Two dogs vs. one

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Two dogs vs. one

Postby Stretch » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:51 pm

Barrett my male Griff is 10 months. Can I be successful adding another young dog this year or should I wait. I’ve been working on Retrieving with Barrett all summer but now that the birds are mature enough to fly I’ve been taking him back out on wild birds. I run him at least every other night if not every night and he’s never been on pen raised bird besides NA test and two or three pigeons.
With all that being said Barrett hasn’t had a full season of hunting yet and we are going to be really busy this season trying to finish him out and maybe doing a UT test next spring.
Now the next thing is have no idea how to train a dog but I’ve been very lucky with Barrett and he’s just done everything.
Stretch
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Two dogs vs. one

Postby Stretch » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:03 pm

I guess I should ask when would be a good time to add another dog to the equation.
Stretch
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:03 pm

For me, personally speaking, Rowdy was 2 years old when I added another pup (Tygh) and I feel like I should have waited another year or two. In my situation I feel like I wasn't done finishing Rowdy at 2 years old and by adding a puppy, the training I was able to put towards Rowdy was sacrificed (having to work a full time job as well). If it were me, I would wait a year or two at least before adding another dog. But every situation is different. Although I think you may have answered your own question when you said "I have no idea how to train a dog..." maybe let Barrett continue to teach you about these wonderful dogs and make you a better handler before adding another one. Or who knows it could be the total opposite... he trained himself and now you are ready to train a new pup. In any case, let us know what you decide.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:02 am

Wait until you finish your current dog, or nearly so. If you IT next spring, that would be a good time for the next puppy to arrive
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:22 am

X3 I would wait until you have finished training your current dog. Training for the UT is an excellent goal which will benefit you both. I would hunt your pup as much as possible this coming season then train hard the following spring n summer before adding another dog. Young dogs benefit from hunting alone and doing that now with a second pup would rob your current pup of needed experience at a critical stage in its development,
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:46 am

Don't train them together, especially fetch. I'm talking about the play fetch when pup is really young. Ya don't want to screw up a good dog like I did.

Most people recommends 4 or 5 years between dogs, I think it should be longer, like 8 or 9.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:07 pm

orhunter wrote:Don't train them together, especially fetch. I'm talking about the play fetch when pup is really young. Ya don't want to screw up a good dog like I did.

Most people recommends 4 or 5 years between dogs, I think it should be longer, like 8 or 9.

What he said...
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:55 pm

Stretch wrote:I guess I should ask when would be a good time to add another dog to the equation.

I assume you're talking about adding another hunting dog.

I wouldn't want to deal with two geriatric dogs at the same time. Too much bad potential; Potential for lots of vet visits, costs, heartbreak. And, while this may sound bad, caring for the old dog can take it out of you from a lifestyle perspective, making sure that someone's around to let a dog out that can't go as long without toileting, cleaning, carrying an old dog in and out and in and out of the truck...One is enough.

If you just want another companion, or companion for your dog, go to the pound or local rescue org and find a nice pet that will think he won the lottery sitting on your couch.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:23 pm

Most add the 2nd dog at 5. With one dog he gets all the work and all the hunting. They learn much, much, faster.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:02 pm

Two utility dogs working as a team is a dream to hunt over. Yes, I will have two geriatrics, but right now I have two in their prime.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Harvest Moon Drahthaars- vom Herbstmond
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:23 pm

Handling two dogs at once is doable and often productive when hunting upland birds. Doves, Waterfowl, Blood Tracking, one dog is all I want to handle at a time, which makes it a challenge to provide enough opportunity to make the most of two Vdogs in those areas. I really favor hunting one dog a lot so that it can be all that it can be.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby greg jacobs » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:11 pm

I like to keep two dogs. Up in the rough chukar hills you can have a dog down for a while. I like to seperate them at 5 years. You always have a dog in its prime that way. Training wise I would space them 3 or 4 years apart for the normal guy
greg jacobs
Started
Started

Postby Spindog » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:41 pm

In a perfect world.....
4-5 years seems ideal. That way you never end up with two immature needle tooth misfit puppies or 2 Seniors who unfortunately can't spend the afternoon in the woods with you.
But if the right dog comes along....
Dan J.
Guinness Da Grazia Male Spinone RIP Buddy
Macello Da Grazia Male Spinone Brown & White RIP Chow
Hidalgo's Leonardo da Vinci Male Bracco Italiano Orange & White
.ǝɯıʇ ɐ ʇɐ pɹıq ǝuo uʍop ǝpısdn p1ɹoʍ bop pɹıq ǝɥʇ buıuɹnʇ .ǝuouıds uɐı1ɐʇı
Spindog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Duckdon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:52 am

orhunter wrote:Don't train them together, especially fetch. I'm talking about the play fetch when pup is really young. Ya don't want to screw up a good dog like I did.

orhunter, a question? How did you screw up a pup training with another dog?
Thanks
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:54 am

Stretch wrote:I guess I should ask when would be a good time to add another dog to the equation.

Training 2 dogs at the same time is "like a job". Unless you have the patience, time, money and ------------it can be taxing.
Don and Crew.
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion