The Wonder Lead by Delmar Smith

Pointing, retrieving, flushing, tracking, behavioral issues, puppy training, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: The Wonder Lead by Delmar Smith

Postby flitecontrol » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:34 am

I like using a training table to teach whoa. When the dog remains steady when a live bird, in a harness or netting, is lowered in front of him, he's ready. I've taught several dogs this way, and none of them ever broke point and were steady to wing and shot. It's easier on the handler to use the table, and I think the dog learns what you want from him quicker than on the ground.
I've had several really good dogs, but none were perfect. Neither am I, so keep that in mind!
flitecontrol
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: The Wonder Lead by Delmar Smith

Postby Buck Dancer » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:27 am

flitecontrol wrote:I like using a training table to teach whoa. When the dog remains steady when a live bird, in a harness or netting, is lowered in front of him, he's ready. I've taught several dogs this way, and none of them ever broke point and were steady to wing and shot. It's easier on the handler to use the table, and I think the dog learns what you want from him quicker than on the ground.

I have an empty soap barrel I bought for $10 at a local car wash. Once a day I put the dog on the stabilized barrel and say whoa will stroking his back, works very well. They learn very well not to move if given the whoa command or their feet start slipping all over. Moving on the the whoa table with a live bird in front of them is a piece of cake after that.
Buck Dancer
Pup
Pup

Previous

Return to Training