Here's a new one for me...

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Here's a new one for me...

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:46 pm

Roaded Rowdy this past weekend, conditioning his feet for the season (like I always have). Checked his feet after roading him. All his pads were good. Then yesterday I notice him licking/chewing his rear paw so I check it out and sure enough a blown pad. I figured maybe I missed that one when I initially checked. Oh well, just let it heal. Then today I notice him licking/chewing a different paw, his front one this time. This one was "blown" too. Actually, both pads he has nibbled on them enough that they look blown. I am thinking that his feet were probably sore from roading him but not totally blown so he then chewed on them and actually blew them. I have not seen this before. Anyone else seen it?
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Here's a new one for me...

Postby orhunter » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:38 pm

I’ve had a dog that licked them off from alergy. Forget how I treated them?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:38 pm

Likely blistered but not torn when you looked.

Give them time to heal then do about half the road time and work up to it.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:50 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Likely blistered but not torn when you looked.

Give them time to heal then do about half the road time and work up to it.

That would make sense on the blistered part. And yeah, obviously overdid it a bit on the road time.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:25 pm

Better now than during hunting season!!
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:58 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Better now than during hunting season!!

The first thing I thought of, literally. 1 month to go until prairie sharpies. But the country ain't too rough. Chukar a few weeks after that.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:33 am

I've seen it twice...

First time in my dog after a week on the prairie. I had chalked it up to over use. We had him at the vet when he came back for a couple reasons, vet told me the feet were from an allergy. I had fed him the food my buddy uses all week. The vet said it could have been the different food, or it could have been he was allergic to something he was running on.

The second time I've seen it was in a GSP that I fostered that was neurotic. The dog initially would focus on busting out of the crate. When I zip tied the crate shut, he took to licking/chewing his paws bloody.

Of course, every other beach trip mine cuts his pads on an oyster bed, but they bleed like crazy for fifteen minutes and heal in a hurry.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Doc E » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:27 am

We "free road" our dogs every day of the year. They have extremely tough feet.
Also, we supplement with Zinc Gluconate three times a week.
It also depends on what they are running on. Asphalt will hit 143* on a 90* day.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1435 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 265 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:39 pm

I have seen it ONCE from allergies. I see so many other more common allergy presentations it took allergy testing for me to be convinced that was for sure the cause. Usually over-use and rarely recurrent. The allergy case was having new lesions monthly.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Doc E wrote:We "free road" our dogs every day of the year. They have extremely tough feet.
Also, we supplement with Zinc Gluconate three times a week.
It also depends on what they are running on. Asphalt will hit 143* on a 90* day.

I run him on forest roads. Dirt with a good amount of rock. Definitely no asphalt.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:26 pm

JONOV wrote:I've seen it twice...

First time in my dog after a week on the prairie. I had chalked it up to over use. We had him at the vet when he came back for a couple reasons, vet told me the feet were from an allergy. I had fed him the food my buddy uses all week. The vet said it could have been the different food, or it could have been he was allergic to something he was running on.

The second time I've seen it was in a GSP that I fostered that was neurotic. The dog initially would focus on busting out of the crate. When I zip tied the crate shut, he took to licking/chewing his paws bloody.

Of course, every other beach trip mine cuts his pads on an oyster bed, but they bleed like crazy for fifteen minutes and heal in a hurry.

I am thinking MK probably nailed it, seeing as he is not neurotic at all. Sound temperament. Most likely they had blistered but not fully blown then the blew when he licked the blisters. Will keep an eye on him. He will be my only dog for a week in MT the first week of September so gotta have his feet healthy. Most likely will boot him while out there, just to be safe. Would suck to have him blow pads the first day or two then be screwed the rest of the time out there for hunting.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:07 pm

RowdyGSP wrote:
JONOV wrote:I've seen it twice...

I am thinking MK probably nailed it, seeing as he is not neurotic at all. Sound temperament. Most likely they had blistered but not fully blown then the blew when he licked the blisters. Will keep an eye on him. He will be my only dog for a week in MT the first week of September so gotta have his feet healthy. Most likely will boot him while out there, just to be safe. Would suck to have him blow pads the first day or two then be screwed the rest of the time out there for hunting.

Yeah, I doubt it had been a self-destructive thing unless something got in there that really irritated it.

Although, someone told me that they can damage their paws in a very short time on blacktop, something like walking across a parking lot. I have no idea if its true.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:13 pm

I am not sure there's anything inherently wrong with blacktop. I've been running my dog off my bike for years on it with no ill effects. The problem with blacktop, as previously mentioned, is that it gets incredibly hot, so we've always limited our runs to the early morning. I know blacktop isn't as hard as concrete, but it's probably harder than most native surfaces. So I sometimes wonder if there are long-term issues with that. The only noticeable problems I've run into is the tennis court at the school down there street. I'd take the kids down there to ride bikes and bring the dog along. That surface is incredibly gritty and I have to be careful with the hard stops that come along with playing fetch. There aren't many surfaces that are as nasty as some of the rock found in chukar country, so I think it's probably a good idea to get, and keep, those feet nice and tough during the off-season. I'd be interested to hear if others have had different experiences on blacktop.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby flitecontrol » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:26 pm

I run my dogs in the subdivision, a mix of asphalt and lawn grass, about two miles every day. Over the years, I've learned they will get raw pads within a day when running the dry grass in the Midwest unless I boot them.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to General Discussion