pups and airplanes...

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

pups and airplanes...

Postby jph » Fri May 11, 2018 8:26 am

Anybody have experience and info on flying with a puppy? What are the steps i need to take to make sure it's a good experience?
jph
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: pups and airplanes...

Postby bhennessy » Fri May 11, 2018 11:33 am

I’m assuming as cargo? If so, I’ve only had good experiences, despite the bad stories you hear. Success doesn’t play in the media unfortunately. I’m sure my griff isn’t a huge fan of flying but he does fine.

Make your reservation early and ensure you get a good handle on the details via the airline’s website and asking the person on the phone. Kennel issues trip people up so know the size, make, and other restrictions, or get it in writing from the airline that yours will work. Case in point, I have a Gunner Kennel for my griff and it’s a way better kennel than the one required by the airline. It took some back and forth and a little modification for them to accept it, but they sent me an email approving the kennel. Essentially I had to mount two bowls on the inside to meet their requirements.

I’d avoid flying your dog in the summer months, at least to/from/through hot parts of the country as well. Heat on the ground and waiting in the cargo hold is what kills the majority of dogs. I don’t think most carriers will take pets at certain hot locations in the summer any longer.

Finally, show up early as the paperwork takes some time and the drop off/pick up locations can be far away from where you need to go through security, assuming you are going with. If things go smoothly and you’ve got lots of time, then run your pup around outside for a bit until you need to put him in the kennel.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri May 11, 2018 8:11 pm

jph wrote:Anybody have experience and info on flying with a puppy? What are the steps i need to take to make sure it's a good experience?

I’ve flown with a 12 week old in the cabin and checked an older dog under the LL e for a hunting trip...what would you like to know?

Get your paperwork in order, everything is published on their websites (at least for major carriers) but expectairport staff to be flummoxed. Some don’t care a lick and some take it upon themselves to act as Lord High Inquisitor for every detail.

If checking underneath the plane check the weather rules.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ANick » Sat May 12, 2018 9:50 am

As noted, check carrier websites .. closely.
Carriers have really put some thought into pet transportation programs, and changes to those programs are on-going.
Domestic and International flights have differing requirements.
Blackouts exist on the basis of breed, destination as well as seasons.
Crate size and construction. Carriers have adopted some very roomy guidelines for crate size so read and measure. A pup may be able to go under the seat, emphasis on 'may'.

I would consider a dedicated service, at least a quote, for shipping if not travelling with the pup.

That said, the more comfortable the pup is with travelling and the crate, the better.
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AlaskaMagnum » Sat May 12, 2018 8:02 pm

I picked mine up and flew it in the cabin. Sent an airline approved carrier to the breeder and had him acclimate her. Spent $100 to fly her with me. I had a couple Kong's with peanut butter (xylitol free) just in case.

Went off without a hitch and I would do it again.
AlaskaMagnum
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby JONOV » Sun May 13, 2018 11:12 pm

AlaskaMagnum wrote:I picked mine up and flew it in the cabin. Sent an airline approved carrier to the breeder and had him acclimate her. Spent $100 to fly her with me. I had a couple Kong's with peanut butter (xylitol free) just in case.

Went off without a hitch and I would do it again.

Don’t you love paying $100 for the privilege of bringing a dog that’s no larger than the carry on you forego to travel with the pup? It makes you feel a little less resentful of those that get one over using the ESA loophole.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to General Discussion