Scorching HOT NA test success!

Wanna brag about an accomplishment or share something good? Do it here!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Scorching HOT NA test success!

Postby ryanr » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:55 am

Ran my 1yr GWP pup in her NA test over the weekend in 93 degree weather. She was great, I had so much fun. She earned a 105 Prize 2, we got a 3 in search and a 3 in cooperation. Judges said she searched well once she got moving but she didn't exactly break hard out of the gate, lol. The first gun shot got her going and then she was off!

We ran 2nd in the order and our field search portion started shortly after 6AM. Grass and hay was soaked with dew and to my dismay absolutely no breeze that early. Made it tough, there had been 5 deer in the field first thing and she worked that scent a bit. She went on point two different times, then worked thru it- a few feathers left in each spot but no chukars. She's got a good nose and strong point but after 10 minutes and not finding an early bird was getting me concerned. Then she had an unlucky bird contact, her first downwind contact was right over top the bird. She stopped immediately but then it flushed in her face simultaneously. She chased for about 25 yards and then I whistled her and she turned right back towards me and continued hunting the direction I indicated. But then she saw the bird planters watching too closely from their area. She just had to go say Hi, then she of course found the bird tent back in the woods. Took me a bit to get her away from there and I knew we were running short on time.

Then she went back up to where the start point was and it took me a while to get her back in the field. Found out later, she found a couple used birds from the previous dog's run that accidentally didn't get out in the dead bird cooler. The judges then called for a bird and I wheeled her away to hunt in a different direction until they called me back. I got her hunting in that direction and she worked into the area and then it happened: she slammed into a beautiful intense point! I actually let out a quiet "oh thank God" that gave my handling judge a laugh. They said to leash her up and she broke as I got close and caught the bird. I couldn't get ahold of her but she turned and started heading up towards the field exit so I just kept heading that way to usher her out. We were almost out of the field when she ran back past me and apparently just had to go show the judges the bird one more time as they were trying to discuss her field score. They laughed and helped me try to get her, she's quick and it was like herding cats but we finally got her distracted to drop the bird and I got her leashed. Hello 3 in cooperation though, LOL.

By the time we did the tracks the temperature hit a very humid 90 degrees and the dogs were really feeling it. She was a little machine though on her track, just as she showed me in our prep work. And with the pheasant well hidden in cover she made the most of her opportunity to point another bird and did so beautifully. I pumped my fist because I didn't know if we needed it but I was sure glad to have another pointed bird!

She went right into the water of the cool spring-fed pond but of course getting her out was another story. She even gave the judges another laugh when she swam over into the marsh grass and started her own little duck search! (Reinforcing we were getting that 3 in cooperation though :lol: )

I couldn't be happier with this pup. I'll give her a week or so before we start force breaking. We'll start with heeling for a bit before going right into Force Fetch.
Schwarzwald's Hazel, NA 105 Prize 2
Quade vom Buffeltaler, NA 112 Prize 1
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Scorching HOT NA test success!

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:54 pm

I enjoy watching a pup get a little wild. Congratulations. You owe us photos.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:49 pm

AverageGuy wrote:I enjoy watching a pup get a little wild. Congratulations. You owe us photos.

Thanks. Man, I didn't get any photos of her on that day. We ran a double test at 2 different sites and were a little shorter than normal on volunteers so I jumped in a bit pulling double duty. So with everything going on I just forgot but I will have to post a photo or two of her to show how darn cute she is. Impossible to get upset at. People always comment her face and expressions just shout Joy! I gotta remember my photo hosting site password.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:35 pm

“A little wild.” A 3 in cooperation is a compliment. Sounds like a good dog. There is no substitute for ‘thusiasm....
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaar1108 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:34 pm

Congratulations, well done in all the heat. Forrest
Drahthaar1108
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:01 am

love that story - congrats!
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:26 am

Thanks everyone. Forgot to add her bite and teeth were okay and her coat was judged medium dense and harsh. I thought for sure it would be judged dense, as it is much denser than my older dog's and he was medium dense/medium harsh. And most everyone that has looked her over has said they thought dense too. No biggie, I trust the judging team especially the senior who is one of the most experienced judges and handlers in all of NAVHDA. That was actually one of my favorite aspects of the test for me, getting to run her in front of him as the senior judge.

Gonna wait until this heatwave ends here in the East before we begin the force breaking.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deuce » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:36 am

You've got a hell of a huntin' dog on your hands, she's a pistol. It was fun to watch her run. Congrats on the success!
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:24 pm

Deuce wrote:You've got a hell of a huntin' dog on your hands, she's a pistol. It was fun to watch her run. Congrats on the success!

Thanks, I really enjoyed having you as my handling judge. You kept me breathing and in good humor too when I thought that field run was going south on us. In my mind I was actually starting to go into a panic late because I couldn't remember if we had to end exactly at 20 minutes or if it was just at least 20 minutes. Would love to run her in front of you and the same team in UT if I was so lucky. Have a great summer and hope to run into you again down the road. I needed that laugh you gave me after she pointed calmed me right back down for the rest of the day. I needed it. Thanks again for your efforts.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:50 pm

Did any of her littermates run the same NA?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:56 pm

Yes, one of her sisters ran right behind her. 110, Prize 1. Funny part was her owner and I train together and her owner was a nervous wreck all week because the dog decided to bust in on two birds last week but we got them launched. All through spring I've been the calm one not concerned at all and I kept telling her not to worry, she'll be fine. Then test day I start out calm but got nervous about our field run and she was the one telling me not to worry.

The entire litter of 7 pups tested this spring and all dogs prized. Five Prize 1's and two 105 Prize 2's.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:30 am

ryanr wrote:The entire litter of 7 pups tested this spring and all dogs prized. Five Prize 1's and two 105 Prize 2's.

Nice Litter and a good example of the purpose and value of the NA test.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Brags and Wags