Fish Skin Treats

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Fish Skin Treats

Postby draht1516 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:31 pm

I see a lot of fish based teats that look like compressed, dehydrated fish skins in the shops. A neighbor of mine dehydrates the skins he keeps from trout, crappie pike etc for his dog and I was thinking of doing the same for my pup. Just got back from a fishing trip and have a freezer full of walleye fillets and was thinking about dehydrating them to use as treats/chews for my 5 month old.

Any one else do this with there dogs? Any risks?
draht1516
Pup
Pup

Re: Fish Skin Treats

Postby orhunter » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:25 am

I fed my dogs lots of salmon but as a healthy food supplement and not treats. Kinda off subject but I generally don't give a dog treats with the exception of Costco dog bone in the evening. Back on subject.... Your idea of feeding fish is great if you have a safe way to do the drying process. I would try and find genuine instructions as to how to do it to avoid bacterial contamination. Another concern is where the fish comes from if you're doing salmon and related species. If the salmon comes from the west coast from N. California to SE AK, it will need to be cooked prior to feeding.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:30 am

If the salmon comes from the west coast from N. California to SE AK, it will need to be cooked prior to feeding.

VERY important ~ ~ ~
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1435 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 265 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby draht1516 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:29 pm

Would be mostly Walleye and Pike...
draht1516