UT Test - ready?

North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Tests

Moderator: Moderator Pack

UT Test - ready?

Postby Talking point » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:37 am

How do you know when your dog is ready for the test? First time trying this and fear of failure has me hesitant to send in test application. Test in three weeks, need to decide soon.
Talking point
Pup
Pup

Re: UT Test - ready?

Postby Deuce » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:49 am

If you have the luxury of training with a judge, I'd get their opinion.

You probably have a pretty good idea of strengths/weakness with the dog. Is there something in particular you're worried about?

Outside that, show up and run. Your score will show the areas that need improvement. Are you looking for a particular score? If not, running is the best way to show you. If so, I'd encourage you to not go into the first one with expectations. Those nerves go right down the leash.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ckirsch » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:32 pm

Steadiness and the duck search are the two things that derail a lot of UT tests. Do you have your dog pretty solid on both?
ckirsch
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Don » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:50 pm

The best thing to do is enter and commit yourself to being ready. If you don't run the test how do you know. I have seen lots of maximum score dogs in the dog box and on the leash. (At least in the handlers opinion)
Don
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:37 pm

It isn’t the end of the world if dog doesn’t perform to your expectations. You could run the test two days in a row and get 180 one day and 204 the next. Same dog, different day.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Meridiandave » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:42 pm

I am exactly three weeks out from my test. I ran through a mock test last Saturday and yesterday. She has been really strong on the duck search, long retrieves and duck drag.

She has been steady on pigeons throughout the process. She chased on chukars last Saturday and broke on the pigeons yesterday. She knows the difference of when we are going to try and shoot them.

I cannot believe how much work I have put into this and it all culminates in three weeks. I was told yesterday that I am in a very good place and that the hard parts are done.
I am still very nervous because of the steady to fall.
Last edited by Meridiandave on Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:46 pm

Talking point wrote:How do you know when your dog is ready for the test? First time trying this and fear of failure has me hesitant to send in test application. Test in three weeks, need to decide soon.

3 weeks away? You sure it isn't filled already? Many tests around me fill up months in advance. For example our 3 day October test has been full since early July. Most of it was filled by June.

As far as knowing, you should pretty much know by now. Do you train with a chapter? Are you fortunate enough to be able to train with a judge or experienced UT/Invitational level trainer. A number of chapters are blessed with at least one of either a judge or succesful handler. Good luck in your decision and training.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Don » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:23 am

Making mistakes on a training day is a good thing. You get to work on correcting the problem. Much better than falling apart test day after perfect training sessions.
Don
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby JONOV » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:00 pm

I've seen three dogs that have qualified for the 2017 or 2018 invitational, and when trying to requalify, either in anticipation of having to run the IT again, or after not earning the VC, get a prize three or a no score.

In fact, I've seen two that didn't pass the second time around even though they'll test at the invitational this summer. One passed a third time with a prize one.

If you know the retrieves are to hand, if you know the duck search is what it takes, if the steadiness is there, test.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Talking point » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:43 pm

Thanks for all the input. I will let you know how it goes.
Talking point
Pup
Pup

Postby Meridiandave » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:43 pm

I am now two weeks out. Just did training this morning. I only did a birds and a drag. She really held point wrll tiday. We tried a lit of stuff trying to get her to break. We will see how it goes a week from Friday.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Duckdon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:54 pm

The AIMS Test Booklet. It lays it out for you.
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:52 pm

Duckdon wrote:The AIMS Test Booklet. It lays it out for you.

This is a big ask of people with little experience in NAVHDA. The AIMS book should be required reading for sure. But translating what's written in AIMS to what the judges really want to see on test day is (IMO) a pretty big challenge for novice handlers. NAVHDA chapter training days are your friend if you can find one close enough to attend.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:41 pm

blue04 wrote:
Duckdon wrote:The AIMS Test Booklet. It lays it out for you.

This is a big ask of people with little experience in NAVHDA. The AIMS book should be required reading for sure. But translating what's written in AIMS to what the judges really want to see on test day is (IMO) a pretty big challenge for novice handlers. NAVHDA chapter training days are your friend if you can find one close enough to attend.

I'm pretty much with you on the 'translation' thing. That said, if you really want to get an education, make it to one of the NAVHDA Handlers' Clinics.

It's pretty impressive what you can learn taking that one in. Not just on how the scoring works, but the insights to dog behavior and training.
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to NAVHDA