Fish Trap for Pigeons

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Fish Trap for Pigeons

Postby Dmog » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:44 pm

I have a EDMBG Double Door Collapsible FISH TRAP that looks like it could be easily modified into a pigeon trap. Anyone tried this? Dimesions are 3' feet LENGTH x 13.5" inches TALL x 12" inches WIDE. I am thinking the doors might need modified a bit to give a little more open area to get them to push in but looks doable.
Attachments
Fish trap.jpg
Mog: Half man, half woolly dog.
Dmog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Fish Trap for Pigeons

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:36 pm

don't no, cant really see the funnel for the opening, you could always order pigeon trap barbs from ebay, 10 piece set for $14.50and use 5 on each end od the trap. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:46 pm

With modification, that would work. From about 7" down to the ground, remove the vertical wires from the throat to about 4" back, leaving flexibe "fingers". Bend the fingers so they are parallel and about 3" apart. You want it wide enough that the birds will have to push to get past them. Once inside the trap, if they try to get out, the wire fingers will prevent it. Pre-bait the area to get the birds used to the trap. Once accustomed to feeding near the trap, put very little bait in front of the trap, more in the throat, and a pile just past the fingers.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Dmog » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:50 pm

Made modifications similar to what was suggested. Place trap out with doors open on top of grain elevator where pigeons have been landing and baited all around and in the trap with wheat. First day all the wheat around the trap and at the ends was eaten up, so far so good, they are getting used to the trap. I bet they will be going in and out in a day or two.
Last edited by Dmog on Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:05 pm

keep us posted on how it works. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:37 am

If all the grain is eaten outside the trap and they aren't going in, first try adding a little grain in the throat of the trap and be sure there is a lot just past the throat. If that doesn't catch birds, try opening the throat wider; if it's too tight, they won't push their way in. If it still isn't catching birds, post some pics of the throat and we may be able to make some suggestions.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Dmog » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:59 pm

Pigeons went inside on day 2 and ate up all the grain. I rebaited throat area and inside with doors open again through weekend. They ate it all up. Tied up with work and will be unable to check the trap daily this week so baited it again today. Ready to lower the doors to trap them on the next go around when I can regularly check the trap. I will update status when its go time.
Dmog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:40 pm

Didn't realize you had the trap open so they could come and go, which is a good thing. Appears they are now well accustomed to the trap. When you set it to catch, you should have a number of birds in it, depending on the size of the trap.
flitecontrol
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Dmog » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:20 am

It worked, caught 3 pigeons after 5 hours. Only problem now is I will need to design a better way to get the pigeons out. Trap has to be unclipped on one end to open it. I think I will cut and hinge a door on the top.
Dmog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:58 am

That usually works best. Make the door large enough so that you can reach the corners of the trap easily. You might also want to use a file to smooth out the cut ends of the openings. Raw ends can make some nasty scratches.
flitecontrol
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to General Discussion