.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:53 am

TXPHEZ - Excellent choice and adventure.

Safe Travels and Happy Hunting to all. Post up some photos along the way.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:20 am

Texasphez wrote:Going to miss the dove opener here in Texas, headed to Colorado for a bighorn sheep hunt! My nephew won the hunting lottery and drew a tag, so I'm going! Don't know if pudelpointers are worth a damn on sheep hunts or not, but guess we're going to find out, cause he's going with me! Even got him his own pack so he can pull his own weight!

Congrats to the nephew Texasphez. Hopefully he will need your help packing out a ram. Safe travels to y'all.
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Texasphez » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:54 am

Yeah it's going to be a trip for sure! I've been fortunate in that I've hunted dalls in the Yukon, stones in BC, going back to BC next year, but this could very well be the only bighorn hunt I ever get to participate in. Tags are just to hard to come by, and with Colorado changing their application process it's going to be even harder! So I'm treating this as my one shot at hunting bighorns, being the trigger puller in secondary to all the rest of it!

AG,
Where are you hunting elk?

Willie,
Sounds like you have quite a fall planned! Found out yesterday that we all drew our swan permits, so we'll be up there last weekend of oct.
Texasphez
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:37 am

SW NM next to the Gila. I missed out on the sheep and regret it. Was focused on other pursuits when young and cost is prohibitive now. Going with others is an excellent option. Look forward to seeing your post. And everyone’s.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:17 pm

AZGFD survey says due to the drought we have a staggering 10 million doves less than last year. those 20 million that survived had better steer clear of things with beards cause Saturday morning we are back on the war path! Knock'em dead.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Stretch » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:56 pm

Leaving for Montana tomorrow afternoon to kick off our season. I can’t wait.
Stretch
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Texasphez » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:55 am

Well we got it done! Spotted a group of rams our first day and decided to focus on them until we either got one or were forced to do something different! Seven days and here he is!
IMG_3879.JPG

And since this is a versatile dog form, here's my pp/sheep dog!
IMG_3867.JPG
Texasphez
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Willie T » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:20 am

Awesome! Congrats to y'all for capitalizing on the opportunity of a lifetime. Cool on the swan permits. We will be heading up there November 1.
Willie.
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to Hunting & Firearms