Is my little girl coming into her first heat?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Is my little girl coming into her first heat?

Postby ryanr » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:36 pm

Okay, got home from work today. It was a bit hotter than anticipated, I had windows open but didn't turn fan on. Anyway came in and both dogs were worked up and in my 1yr and 3wk old female's crate it looked like she peed but then again not quite. Anyway I let them out to pee and I noticed hers was dark, and looked like it actually had blood in it. I got them plenty of fresh water and we went back out and she peed again and then again, yup dark and bit of blood it seemed. She was energetic though so we went to the lake for a quick run and swim. She happily swam for every dummy I tossed but she kept squatting to pee almost each time she came back. On the way back to the car she squatted to pee a couple more times. Not really much came out though. Came back fed them and added some chicken stock with the kibble in case they were dehydrated a bit. Ate it right up. Later she peed again. Not dark but at the end a couple spots of blood. She squatted nervously a couple more times, not much urine just spots of blood. Inside the house my male (neutered) was very interested in her hind end and as soon as he sniffed her he tried to mount her several times, she wasn't having it. Is my little girl growing up?

And if she is in heat should I put some more space between the two dogs crates? Unfortunately I can't put one in another closed room right now so the best I can do is put one in the kitchen and the other in the living room while I'm at work. I'm reluctant to put my male outside in his kennel because my neighbors have horses, chickens and ducks (and lots of manure) and the flies can be pretty bothersome to my dog out there. Plus, when I'm at work my neighbor just let's her chickens out and most of them end up in my yard all day. It'd drive him nuts.
Last edited by ryanr on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Is my little girl coming into her first heat?

Postby hicntry » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:04 pm

Sounds like a bladder infection from being crated for extended periods to me. UTI's aren't like heats.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:41 pm

hicntry wrote:Sounds like a bladder infection from being crated for extended periods to me. UTI's aren't like heats.

I should add she seems a bit swollen too and of course there is my male's sudden extra interest (although he's neutered.) I hope it's not a UTI.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:20 am

hicntry wrote:Sounds like a bladder infection from being crated for extended periods to me. UTI's aren't like heats.

Sounds like it could be a UTI and first heat! If it is, I'd say she's vulnerable to develop pyrometra, get her to the vet. Girl dogs and their indoor plumbing are a pain in the ass :oops:
Urban_Redneck
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:37 am

Thanks UR & HC. I'm gonna call my vet today. After more observation last evening and this morning, her urine appears normal in color but after she is done urinating, some actual drops of blood come out too. And this morning there seemed to be a slight increase to the blood dripping out after she is done urinating. The blood definitely doesn't seem to be in the actual urine though.

In case there's a UTI, for now I at least gave her a crushed up tablet of 500mg Vitamin C and a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Is she drinking more water than usual?
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:20 pm

STait wrote:Is she drinking more water than usual?

No, not really. When I first got home yesterday she did, actually they both did but like I said it was hotter than I thought it was going to be and although I had the windows open, I forgot to turn the fan on. They both seemed thirsty. But after that it's been pretty normal.

I called my vet's office and spoke to one of the tech's. I gave her the run down and she said based on what I told her that it's likely she's just going into her first heat. But she said if I wanted to be cautious I could get a urine sample and bring it in for them. So that is what I'm going to do. I'll go home today after work and see what I come home to and then collect a urine sample and drop it off to them tomorrow.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby booger » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:48 pm

My female did mark like a male while entering and during heat. I noticed the same dark/blood pee. She'd clean herself though so it was hard to tell she was spotting at first. My dog swelled up pretty good too.
booger
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby mastercaster » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:00 pm

Last edited by mastercaster on Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mastercaster » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:02 pm

My griff went through her first heat a few months back when she was just over 14 months old. I was expecting it to happen any week back then so I watching for the signs. When it happened I noticed her vulva was swollen and that there was a little spotting on the laminate flooring. I especially noticed the spotting on about the second or third day,,,,one time it was much more than a spot! It was like a murder had taken place. It only happened that one time, though, and from then on it was just spotting here and there. A quick wipe with a moist piece of paper towel was all the clean up needed.

When she would jump off the couch she always left a few spots but that was after I decided that wearing the doggie underwear wasn't going to be an option anymore. The first two pairs I put on her the second I'd leave her on her own for a few minutes she would eat a hole in the crotch! From that point on I just put some old towels on her bed and on the couch. She wasn't much of a bleeder, it being her first heat and all.

I wouldn't worry about separating her from your neutered male. She'll put him in his place pretty darn quick, especially during the first week when females in heat won't accept males. In the second phase of her cycle she may ,,,, but nothing is going to happen, in any event.

I found the biggest pain in the butt was having to take her every where on her lead,,,,no off leash activities until the 20th day.
Last edited by mastercaster on Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mastercaster » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:03 pm

Sorry
Last edited by mastercaster on Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mastercaster » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:04 pm

mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mastercaster » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Dang computer
mastercaster
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Well I come home this afternoon. Take her out to pee and she's fine. No dark urine, no blood in urine and no blood after she's done either. Every time I took her out tonight to pee tonight there was nothing. I don't even think she's swollen either. Weird. Still gonna take a urine sample in tomorrow morning to rule infection out.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:13 am

I found the biggest pain in the butt was having to take her every where on her lead,,,,no off leash activities until the 20th day.

Unless you've previously bred or done LH/progesterone testing you won't know your dog's fertile period. Some dogs can ovulate late in their cycle and be fertile on day 20. Every dog is different and don't follow "normal" timelines.
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion